Re: [lxx] Re: Gen 25:27 aplastos

  • Sigrid Peterson
    Message 1 of 18 , May 30, 2009
      Note that the Greek APLOJ -- i.e. "aplos" -- means "simple; simply" as does
      the Hebrew TAM, the first according to BAG-D.

      Sigrid Peterson, PhD
      Coordinator
      CCAT/CATSS Variants Project
      Department of Religious Studies
      201 Logan Hall
      University of Pennsylvania
      Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

      petersig {at} ccat.sas.upenn.edu
      001-215-898-7453 (Department)
      001-215-275-2740 (Cell)

      On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM, patandjimellis <jim@...> wrote:

      > --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com <lxx%40yahoogroups.com>, jim@... wrote:
      > >
      > > Attached are 3 jpeg files.
      > > The first shows a portion of the Thompson LXX where it says Jacob was "a
      > man of plain manners."
      > >
      > > The second is from the Apostolic Polyglot where Jacob is called "a simple
      > man."
      > >
      > > The third is from page 34 of the Lexical Concordance of the Apostolic
      > Bible and gives a definition of "aplastos" which is only used this one place
      > (Genesis 25:27) in the LXX
      > >

      > > --- On Sat, 5/30/09, James <jamesjay@...> wrote:
      > >

      > Sorry, I guess we cannot use attachments in this forum.
      >
      > In the Lexical Concordance of the Apostolic Bible Polyglot the word
      > "aplastos" is defined as "unfeigned, simple, sincere" and it shows that
      > Genesis 25:27 is the only place it is used in the Greek Bible. It assigns it
      > Strongs number 571.1

    • James
      Message 2 of 18 , May 30, 2009
        jim@... wrote:

        > Attached are 3 jpeg files.

        .
        Thanks but didn't get them!
        JK

        > The first shows a portion of the Thompson LXX where it says Jacob was
        > "a man of plain manners."
        >
        > The second is from the Apostolic Polyglot where Jacob is called "a
        > simple man."
        >
        > The third is from page 34 of the Lexical Concordance of the Apostolic
        > Bible and gives a definition of "aplastos" which is only used this one
        > place (Genesis 25:27) in the LXX
        >
        > --- On Sat, 5/30/09, James <jamesjay@paonline. com
        > <mailto:jamesjay%40paonline.com>> wrote:
        >
        > Hello all;
        >
        > New to this group
        >
        > James Kirby
        >
        > Could anyone offer help on a word in Gen 25:27. The word is "aplastos".
        >
        > I cannot find any reference to this word in any lexicon & my copy of the
        >
        > LXX does not give a Strong's #. The Hebrew word is "tam" Strong's # 8535
        >
        > but I cannot find the Greek "aplastos".
        >
        > Thank you;
        >
        > James

      • James
        Message 3 of 18 , May 31, 2009
          Hello;

          Sigrid Peterson wrote:

          > Note that the Greek APLOJ -- i.e. "aplos" -- means "simple; simply" as
          > does
          > the Hebrew TAM, the first according to BAG-D.

          .
          What I am curious about is why did the KJV translate the Hebrew "tam"
          as "plain" in this verse.

          James

          > Sigrid Peterson, PhD
          > Coordinator
          > CCAT/CATSS Variants Project
          > Department of Religious Studies
          > 201 Logan Hall
          > University of Pennsylvania
          > Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA
          >
          > petersig {at} ccat.sas.upenn. edu
          > 001-215-898- 7453 (Department)
          > 001-215-275- 2740 (Cell)

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
          >
          > *
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lxx/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMDZlcHVuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTM3MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA4ODYyBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyNDM3NDEyOTI->

          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hqakr7p/M=493064.12016309.12445701.8674578/D=groups/S=1707208862:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1243748492/L=/B=9H7CCEPDhFM-/J=1243741292895776/K=h_aCsYDml_C_H5cqGd_NZQ/A=3848614/R=0/SIG=12t4qk00m/*http://news.yahoo.com/i/757;_ylt=A9FJqYzfwK5EFCQAswis0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc->
          >
          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hn9ii3a/M=493064.12016257.12445664.8674578/D=groups/S=1707208862:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1243748492/L=/B=9X7CCEPDhFM-/J=1243741292895776/K=h_aCsYDml_C_H5cqGd_NZQ/A=4507179/R=0/SIG=12de4rskk/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=50284/*http://finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance>
          >
          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hkk8uo8/M=493064.12662708.12980600.8674578/D=groups/S=1707208862:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1243748492/L=/B=9n7CCEPDhFM-/J=1243741292895776/K=h_aCsYDml_C_H5cqGd_NZQ/A=5349276/R=0/SIG=11nhsqmjq/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/EverydayWellness/>

        • James
          Message 4 of 18 , May 31, 2009
            Sigrid Peterson wrote:

            > Note that the Greek APLOJ -- i.e. "aplos" -- means "simple; simply" as
            > does
            > the Hebrew TAM, the first according to BAG-D.

            .
            Is that word in the new testament?

            Thank you;
            James Kirby
          • Louis Sorenson
            Message 5 of 18 , May 31, 2009
              ἁπλοῦς, -ῆ, -οῦν simple, open, sincere (LXX 1; NT 2x > ἁπλότης (8x))
              ἄπλαστος (LXX 1; NT 0)
              TLG Word search:
              ἀδιάπλαστος (4) ἄπλαστος (72) κατάπλαστος (18)
              ἀνάπλαστος (1) εὐδιάπλαστος (3) παράπλαστος (1)

              To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
              From: jamesjay@...
              Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 13:08:05 -0400
              Subject: Re: [lxx] Re: Gen 25:27 aplastos

              Message 6 of 18 , May 31, 2009
                James,
                Is this for homework? Then please note the reference materials quoted in
                response to your question, and use them. We aren't usually users of Strong
                numbers. LATER: Thanks for answering your own question by using TLG to check
                frequency and location of the word uses.

                The NETS translation of the LXX uses "a simple man" for what you
                questioned as APLASTOJ/aplastos, which probably is a superlative of
                APLOUJ/aplous. So it might have been interpreted as "the simplest of men."
                The syntax is odd, but then LXX syntax often is. In this case it follows
                Hebrew syntax with the modifier after the noun, in the phrase ISH TAM. BAGD
                lists the superlative APLOUSTATOJ, s.v. APLOUJ, with a meaning "quite
                simple, guileless," as of doves -- found in Philo, among others. Think of
                the phrase Professor Higgins sings in My Fair Lady "I'm a most forgiving man
                . . ." Jacob is a "most simple" man, a "most guileless" man, compared to
                Esau!

                The NJPS translation of the Torah uses "mild" for TAM, as a comparison
                with Esau. Still, TAM can also mean "simple, plain, naive" in Hebrew. As to
                KJV translating TAM as "plain," that's ok; think of the phrase "plain and
                simple." It's okay, but it doesn't grab the contrast in the verse and the
                story as the dual implications of "simple" might, the contrast between Jacob
                and Esau, think of the oral signal to the listeners of this oral history,
                that there is conflict to come. Think of the LXX translator as listening to
                an oral reader of the Hebrew who puts a special emphasis on TAM, to foretell
                the guileful -- should I say "sneaky"? -- actions of Jacob.

                Here, I think the LXX has nailed it, in translating ISH TAM as ANTHRWPOJ
                APLASTOJ.

                On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 1:08 PM, James <jamesjay@...> wrote:

                > Sigrid Peterson wrote:
                > >

                > > Note that the Greek APLOJ -- i.e. "aplos" -- means "simple; simply" as
                > > does
                > > the Hebrew TAM, the first according to BAG-D.
                > >

                > .
                > Is that word in the new testament?
                >
                > Thank you;
                > James Kirby

              • James
                Message 7 of 18 , May 31, 2009
                  Gooday!

                  Sigrid Peterson wrote:

                  > James,
                  > Is this for homework?

                  .
                  More for my own personal studies. Thank you for a very helpful
                  answer/explanation. Allow me to explain my quest. In cultivating an
                  interest in the Hebrew language for the purpose of reading the OT I came
                  across this site on Ancient Hebrew;

                  http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/index.html

                  The site makes the following claim;

                  "This Greek influence can be clearly seen in names such as Moses which
                  comes to us from the Greek Septuagint whereas in the Hebrew it is
                  Mosheh. Another example is the name Eve, again from the Greek, where the
                  Hebrew has Hhawa. The list is about as long as the number of names in
                  the Bible. A little more serious is how the translations have actually
                  used the Greek Septuagint for its translation rather than from the
                  Hebrew text. An example is Genesis 25:27 where all the translations use
                  the words "plain", "quiet" or "simple" to describe the character of
                  Jacob. However, the Hebrew word is "tam" and it is properly translated
                  in Job 1:1 as "perfect" to describe the character of Job. Why is this
                  one Hebrew word translated as "plain" in one place but "perfect" in
                  another? The answer is that the translators are using the Greek
                  Septuagint rather than the Hebrew for the translation of the Hebrew Bible."

                  I am attempting to ascertain just how accurate the claim "the
                  translations have actually used the Greek Septuagint for its translation
                  rather than from the Hebrew text / that the translators are using the
                  Greek Septuagint rather than the Hebrew for the translation of the
                  Hebrew Bible" is. Since I only see this in the KJV I would assume that
                  this is who he is referring to by "the translators" but I have not
                  heard that the men who translated the KJV did so using the LXX.
                  Perhaps you or someone else can comment on that.

                  Thank you again;
                  James Kirby
                  .
                • Kostas Papadopoulos
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 2, 2009
                    Hi,
                    The word itself means not-formed (a=<negative prefix> + plastos=formated [from the v. plasso = to form]). Since it is possible for "plastos" to have the meaning of "fabricated" according to Hesychius lexicon (5th c. AD)ie. not the truth (Aesch.) - "a-plastos" could have the - metaphorical - meanning of "truthful" and could me a possible rendering of "thm".
                    "Simple" in Greek is "aplous" (not-complicated, from nevative "a" + plous=multi (like in "multi-plication"). The two words aplous/aplastos seem related but not directly).

                    See also:
                    Hesychious lexicon
                    5123 απλαστος (aplastos)
                    ἄ-πλαστος, ον, not moulded, i. e. in its natural state, natural, unaffected, Plut.

                    --- Στις Κυρ., 31/05/09, ο/η James <jamesjay@...> έγραψε:

                    > Από: James <jamesjay@...>
                    > Θέμα: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
                    > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                    > Ημερομηνία: Κυριακή, 31 Μάιος 2009, 4:13
                    > Hello all;
                    >
                    > New to this group
                    >
                    > James Kirby
                    >
                    > Could anyone offer help on a word in Gen 25:27. The word is
                    > "aplastos".
                    > I cannot find any reference to this word in any lexicon
                    > & my copy of the
                    > LXX does not give a Strong's #. The Hebrew word is "tam"
                    > Strong's # 8535
                    > but I cannot find the  Greek "aplastos".
                    >
                    > Thank you;
                    > James

                    >     mailto:lxx-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                  • James
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 2, 2009
                      Thank you very much. Most helpful!

                      James Kirby

                      Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > The word itself means not-formed (a=<negative prefix> +
                      > plastos=formated [from the v. plasso = to form]). Since it is possible
                      > for "plastos" to have the meaning of "fabricated" according to
                      > Hesychius lexicon (5th c. AD)ie. not the truth (Aesch.) - "a-plastos"
                      > could have the - metaphorical - meanning of "truthful" and could me a
                      > possible rendering of "thm".
                      > "Simple" in Greek is "aplous" (not-complicated, from nevative "a" +
                      > plous=multi (like in "multi-plication" ). The two words
                      > aplous/aplastos seem related but not directly).
                      >
                      > See also:
                      > Hesychious lexicon
                      > 5123 απλαστος (aplastos)
                      > ἄ-πλαστος, ον, not moulded, i. e. in its natural state, natural,
                      > unaffected, Plut.
                      >
                      > --- Στις Κυρ., 31/05/09, ο/η James <jamesjay@paonline. com
                      > <mailto:jamesjay%40paonline.com>> έγραψε:
                      >
                      > > Από: James <jamesjay@paonline. com <mailto:jamesjay%40paonline.com>>
                      > > Θέμα: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
                      > > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups. com <mailto:lxx%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > Ημερομηνία: Κυριακή, 31 Μάιος 2009, 4:13
                      > > Hello all;
                      > >
                      > > New to this group
                      > >
                      > > James Kirby
                      > >
                      > > Could anyone offer help on a word in Gen 25:27. The word is
                      > > "aplastos".
                      > > I cannot find any reference to this word in any lexicon
                      > > & my copy of the
                      > > LXX does not give a Strong's #. The Hebrew word is "tam"
                      > > Strong's # 8535
                      > > but I cannot find the Greek "aplastos".
                      > >
                      > > Thank you;
                      > > James

                      > > mailto:lxx-fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com
                      > <mailto:lxx-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

                      > Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                      > Βαρεθήκατε τα ενοχλητικά μηνύματα (spam); Το Yahoo! Mail
                      > διαθέτει την καλύτερη δυνατή προστασία κατά των ενοχλητικών
                      > μηνυμάτων http://login. yahoo.com/ config/mail? .intl=gr
                      > <http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=gr>

                    • Branka ARRIVE
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 2, 2009
                        The two words ("haplous" and "aplastos") are not related at all. The "a" in "haplous" is from Indoeuropean *sem/sm*- (one, single) like in Latin "simplex" (those two words ARE related), whereas the "a" in "aplastos" is alpha privativum.

                        The word itself means not-formed (a=<negative prefix> + plastos=formated [from the v. plasso = to form]). Since it is possible for "plastos" to have the meaning of "fabricated" according to Hesychius lexicon (5th c. AD)ie. not the truth (Aesch.) - "a-plastos" could have the - metaphorical - meanning of "truthful" and could me a possible rendering of "thm".
                        "Simple" in Greek is "aplous" (not-complicated, from nevative "a" + plous=multi (like in "multi-plication"). The two words aplous/aplastos seem related but not directly).

                        See also:
                        Hesychious lexicon
                        5123 απλαστος (aplastos)
                        ἄ-πλαστος, ον, not moulded, i. e. in its natural state, natural, unaffected, Plut.

                        --- Στις Κυρ., 31/05/09, ο/η James <jamesjay@...> έγραψε:

                        > Από: James <jamesjay@...>
                        > Θέμα: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
                        > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                        > Ημερομηνία: Κυριακή, 31 Μάιος 2009, 4:13
                        > Hello all;
                        >
                        > New to this group
                        >
                        > James Kirby
                        >
                        > Could anyone offer help on a word in Gen 25:27. The word is
                        > "aplastos".
                        > I cannot find any reference to this word in any lexicon
                        > & my copy of the
                        > LXX does not give a Strong's #. The Hebrew word is "tam"
                        > Strong's # 8535
                        > but I cannot find the Greek "aplastos".
                        >
                        > Thank you;
                        > James

                        > mailto:lxx-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;

                        La Base de données des virus a expiré.
                        Analyse effectuée par AVG - http://www.avg.fr
                        Version: 8.0.176 / Base de données virale: 270.12.24/2107 - Date: 10/05/2009 07:02

                      • George Blaisdell
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 2, 2009
                          Thank-you for a singularly helpful post,

                          That a-privative was bothering me...

                          As applied to women, then, what meaning can we ascribe?

                          Arsenios

                          George Blaisdell
                          Roslyn, WA

                          To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                          From: el504@...
                          Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 01:51:39 -0700

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 2, 2009
                            I'm not so sure about that.
                            I think that the spelling "ha-plous" is deceiving.
                            --- Στις Τρίτ., 02/06/09, ο/η Branka ARRIVE <branka@...> έγραψε:

                            > Από: Branka ARRIVE <branka@...>
                            > Θέμα: Re: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
                            > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                            > Ημερομηνία: Τρίτη, 2 Ιούνιος 2009, 18:50
                            > The two words ("haplous" and
                            > "aplastos") are not related at all. The "a" in "haplous" is
                            > from Indoeuropean *sem/sm*- (one, single) like in Latin
                            > "simplex" (those two words ARE related), whereas the "a" in
                            > "aplastos" is alpha privativum.

                            I'm not sure about that.
                            "A" in a-plous is also likely to be a-privative:
                            a-plous=simple/single (not-many)
                            di-plous=double (two-many)
                            tri-plous=triple (three-many)
                            tetra-plous...
                            penta-...
                            etc. etc.

                            "plous" is form "many", "multi", "additional", (in English "plus"). The word is related to "simple" / "simplex" in meaning and suffix, but the prefix....?

                            Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;