Re: Gen 25:27 aplastos

  • patandjimellis
    Message 1 of 18 , May 30, 2009
      --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, jim@... wrote:

      > Attached are 3 jpeg files.
      > The first shows a portion of the Thompson LXX where it says Jacob was "a man of plain manners."
      >
      > The second is from the Apostolic Polyglot where Jacob is called "a simple man."
      >
      > The third is from page 34 of the Lexical Concordance of the Apostolic Bible and gives a definition of "aplastos" which is only used this one place (Genesis 25:27) in the LXX
      >

      > --- On Sat, 5/30/09, James <jamesjay@...> wrote:

      Sorry, I guess we cannot use attachments in this forum.

      In the Lexical Concordance of the Apostolic Bible Polyglot the word "aplastos" is defined as "unfeigned, simple, sincere" and it shows that Genesis 25:27 is the only place it is used in the Greek Bible. It assigns it Strongs number 571.1
    • Sigrid Peterson
      Message 2 of 18 , May 30, 2009
        Note that the Greek APLOJ -- i.e. "aplos" -- means "simple; simply" as does
        the Hebrew TAM, the first according to BAG-D.

        Sigrid Peterson, PhD
        Coordinator
        CCAT/CATSS Variants Project
        Department of Religious Studies
        201 Logan Hall
        University of Pennsylvania
        Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

        petersig {at} ccat.sas.upenn.edu
        001-215-898-7453 (Department)
        001-215-275-2740 (Cell)

        On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM, patandjimellis <jim@...> wrote:

        > --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com <lxx%40yahoogroups.com>, jim@... wrote:
        > >
        > > Attached are 3 jpeg files.
        > > The first shows a portion of the Thompson LXX where it says Jacob was "a
        > man of plain manners."
        > >
        > > The second is from the Apostolic Polyglot where Jacob is called "a simple
        > man."
        > >
        > > The third is from page 34 of the Lexical Concordance of the Apostolic
        > Bible and gives a definition of "aplastos" which is only used this one place
        > (Genesis 25:27) in the LXX
        > >

        > > --- On Sat, 5/30/09, James <jamesjay@...> wrote:
        > >

        > Sorry, I guess we cannot use attachments in this forum.
        >
        > In the Lexical Concordance of the Apostolic Bible Polyglot the word
        > "aplastos" is defined as "unfeigned, simple, sincere" and it shows that
        > Genesis 25:27 is the only place it is used in the Greek Bible. It assigns it
        > Strongs number 571.1

      • James
        Message 3 of 18 , May 30, 2009
          Hello;

          patandjimellis wrote:

          > --- In lxx@yahoogroups. com <mailto:lxx%40yahoogroups.com>, jim@... wrote:
          > >
          > > Attached are 3 jpeg files.
          > > The first shows a portion of the Thompson LXX where it says Jacob
          > was "a man of plain manners."
          > >
          > > The second is from the Apostolic Polyglot where Jacob is called "a
          > simple man."
          > >
          > > The third is from page 34 of the Lexical Concordance of the
          > Apostolic Bible and gives a definition of "aplastos" which is only
          > used this one place (Genesis 25:27) in the LXX
          > >

          > > --- On Sat, 5/30/09, James <jamesjay@.. .> wrote:
          > >

          > Sorry, I guess we cannot use attachments in this forum.

          .
          Guess not as I did not receive any.
          .

          > In the Lexical Concordance of the Apostolic Bible Polyglot the word
          > "aplastos" is defined as "unfeigned, simple, sincere" and it shows
          > that Genesis 25:27 is the only place it is used in the Greek Bible. It
          > assigns it Strongs number 571.1

          .
          Humm. I'm not familiar with a Strong's # containing a decimal and there
          is no 5711 so I looked up 571 and that's "apistos" meaning to
          'disbelieve' or be 'without faith'. I don't think Jacob was a
          disbelieving man without faith though.

          James Kirby

        • James
          Message 4 of 18 , May 30, 2009
            jim@... wrote:

            > Attached are 3 jpeg files.

            .
            Thanks but didn't get them!
            JK

            > The first shows a portion of the Thompson LXX where it says Jacob was
            > "a man of plain manners."
            >
            > The second is from the Apostolic Polyglot where Jacob is called "a
            > simple man."
            >
            > The third is from page 34 of the Lexical Concordance of the Apostolic
            > Bible and gives a definition of "aplastos" which is only used this one
            > place (Genesis 25:27) in the LXX
            >
            > --- On Sat, 5/30/09, James <jamesjay@paonline. com
            > <mailto:jamesjay%40paonline.com>> wrote:
            >
            > Hello all;
            >
            > New to this group
            >
            > James Kirby
            >
            > Could anyone offer help on a word in Gen 25:27. The word is "aplastos".
            >
            > I cannot find any reference to this word in any lexicon & my copy of the
            >
            > LXX does not give a Strong's #. The Hebrew word is "tam" Strong's # 8535
            >
            > but I cannot find the Greek "aplastos".
            >
            > Thank you;
            >
            > James

          • James
            Message 5 of 18 , May 31, 2009
              Hello;

              Sigrid Peterson wrote:

              > Note that the Greek APLOJ -- i.e. "aplos" -- means "simple; simply" as
              > does
              > the Hebrew TAM, the first according to BAG-D.

              .
              What I am curious about is why did the KJV translate the Hebrew "tam"
              as "plain" in this verse.

              James

              > Sigrid Peterson, PhD
              > Coordinator
              > CCAT/CATSS Variants Project
              > Department of Religious Studies
              > 201 Logan Hall
              > University of Pennsylvania
              > Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA
              >
              > petersig {at} ccat.sas.upenn. edu
              > 001-215-898- 7453 (Department)
              > 001-215-275- 2740 (Cell)

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
              >
              > *
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lxx/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMDZlcHVuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTM3MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA4ODYyBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyNDM3NDEyOTI->

              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hqakr7p/M=493064.12016309.12445701.8674578/D=groups/S=1707208862:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1243748492/L=/B=9H7CCEPDhFM-/J=1243741292895776/K=h_aCsYDml_C_H5cqGd_NZQ/A=3848614/R=0/SIG=12t4qk00m/*http://news.yahoo.com/i/757;_ylt=A9FJqYzfwK5EFCQAswis0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc->
              >
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hn9ii3a/M=493064.12016257.12445664.8674578/D=groups/S=1707208862:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1243748492/L=/B=9X7CCEPDhFM-/J=1243741292895776/K=h_aCsYDml_C_H5cqGd_NZQ/A=4507179/R=0/SIG=12de4rskk/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=50284/*http://finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance>
              >
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hkk8uo8/M=493064.12662708.12980600.8674578/D=groups/S=1707208862:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1243748492/L=/B=9n7CCEPDhFM-/J=1243741292895776/K=h_aCsYDml_C_H5cqGd_NZQ/A=5349276/R=0/SIG=11nhsqmjq/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/EverydayWellness/>

            • James
              Message 6 of 18 , May 31, 2009
                Sigrid Peterson wrote:

                > Note that the Greek APLOJ -- i.e. "aplos" -- means "simple; simply" as
                > does
                > the Hebrew TAM, the first according to BAG-D.

                .
                Is that word in the new testament?

                Thank you;
                James Kirby
              • Louis Sorenson
                Message 7 of 18 , May 31, 2009
                  ἁπλοῦς, -ῆ, -οῦν simple, open, sincere (LXX 1; NT 2x > ἁπλότης (8x))
                  ἄπλαστος (LXX 1; NT 0)
                  TLG Word search:
                  ἀδιάπλαστος (4) ἄπλαστος (72) κατάπλαστος (18)
                  ἀνάπλαστος (1) εὐδιάπλαστος (3) παράπλαστος (1)

                  To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                  From: jamesjay@...
                  Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 13:08:05 -0400
                  Subject: Re: [lxx] Re: Gen 25:27 aplastos

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 31, 2009
                    James,
                    Is this for homework? Then please note the reference materials quoted in
                    response to your question, and use them. We aren't usually users of Strong
                    numbers. LATER: Thanks for answering your own question by using TLG to check
                    frequency and location of the word uses.

                    The NETS translation of the LXX uses "a simple man" for what you
                    questioned as APLASTOJ/aplastos, which probably is a superlative of
                    APLOUJ/aplous. So it might have been interpreted as "the simplest of men."
                    The syntax is odd, but then LXX syntax often is. In this case it follows
                    Hebrew syntax with the modifier after the noun, in the phrase ISH TAM. BAGD
                    lists the superlative APLOUSTATOJ, s.v. APLOUJ, with a meaning "quite
                    simple, guileless," as of doves -- found in Philo, among others. Think of
                    the phrase Professor Higgins sings in My Fair Lady "I'm a most forgiving man
                    . . ." Jacob is a "most simple" man, a "most guileless" man, compared to
                    Esau!

                    The NJPS translation of the Torah uses "mild" for TAM, as a comparison
                    with Esau. Still, TAM can also mean "simple, plain, naive" in Hebrew. As to
                    KJV translating TAM as "plain," that's ok; think of the phrase "plain and
                    simple." It's okay, but it doesn't grab the contrast in the verse and the
                    story as the dual implications of "simple" might, the contrast between Jacob
                    and Esau, think of the oral signal to the listeners of this oral history,
                    that there is conflict to come. Think of the LXX translator as listening to
                    an oral reader of the Hebrew who puts a special emphasis on TAM, to foretell
                    the guileful -- should I say "sneaky"? -- actions of Jacob.

                    Here, I think the LXX has nailed it, in translating ISH TAM as ANTHRWPOJ
                    APLASTOJ.

                    On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 1:08 PM, James <jamesjay@...> wrote:

                    > Sigrid Peterson wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Note that the Greek APLOJ -- i.e. "aplos" -- means "simple; simply" as
                    > > does
                    > > the Hebrew TAM, the first according to BAG-D.
                    > >

                    > .
                    > Is that word in the new testament?
                    >
                    > Thank you;
                    > James Kirby

                  • James
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 31, 2009
                      Gooday!

                      Sigrid Peterson wrote:

                      > James,
                      > Is this for homework?

                      .
                      More for my own personal studies. Thank you for a very helpful
                      answer/explanation. Allow me to explain my quest. In cultivating an
                      interest in the Hebrew language for the purpose of reading the OT I came
                      across this site on Ancient Hebrew;

                      http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/index.html

                      The site makes the following claim;

                      "This Greek influence can be clearly seen in names such as Moses which
                      comes to us from the Greek Septuagint whereas in the Hebrew it is
                      Mosheh. Another example is the name Eve, again from the Greek, where the
                      Hebrew has Hhawa. The list is about as long as the number of names in
                      the Bible. A little more serious is how the translations have actually
                      used the Greek Septuagint for its translation rather than from the
                      Hebrew text. An example is Genesis 25:27 where all the translations use
                      the words "plain", "quiet" or "simple" to describe the character of
                      Jacob. However, the Hebrew word is "tam" and it is properly translated
                      in Job 1:1 as "perfect" to describe the character of Job. Why is this
                      one Hebrew word translated as "plain" in one place but "perfect" in
                      another? The answer is that the translators are using the Greek
                      Septuagint rather than the Hebrew for the translation of the Hebrew Bible."

                      I am attempting to ascertain just how accurate the claim "the
                      translations have actually used the Greek Septuagint for its translation
                      rather than from the Hebrew text / that the translators are using the
                      Greek Septuagint rather than the Hebrew for the translation of the
                      Hebrew Bible" is. Since I only see this in the KJV I would assume that
                      this is who he is referring to by "the translators" but I have not
                      heard that the men who translated the KJV did so using the LXX.
                      Perhaps you or someone else can comment on that.

                      Thank you again;
                      James Kirby
                      .
                    • Kostas Papadopoulos
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 2 1:51 AM
                        Hi,
                        The word itself means not-formed (a=<negative prefix> + plastos=formated [from the v. plasso = to form]). Since it is possible for "plastos" to have the meaning of "fabricated" according to Hesychius lexicon (5th c. AD)ie. not the truth (Aesch.) - "a-plastos" could have the - metaphorical - meanning of "truthful" and could me a possible rendering of "thm".
                        "Simple" in Greek is "aplous" (not-complicated, from nevative "a" + plous=multi (like in "multi-plication"). The two words aplous/aplastos seem related but not directly).

                        See also:
                        Hesychious lexicon
                        5123 απλαστος (aplastos)
                        ἄ-πλαστος, ον, not moulded, i. e. in its natural state, natural, unaffected, Plut.

                        --- Στις Κυρ., 31/05/09, ο/η James <jamesjay@...> έγραψε:

                        > Από: James <jamesjay@...>
                        > Θέμα: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
                        > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                        > Ημερομηνία: Κυριακή, 31 Μάιος 2009, 4:13
                        > Hello all;
                        >
                        > New to this group
                        >
                        > James Kirby
                        >
                        > Could anyone offer help on a word in Gen 25:27. The word is
                        > "aplastos".
                        > I cannot find any reference to this word in any lexicon
                        > & my copy of the
                        > LXX does not give a Strong's #. The Hebrew word is "tam"
                        > Strong's # 8535
                        > but I cannot find the  Greek "aplastos".
                        >
                        > Thank you;
                        > James

                        >     mailto:lxx-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                      • James
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 2 6:12 AM
                          Thank you very much. Most helpful!

                          James Kirby

                          Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > The word itself means not-formed (a=<negative prefix> +
                          > plastos=formated [from the v. plasso = to form]). Since it is possible
                          > for "plastos" to have the meaning of "fabricated" according to
                          > Hesychius lexicon (5th c. AD)ie. not the truth (Aesch.) - "a-plastos"
                          > could have the - metaphorical - meanning of "truthful" and could me a
                          > possible rendering of "thm".
                          > "Simple" in Greek is "aplous" (not-complicated, from nevative "a" +
                          > plous=multi (like in "multi-plication" ). The two words
                          > aplous/aplastos seem related but not directly).
                          >
                          > See also:
                          > Hesychious lexicon
                          > 5123 απλαστος (aplastos)
                          > ἄ-πλαστος, ον, not moulded, i. e. in its natural state, natural,
                          > unaffected, Plut.
                          >
                          > --- Στις Κυρ., 31/05/09, ο/η James <jamesjay@paonline. com
                          > <mailto:jamesjay%40paonline.com>> έγραψε:
                          >
                          > > Από: James <jamesjay@paonline. com <mailto:jamesjay%40paonline.com>>
                          > > Θέμα: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
                          > > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups. com <mailto:lxx%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > Ημερομηνία: Κυριακή, 31 Μάιος 2009, 4:13
                          > > Hello all;
                          > >
                          > > New to this group
                          > >
                          > > James Kirby
                          > >
                          > > Could anyone offer help on a word in Gen 25:27. The word is
                          > > "aplastos".
                          > > I cannot find any reference to this word in any lexicon
                          > > & my copy of the
                          > > LXX does not give a Strong's #. The Hebrew word is "tam"
                          > > Strong's # 8535
                          > > but I cannot find the Greek "aplastos".
                          > >
                          > > Thank you;
                          > > James

                          > > mailto:lxx-fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com
                          > <mailto:lxx-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

                          > Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                          > Βαρεθήκατε τα ενοχλητικά μηνύματα (spam); Το Yahoo! Mail
                          > διαθέτει την καλύτερη δυνατή προστασία κατά των ενοχλητικών
                          > μηνυμάτων http://login. yahoo.com/ config/mail? .intl=gr
                          > <http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=gr>

                        • Branka ARRIVE
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 2 8:50 AM
                            The two words ("haplous" and "aplastos") are not related at all. The "a" in "haplous" is from Indoeuropean *sem/sm*- (one, single) like in Latin "simplex" (those two words ARE related), whereas the "a" in "aplastos" is alpha privativum.

                            The word itself means not-formed (a=<negative prefix> + plastos=formated [from the v. plasso = to form]). Since it is possible for "plastos" to have the meaning of "fabricated" according to Hesychius lexicon (5th c. AD)ie. not the truth (Aesch.) - "a-plastos" could have the - metaphorical - meanning of "truthful" and could me a possible rendering of "thm".
                            "Simple" in Greek is "aplous" (not-complicated, from nevative "a" + plous=multi (like in "multi-plication"). The two words aplous/aplastos seem related but not directly).

                            See also:
                            Hesychious lexicon
                            5123 απλαστος (aplastos)
                            ἄ-πλαστος, ον, not moulded, i. e. in its natural state, natural, unaffected, Plut.

                            --- Στις Κυρ., 31/05/09, ο/η James <jamesjay@...> έγραψε:

                            > Από: James <jamesjay@...>
                            > Θέμα: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
                            > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                            > Ημερομηνία: Κυριακή, 31 Μάιος 2009, 4:13
                            > Hello all;
                            >
                            > New to this group
                            >
                            > James Kirby
                            >
                            > Could anyone offer help on a word in Gen 25:27. The word is
                            > "aplastos".
                            > I cannot find any reference to this word in any lexicon
                            > & my copy of the
                            > LXX does not give a Strong's #. The Hebrew word is "tam"
                            > Strong's # 8535
                            > but I cannot find the Greek "aplastos".
                            >
                            > Thank you;
                            > James

                            > mailto:lxx-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;

                            La Base de données des virus a expiré.
                            Analyse effectuée par AVG - http://www.avg.fr
                            Version: 8.0.176 / Base de données virale: 270.12.24/2107 - Date: 10/05/2009 07:02

                          • George Blaisdell
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 2 2:43 PM
                              Thank-you for a singularly helpful post,

                              That a-privative was bothering me...

                              As applied to women, then, what meaning can we ascribe?

                              Arsenios

                              George Blaisdell
                              Roslyn, WA

                              To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                              From: el504@...
                              Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 01:51:39 -0700

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 2 11:59 PM
                                I'm not so sure about that.
                                I think that the spelling "ha-plous" is deceiving.
                                --- Στις Τρίτ., 02/06/09, ο/η Branka ARRIVE <branka@...> έγραψε:

                                > Από: Branka ARRIVE <branka@...>
                                > Θέμα: Re: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
                                > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                                > Ημερομηνία: Τρίτη, 2 Ιούνιος 2009, 18:50
                                > The two words ("haplous" and
                                > "aplastos") are not related at all. The "a" in "haplous" is
                                > from Indoeuropean *sem/sm*- (one, single) like in Latin
                                > "simplex" (those two words ARE related), whereas the "a" in
                                > "aplastos" is alpha privativum.

                                I'm not sure about that.
                                "A" in a-plous is also likely to be a-privative:
                                a-plous=simple/single (not-many)
                                di-plous=double (two-many)
                                tri-plous=triple (three-many)
                                tetra-plous...
                                penta-...
                                etc. etc.

                                "plous" is form "many", "multi", "additional", (in English "plus"). The word is related to "simple" / "simplex" in meaning and suffix, but the prefix....?

                                Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;