RE: [lxx] Electronic Goettingen Septuaginta

  • James Spinti
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
      Sigrid,

      I just talked (via e-mail) to Accordance. They are planning on including
      the English version of Wevers' introductions. Additionally, their text
      will be morphologically tagged; from the promo announcement, it appears
      Logos' will not.

      I am hopeful that Accordance will announce something soon, but they tend
      to be cautious about things and avoid vaporware announcements,
      preferring to let the product sell itself once they have something to
      show.

      HTH,
      James

      ________________________________
      James Spinti
      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
      Fax: 574-269-6788

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
        Sigrid Peterson wrote:
        In answer to the question about the English language Introductions to the
        Pentateuch by John Wevers:

        John Wevers translated his Goettingen (German) Introductions to the books of
        the Pentateuch into English, and donated the several copyrights to CCAT.
        [snip]

        I write:

        As they say: Ausgezeichnet! Viel Dank!

        Regards,
        Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Berkeley, California
      • Michael Aubrey
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
          James, Logos' prepub page says that it will be morphologically tagged.
        • Michael Aubrey
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
            >What you _cannot_ do is buy the the download or CD Logos
            >offers for $300.00 and expect to be able to use it on your computer
            >without having one of the Logos software packages installed. The CD or
            >download is useless unless you have already bought and installed one of
            >the Logos software packages: the Logos software package is needed to
            >essentially "unlock" and make usable on your computer the electronic >books you are buying from Logos.

            Where did you get this information?

            This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The the Logos software engine is available as a free download and it, as far as I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason why someone wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.
          • James Spinti
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
              Thanks. I must have missed that.

              James

              ________________________________
              James Spinti
              Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
              Eisenbrauns, Good books for over 30 years
              jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
              Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com <https://hplh301/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.eisenbrauns.com>
              Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
              James, Logos' prepub page says that it will be morphologically tagged.

            • James Miller
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Michael Aubrey wrote:

                > Where did you get this information?
                >
                > This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The the Logos software engine is available as a
                > free download and it, as far as I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason why someone
                > wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.

                It's been about 10 years since I used Logos products, so perhaps some
                things have changed and I'll need to correct what I said in that post. I
                perused the Logos site a bit and did not find the free download of the
                Logos software engine you speak of. Can you provide a link? I did find
                this assertion though, which would require me to correct at least part of
                what I said in my previous post: "All of our products can be used by
                themselves, but are greatly enhanced when added to one of our base
                packages." So maybe the Goettingen CD/download can be used without buying
                from Logos what I called one of their "software packages" (what they seem
                to call here "base packages")? Even if that is the case, what I said about
                non-Windows users such as myself (I use Linux) remains true: unless this
                is something I can install and run using WINE, it won't do me/us much
                good.

                Thanks,
                James
              • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                  James and all,

                  Yes, there is a free download for the basic Logos library reader,
                  called Libronix:
                  http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls
                  (It is oddly placed under Support, rather than Downloads, and has
                  always been.)

                  I've used it for years with various individually purchased "library"
                  files (the Biblical Archaeologist back issues, Anchor Bible
                  Dictionary, etc). There are a number of Bible and other texts that
                  are freely downloadable with the reader as well.

                  It is not necessary to buy one of the more expensive packages in order
                  to use the software. The reader and some basic items are available
                  gratis.

                  Regards,
                  Kevin P. Edgecomb
                  Berkeley, California
                • James Miller
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Kevin P. Edgecomb wrote:

                    > James and all,
                    >
                    > Yes, there is a free download for the basic Logos library reader,
                    > called Libronix:
                    > http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls
                    > (It is oddly placed under Support, rather than Downloads, and has
                    > always been.)
                    >
                    > I've used it for years with various individually purchased "library"
                    > files (the Biblical Archaeologist back issues, Anchor Bible
                    > Dictionary, etc). There are a number of Bible and other texts that
                    > are freely downloadable with the reader as well.
                    >
                    > It is not necessary to buy one of the more expensive packages in order
                    > to use the software. The reader and some basic items are available
                    > gratis.

                    Ok. Thanks for that information. I stand corrected: one _can_ buy just the
                    CD or download of the Goettingen edition they're coming out with and
                    expect to be able to use it. Incidentally, I've just tried installing the
                    library reader under wine on Linux but was unsuccessful. So the reader and
                    Goettingen edition is something for Windows and maybe Mac users.

                    James
                  • Cindy Smith
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                      Quoting "Kevin P. Edgecomb" <kevin@...>:

                      > You're welcome, Peter! It's a real bargain. Even if they are to be only
                      > page images, as Sigrid Peterson just mentioned, they will be more useful
                      > than not having them at all. Even here at UC Berkeley, they dropped the
                      > subscription for Septuaginta several years ago, so we don't have all the
                      > volumes. They're simply too expensive, even for a library, at this point.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Kevin P. Edgecomb
                      > Berkeley, California

                      Kevin,

                      Actually, I use BibleWorks 8, and it contains the complete
                      Septuaginta. Here are all the Greek texts found in BibleWorks 8: BGT
                      BibleWorks LXX/BNT, BBNT BibleWorks NT (NA27), BUZ Robinson-Pierpont
                      Majority Text (1995), LXT LXX Septuaginta Rahlfs'. Also, GNT Friberg
                      NT (UBS 3/4), MET Metaglottisis Greek NT (2004), MGK Modern Greek
                      Bible. Also, OPG OT Greek Pseudepigrapha. Also, APF Apostolic
                      Fathers Greek, GOC Greek Orthodox Church NT, JOM Josephus, MOS
                      Josephus, PHI Works of Philo, SCR Scrivener 1894 NT, STE Stephanus
                      (Robert Etienne's) (1550) NT, TIS Tischendorf NT (8th edition), VST
                      vonSoden, and WHO Westcott and Hort NT. There are also accompanying
                      morphologies.

                      This is all in addition to various texts of the Hebrew Bible, the
                      Vulgate, the New Vulgate, the Jerome Vulgate, and translations of the
                      Bible into most of the world's modern languages.

                      I have found it to be a very worthwhile and usable tool.

                      Yours,

                      --
                      Cindy Smith
                      cms@...

                      A Real Live Catholic in Georgia!
                    • fivefree@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                        I bought the Liddell & Scott lexicon from them and the Logos software
                        engine was included with the purchase.

                        Jack Jackson

                        In a message dated 3/10/2009 1:55:57 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                        mga318@... writes:

                        >What you _cannot_ do is buy the the download or CD Logos
                        >offers for $300.00 and expect to be able to use it on your computer
                        >without having one of the Logos software packages installed. The CD or
                        >download is useless unless you have already bought and installed one of
                        >the Logos software packages: the Logos software package is needed to
                        >essentially "unlock" and make usable on your computer the electronic >books
                        you are buying from Logos.

                        Where did you get this information?

                        This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The
                        the Logos software engine is available as a free download and it, as far as
                        I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason
                        why someone wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.

                        steps!
                        (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
                        %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

                      • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                          Cindy,
                          Thank you for your list. Yes, I have BibleWorks as well, and there are many
                          Greek texts available in it. But the Goettingen Septuaginta is different
                          from the Septuagint text included in BibleWorks. The BibleWorks LXX is the
                          Rahlfs LXX text. The Goettingen Septuaginta is a different text, based on
                          more manuscripts and with an extensive and very valuable apparatus. The
                          Goettingen LXX text is superior to the Rahlfs, but the printed volumes are
                          prohibitively expensive. This is why people are excited about having a
                          relatively affordable electronic text of the volumes announced, that costs
                          less that the price of two of the printed volumes. Even though the
                          Goettingen Septuaginta is not complete, it is still the best critical text
                          around, and is regularly used by those doing translations and critical work
                          on the LXX. It will be nice to have it all at hand. Perhaps someone will
                          also do a BibleWorks version. That would be nice.

                          Regards,
                          Kevin P. Edgecomb
                          Berkeley, California
                        • Michael Aubrey
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 11, 2009
                            There are rumors that CodeWeavers works:

                            http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=321%3Btips=1

                            But I have never tried, myself. It looks like there are a good number of people discussing it actively on the forum.

                            Mike