Re: [lxx] Electronic Goettingen Septuaginta

  • Sigrid Peterson
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
      In answer to the question about the English language Introductions to the
      Pentateuch by John Wevers:

      John Wevers translated his Goettingen (German) Introductions to the books of
      the Pentateuch into English, and donated the several copyrights to CCAT.
      They are available online, with appropriate cautions about the use of
      copyrighted material, at
      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/01Gen-Wevers-Intro.html

      Goettingen - Genesis Wevers English Introduction
      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/01Gen-Wevers-Intro.html

      Goettingen - Exodus Wevers English Introduction
      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/02Exod-Wevers-Intro.html

      Goettingen - Leviticus Wevers English Introduction
      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/03Lev-Wevers-Intro.html

      Goettingen - Numbers Wevers English Introduction
      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/04Num-Wevers-Intro.htm

      Goettingen - Deuteronomy Wevers English Introduction
      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/active/DT%20Intro,%20ed.%20Sigrid%20%20Peterson%20Wevers%20Introduction.html

      Some history, if interested. John Wevers translated his Penteteuch
      Introductions into English using an old version of Nota Bene software. It
      could not be converted by conventional publishers he talked to, and
      CCAT/CATSS (mostly Bob Kraft) undertook to make the conversion and provide
      editing to produce a finished version that would be marketable. Hence the
      files above.

      On Logos
      (1)
      Sure, you can forward any concerns I've raised to Logos. They have our
      number, and have not followed up on interest in the Wevers English
      Introductions.

      (2)
      Thanks for mentioning that Accordance also has rights to the V&R edition of
      the Goettingen. They are planning a fully programmable text, meaning great
      flexibility in dealing with the information in the V&R Goettingen, while
      reproducing the apparatus exactly.

      I don't want to anticipate too much, but I believe they *will* have the
      English-language Wevers Introductions as part of what they are doing. At
      least they've called us!

      All the best,
      Sigrid Peterson
      Coordinator, Variants Project
      petersig@...

      --
      Sigrid Peterson, PhD
      Coordinator

      petersig {at} ccat.sas.upenn.edu
      001-215-275-2740 (Cell)

    • James Spinti
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
        Sigrid,

        I just talked (via e-mail) to Accordance. They are planning on including
        the English version of Wevers' introductions. Additionally, their text
        will be morphologically tagged; from the promo announcement, it appears
        Logos' will not.

        I am hopeful that Accordance will announce something soon, but they tend
        to be cautious about things and avoid vaporware announcements,
        preferring to let the product sell itself once they have something to
        show.

        HTH,
        James

        ________________________________
        James Spinti
        Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
        jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
        Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
        Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
        Fax: 574-269-6788

          In answer to the question about the English language Introductions to the
          Pentateuch by John Wevers:

          John Wevers translated his Goettingen (German) Introductions to the books of
          the Pentateuch into English, and donated the several copyrights to CCAT.
          [snip]

          I write:

          As they say: Ausgezeichnet! Viel Dank!

          Regards,
          Kevin P. Edgecomb
          Berkeley, California
        • Michael Aubrey
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
            James, Logos' prepub page says that it will be morphologically tagged.
          • Michael Aubrey
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
              >What you _cannot_ do is buy the the download or CD Logos
              >offers for $300.00 and expect to be able to use it on your computer
              >without having one of the Logos software packages installed. The CD or
              >download is useless unless you have already bought and installed one of
              >the Logos software packages: the Logos software package is needed to
              >essentially "unlock" and make usable on your computer the electronic >books you are buying from Logos.

              Where did you get this information?

              This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The the Logos software engine is available as a free download and it, as far as I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason why someone wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.
            • James Spinti
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                Thanks. I must have missed that.

                James

                ________________________________
                James Spinti
                Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                Eisenbrauns, Good books for over 30 years
                jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com <https://hplh301/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.eisenbrauns.com>
                Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
                James, Logos' prepub page says that it will be morphologically tagged.

              • James Miller
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                  On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Michael Aubrey wrote:

                  > Where did you get this information?
                  >
                  > This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The the Logos software engine is available as a
                  > free download and it, as far as I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason why someone
                  > wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.

                  It's been about 10 years since I used Logos products, so perhaps some
                  things have changed and I'll need to correct what I said in that post. I
                  perused the Logos site a bit and did not find the free download of the
                  Logos software engine you speak of. Can you provide a link? I did find
                  this assertion though, which would require me to correct at least part of
                  what I said in my previous post: "All of our products can be used by
                  themselves, but are greatly enhanced when added to one of our base
                  packages." So maybe the Goettingen CD/download can be used without buying
                  from Logos what I called one of their "software packages" (what they seem
                  to call here "base packages")? Even if that is the case, what I said about
                  non-Windows users such as myself (I use Linux) remains true: unless this
                  is something I can install and run using WINE, it won't do me/us much
                  good.

                  Thanks,
                  James
                • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                    James and all,

                    Yes, there is a free download for the basic Logos library reader,
                    called Libronix:
                    http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls
                    (It is oddly placed under Support, rather than Downloads, and has
                    always been.)

                    I've used it for years with various individually purchased "library"
                    files (the Biblical Archaeologist back issues, Anchor Bible
                    Dictionary, etc). There are a number of Bible and other texts that
                    are freely downloadable with the reader as well.

                    It is not necessary to buy one of the more expensive packages in order
                    to use the software. The reader and some basic items are available
                    gratis.

                    Regards,
                    Kevin P. Edgecomb
                    Berkeley, California
                  • James Miller
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                      On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Kevin P. Edgecomb wrote:

                      > James and all,
                      >
                      > Yes, there is a free download for the basic Logos library reader,
                      > called Libronix:
                      > http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls
                      > (It is oddly placed under Support, rather than Downloads, and has
                      > always been.)
                      >
                      > I've used it for years with various individually purchased "library"
                      > files (the Biblical Archaeologist back issues, Anchor Bible
                      > Dictionary, etc). There are a number of Bible and other texts that
                      > are freely downloadable with the reader as well.
                      >
                      > It is not necessary to buy one of the more expensive packages in order
                      > to use the software. The reader and some basic items are available
                      > gratis.

                      Ok. Thanks for that information. I stand corrected: one _can_ buy just the
                      CD or download of the Goettingen edition they're coming out with and
                      expect to be able to use it. Incidentally, I've just tried installing the
                      library reader under wine on Linux but was unsuccessful. So the reader and
                      Goettingen edition is something for Windows and maybe Mac users.

                      James
                    • Cindy Smith
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                        Quoting "Kevin P. Edgecomb" <kevin@...>:

                        > You're welcome, Peter! It's a real bargain. Even if they are to be only
                        > page images, as Sigrid Peterson just mentioned, they will be more useful
                        > than not having them at all. Even here at UC Berkeley, they dropped the
                        > subscription for Septuaginta several years ago, so we don't have all the
                        > volumes. They're simply too expensive, even for a library, at this point.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Kevin P. Edgecomb
                        > Berkeley, California

                        Kevin,

                        Actually, I use BibleWorks 8, and it contains the complete
                        Septuaginta. Here are all the Greek texts found in BibleWorks 8: BGT
                        BibleWorks LXX/BNT, BBNT BibleWorks NT (NA27), BUZ Robinson-Pierpont
                        Majority Text (1995), LXT LXX Septuaginta Rahlfs'. Also, GNT Friberg
                        NT (UBS 3/4), MET Metaglottisis Greek NT (2004), MGK Modern Greek
                        Bible. Also, OPG OT Greek Pseudepigrapha. Also, APF Apostolic
                        Fathers Greek, GOC Greek Orthodox Church NT, JOM Josephus, MOS
                        Josephus, PHI Works of Philo, SCR Scrivener 1894 NT, STE Stephanus
                        (Robert Etienne's) (1550) NT, TIS Tischendorf NT (8th edition), VST
                        vonSoden, and WHO Westcott and Hort NT. There are also accompanying
                        morphologies.

                        This is all in addition to various texts of the Hebrew Bible, the
                        Vulgate, the New Vulgate, the Jerome Vulgate, and translations of the
                        Bible into most of the world's modern languages.

                        I have found it to be a very worthwhile and usable tool.

                        Yours,

                        --
                        Cindy Smith
                        cms@...

                        A Real Live Catholic in Georgia!
                      • fivefree@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                          I bought the Liddell & Scott lexicon from them and the Logos software
                          engine was included with the purchase.

                          Jack Jackson

                          In a message dated 3/10/2009 1:55:57 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                          mga318@... writes:

                          >What you _cannot_ do is buy the the download or CD Logos
                          >offers for $300.00 and expect to be able to use it on your computer
                          >without having one of the Logos software packages installed. The CD or
                          >download is useless unless you have already bought and installed one of
                          >the Logos software packages: the Logos software package is needed to
                          >essentially "unlock" and make usable on your computer the electronic >books
                          you are buying from Logos.

                          Where did you get this information?

                          This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The
                          the Logos software engine is available as a free download and it, as far as
                          I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason
                          why someone wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.

                          steps!
                          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
                          %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

                        • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                            Cindy,
                            Thank you for your list. Yes, I have BibleWorks as well, and there are many
                            Greek texts available in it. But the Goettingen Septuaginta is different
                            from the Septuagint text included in BibleWorks. The BibleWorks LXX is the
                            Rahlfs LXX text. The Goettingen Septuaginta is a different text, based on
                            more manuscripts and with an extensive and very valuable apparatus. The
                            Goettingen LXX text is superior to the Rahlfs, but the printed volumes are
                            prohibitively expensive. This is why people are excited about having a
                            relatively affordable electronic text of the volumes announced, that costs
                            less that the price of two of the printed volumes. Even though the
                            Goettingen Septuaginta is not complete, it is still the best critical text
                            around, and is regularly used by those doing translations and critical work
                            on the LXX. It will be nice to have it all at hand. Perhaps someone will
                            also do a BibleWorks version. That would be nice.

                            Regards,
                            Kevin P. Edgecomb
                            Berkeley, California
                          • Michael Aubrey
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 11, 2009
                              There are rumors that CodeWeavers works:

                              http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=321%3Btips=1

                              But I have never tried, myself. It looks like there are a good number of people discussing it actively on the forum.

                              Mike