RE: [lxx] Electronic Goettingen Septuaginta

  • James Spinti
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
      Just so you know, Accordance is also working on this. If I remember
      correctly, both intend to have the apparatus available.

      I don't know if either of them plan to include Wever's English
      translation, but I doubt it. They are working directly with Vandenhoeck
      & Ruprecht on this, and V&R doesn't have the English version.

      HTH,
      James
      ________________________________
      James Spinti
      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
      Fax: 574-269-6788

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
        Thanks everybody. The electronic version is a must have because although it is still expensive, it is not as expensive as the book set. One can by looking at the  NETS translation and clearly figure out what the underlying Greek is as the translators did a superb job on NETS, but in translating the Septuagint I cannot leave things to a guess. I will have to get the download if I want to have all available and the best LXX text at my disposal for translating the LXX.

        Peter A. Papoutsis
        The Law Offices of Nicholas C. Syregelas
        19 North Green Street
        Chicago, IL  60607
        1(312) 243-0900
        1(312) 243-0901 - fax

        This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and delete the original message from your system.

        ________________________________

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        --
        Sigrid Peterson, PhD
        Coordinator
        CCAT/CATSS Variants Project
        Department of Religious Studies
        201 Logan Hall
        University of Pennsylvania
        Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

        petersig {at} ccat.sas.upenn. edu
        001-215-898- 7453 (Department)
        001-215-275- 2740 (Cell)

      • James Miller
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
          On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Peter Papoutsis wrote:

          > Thanks everybody. The electronic version is a must have because although it is still expensive, it is not as expensive as
          > the book set. One can by looking at the� NETS translation and clearly figure out what the underlying Greek is as the
          > translators did a superb job on NETS, but in translating the Septuagint I cannot leave things to a guess. I�will have to
          > get the download if I want to have all available and the best LXX text at my disposal for translating the LXX.

          I just want to offer a clarification on what this electronic version is
          and what is involved in getting it. This is not simply a download of files
          containing the text of the Goettingen edition--say, like the provisional
          NETS translation that could be downloaded freely as pdf files. No, this is
          electronic version is part and parcel of the Logos software system. Logos
          is a piece of Windows software whose essential function is to allow the
          purchaser of the software to keep an electronic theological library on
          their computer. The software comes in various packages ranging in price
          all the way up to well over a thousand dollars: the cost is contingent on
          what texts one buys as part of the package one has purchased (generally,
          the more texts the package contains, the more expensive it is).

          Now, in the case of the electronic version of the Goettingen edition Logos
          will be selling, what is being offered is what I believe is called in
          Logos parlance a "library module." What this means is that if you already
          have one of the Logos software packages installed (and thus the basic
          library functionality Logos software is meant to provide), you can, for an
          additional $300.00 (pre-publication price), buy this Goettingen module and
          enhance your current Logos book collection by adding the Goettingen
          volumes to it. What you _cannot_ do is buy the the download or CD Logos
          offers for $300.00 and expect to be able to use it on your computer
          without having one of the Logos software packages installed. The CD or
          download is useless unless you have already bought and installed one of
          the Logos software packages: the Logos software package is needed to
          essentially "unlock" and make usable on your computer the electronic books
          you are buying from Logos. So, with a Windows computer, one of the Logos
          software packages, and the Goettingen library module enhancement, the
          user will be able to search, read, and print, from any of the Goettingen
          volumes using their computer.

          Those who cannot expect to get much benefit from the electronic Goettingen
          version Logos is offering are those who: are not owners and users of the
          Windows (and maybe Mac) operating systems; are not, or are unwilling to
          become, owners of one of the Logos software packages.

          James

          PS to Peter: by posting to this list you're publishing your e-mails to a
          forum that is accessible to almost anyone who owns a computer and/or has
          internet access. Given that fact, can you see how inappropriate the text
          following your signature (see below) appears? Can you please remove this
          extraneous text when you post to this list? Thanks.

        • Peter Papoutsis
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
            Sorry. Just habit. I'll fix it.

            Peter A. Papoutsis

            ________________________________
> [...]

            PS to Peter: by posting to this list you're publishing your e-mails to a
            forum that is accessible to almost anyone who owns a computer and/or has
            internet access. Given that fact, can you see how inappropriate the text
            following your signature (see below) appears? Can you please remove this
            extraneous text when you post to this list? Thanks.

            > This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are
            > not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the
            > message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly
            > prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and
            > delete the original message from your system.

          • Sigrid Peterson
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
              In answer to the question about the English language Introductions to the
              Pentateuch by John Wevers:

              John Wevers translated his Goettingen (German) Introductions to the books of
              the Pentateuch into English, and donated the several copyrights to CCAT.
              They are available online, with appropriate cautions about the use of
              copyrighted material, at
              http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/01Gen-Wevers-Intro.html

              Goettingen - Genesis Wevers English Introduction
              http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/01Gen-Wevers-Intro.html

              Goettingen - Exodus Wevers English Introduction
              http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/02Exod-Wevers-Intro.html

              Goettingen - Leviticus Wevers English Introduction
              http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/03Lev-Wevers-Intro.html

              Goettingen - Numbers Wevers English Introduction
              http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/04Num-Wevers-Intro.htm

              Goettingen - Deuteronomy Wevers English Introduction
              http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/active/DT%20Intro,%20ed.%20Sigrid%20%20Peterson%20Wevers%20Introduction.html

              Some history, if interested. John Wevers translated his Penteteuch
              Introductions into English using an old version of Nota Bene software. It
              could not be converted by conventional publishers he talked to, and
              CCAT/CATSS (mostly Bob Kraft) undertook to make the conversion and provide
              editing to produce a finished version that would be marketable. Hence the
              files above.

              On Logos
              (1)
              Sure, you can forward any concerns I've raised to Logos. They have our
              number, and have not followed up on interest in the Wevers English
              Introductions.

              (2)
              Thanks for mentioning that Accordance also has rights to the V&R edition of
              the Goettingen. They are planning a fully programmable text, meaning great
              flexibility in dealing with the information in the V&R Goettingen, while
              reproducing the apparatus exactly.

              I don't want to anticipate too much, but I believe they *will* have the
              English-language Wevers Introductions as part of what they are doing. At
              least they've called us!

              All the best,
              Sigrid Peterson
              Coordinator, Variants Project
              petersig@...

              --
              Sigrid Peterson, PhD
              Coordinator
              CCAT/CATSS Variants Project
              Department of Religious Studies
              201 Logan Hall
              University of Pennsylvania
              Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

              petersig {at} ccat.sas.upenn.edu
              001-215-275-2740 (Cell)

            • James Spinti
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
                Sigrid,

                I just talked (via e-mail) to Accordance. They are planning on including
                the English version of Wevers' introductions. Additionally, their text
                will be morphologically tagged; from the promo announcement, it appears
                Logos' will not.

                I am hopeful that Accordance will announce something soon, but they tend
                to be cautious about things and avoid vaporware announcements,
                preferring to let the product sell itself once they have something to
                show.

                HTH,
                James

                ________________________________
                James Spinti
                Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
                Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
                Fax: 574-269-6788

                  In answer to the question about the English language Introductions to the
                  Pentateuch by John Wevers:

                  John Wevers translated his Goettingen (German) Introductions to the books of
                  the Pentateuch into English, and donated the several copyrights to CCAT.
                  [snip]

                  I write:

                  As they say: Ausgezeichnet! Viel Dank!

                  Regards,
                  Kevin P. Edgecomb
                  Berkeley, California
                • Michael Aubrey
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                    James, Logos' prepub page says that it will be morphologically tagged.
                  • Michael Aubrey
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                      >What you _cannot_ do is buy the the download or CD Logos
                      >offers for $300.00 and expect to be able to use it on your computer
                      >without having one of the Logos software packages installed. The CD or
                      >download is useless unless you have already bought and installed one of
                      >the Logos software packages: the Logos software package is needed to
                      >essentially "unlock" and make usable on your computer the electronic >books you are buying from Logos.

                      Where did you get this information?

                      This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The the Logos software engine is available as a free download and it, as far as I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason why someone wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.
                    • James Spinti
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                        Thanks. I must have missed that.

                        James

                        ________________________________
                        James Spinti
                        Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                        Eisenbrauns, Good books for over 30 years
                        jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                        Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com <https://hplh301/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.eisenbrauns.com>
                        Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                          On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Michael Aubrey wrote:

                          > Where did you get this information?
                          >
                          > This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The the Logos software engine is available as a
                          > free download and it, as far as I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason why someone
                          > wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.

                          It's been about 10 years since I used Logos products, so perhaps some
                          things have changed and I'll need to correct what I said in that post. I
                          perused the Logos site a bit and did not find the free download of the
                          Logos software engine you speak of. Can you provide a link? I did find
                          this assertion though, which would require me to correct at least part of
                          what I said in my previous post: "All of our products can be used by
                          themselves, but are greatly enhanced when added to one of our base
                          packages." So maybe the Goettingen CD/download can be used without buying
                          from Logos what I called one of their "software packages" (what they seem
                          to call here "base packages")? Even if that is the case, what I said about
                          non-Windows users such as myself (I use Linux) remains true: unless this
                          is something I can install and run using WINE, it won't do me/us much
                          good.

                          Thanks,
                          James
                        • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                            James and all,

                            Yes, there is a free download for the basic Logos library reader,
                            called Libronix:
                            http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls
                            (It is oddly placed under Support, rather than Downloads, and has
                            always been.)

                            I've used it for years with various individually purchased "library"
                            files (the Biblical Archaeologist back issues, Anchor Bible
                            Dictionary, etc). There are a number of Bible and other texts that
                            are freely downloadable with the reader as well.

                            It is not necessary to buy one of the more expensive packages in order
                            to use the software. The reader and some basic items are available
                            gratis.

                            Regards,
                            Kevin P. Edgecomb
                            Berkeley, California
                          • James Miller
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                              On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Kevin P. Edgecomb wrote:

                              > James and all,
                              >
                              > Yes, there is a free download for the basic Logos library reader,
                              > called Libronix:
                              > http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls
                              > (It is oddly placed under Support, rather than Downloads, and has
                              > always been.)
                              >
                              > I've used it for years with various individually purchased "library"
                              > files (the Biblical Archaeologist back issues, Anchor Bible
                              > Dictionary, etc). There are a number of Bible and other texts that
                              > are freely downloadable with the reader as well.
                              >
                              > It is not necessary to buy one of the more expensive packages in order
                              > to use the software. The reader and some basic items are available
                              > gratis.

                              Ok. Thanks for that information. I stand corrected: one _can_ buy just the
                              CD or download of the Goettingen edition they're coming out with and
                              expect to be able to use it. Incidentally, I've just tried installing the
                              library reader under wine on Linux but was unsuccessful. So the reader and
                              Goettingen edition is something for Windows and maybe Mac users.

                              James
                            • Cindy Smith
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                                Quoting "Kevin P. Edgecomb" <kevin@...>:

                                > You're welcome, Peter! It's a real bargain. Even if they are to be only
                                > page images, as Sigrid Peterson just mentioned, they will be more useful
                                > than not having them at all. Even here at UC Berkeley, they dropped the
                                > subscription for Septuaginta several years ago, so we don't have all the
                                > volumes. They're simply too expensive, even for a library, at this point.
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Kevin P. Edgecomb
                                > Berkeley, California

                                Kevin,

                                Actually, I use BibleWorks 8, and it contains the complete
                                Septuaginta. Here are all the Greek texts found in BibleWorks 8: BGT
                                BibleWorks LXX/BNT, BBNT BibleWorks NT (NA27), BUZ Robinson-Pierpont
                                Majority Text (1995), LXT LXX Septuaginta Rahlfs'. Also, GNT Friberg
                                NT (UBS 3/4), MET Metaglottisis Greek NT (2004), MGK Modern Greek
                                Bible. Also, OPG OT Greek Pseudepigrapha. Also, APF Apostolic
                                Fathers Greek, GOC Greek Orthodox Church NT, JOM Josephus, MOS
                                Josephus, PHI Works of Philo, SCR Scrivener 1894 NT, STE Stephanus
                                (Robert Etienne's) (1550) NT, TIS Tischendorf NT (8th edition), VST
                                vonSoden, and WHO Westcott and Hort NT. There are also accompanying
                                morphologies.

                                This is all in addition to various texts of the Hebrew Bible, the
                                Vulgate, the New Vulgate, the Jerome Vulgate, and translations of the
                                Bible into most of the world's modern languages.

                                I have found it to be a very worthwhile and usable tool.

                                Yours,

                                --
                                Cindy Smith
                                cms@...

                                A Real Live Catholic in Georgia!
                              • fivefree@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                                  I bought the Liddell & Scott lexicon from them and the Logos software
                                  engine was included with the purchase.

                                  Jack Jackson

                                  In a message dated 3/10/2009 1:55:57 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                                  mga318@... writes:

                                  >What you _cannot_ do is buy the the download or CD Logos
                                  >offers for $300.00 and expect to be able to use it on your computer
                                  >without having one of the Logos software packages installed. The CD or
                                  >download is useless unless you have already bought and installed one of
                                  >the Logos software packages: the Logos software package is needed to
                                  >essentially "unlock" and make usable on your computer the electronic >books
                                  you are buying from Logos.

                                  Where did you get this information?

                                  This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The
                                  the Logos software engine is available as a free download and it, as far as
                                  I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason
                                  why someone wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.

                                  steps!
                                  (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
                                  %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

                                • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                                    Cindy,
                                    Thank you for your list. Yes, I have BibleWorks as well, and there are many
                                    Greek texts available in it. But the Goettingen Septuaginta is different
                                    from the Septuagint text included in BibleWorks. The BibleWorks LXX is the
                                    Rahlfs LXX text. The Goettingen Septuaginta is a different text, based on
                                    more manuscripts and with an extensive and very valuable apparatus. The
                                    Goettingen LXX text is superior to the Rahlfs, but the printed volumes are
                                    prohibitively expensive. This is why people are excited about having a
                                    relatively affordable electronic text of the volumes announced, that costs
                                    less that the price of two of the printed volumes. Even though the
                                    Goettingen Septuaginta is not complete, it is still the best critical text
                                    around, and is regularly used by those doing translations and critical work
                                    on the LXX. It will be nice to have it all at hand. Perhaps someone will
                                    also do a BibleWorks version. That would be nice.

                                    Regards,
                                    Kevin P. Edgecomb
                                    Berkeley, California
                                  • Michael Aubrey
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 11, 2009
                                      There are rumors that CodeWeavers works:

                                      http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=321%3Btips=1

                                      But I have never tried, myself. It looks like there are a good number of people discussing it actively on the forum.

                                      Mike