Re: Electronic Goettingen Septuaginta

  • Michael Aubrey
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 8, 2009
      Hi Sigrid,

      I don't know much more than you about Logos' plan for this edition, but I think we have more reason to hopeful than you suggest or even than what we seen in the current prepub page. For one, morphological tagging goes well beyond "PDF copies."

      After all, Logos was the first to both digitally publish the Niese appparatus for Josephus AND *translate* all of Niese's Latin prefaces in to English, which was far from a small feat.

      I also happen to know that Logos plans to eventually adapt their current LXX interlinear project to the critical text of Göttingen edition - I know this because I am part of the interlinear project: 4 Maccabees, Odes, & 1-2 Samuel.

      But either way, I see significant value in having a full scale critical text of the LXX available digitally instead of Rahlfs with morphological tagging.

      Regarding the challenge of deciphering the apparatus with rusty German, well, I think Jobes and Silva's book can go a long way there.

      Mike Aubrey
    • James Spinti
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
        Just so you know, Accordance is also working on this. If I remember
        correctly, both intend to have the apparatus available.

        I don't know if either of them plan to include Wever's English
        translation, but I doubt it. They are working directly with Vandenhoeck
        & Ruprecht on this, and V&R doesn't have the English version.

        HTH,
        James
        ________________________________
        James Spinti
        Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
        jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
        Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
        Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
        Fax: 574-269-6788

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
          Thanks everybody. The electronic version is a must have because although it is still expensive, it is not as expensive as the book set. One can by looking at the  NETS translation and clearly figure out what the underlying Greek is as the translators did a superb job on NETS, but in translating the Septuagint I cannot leave things to a guess. I will have to get the download if I want to have all available and the best LXX text at my disposal for translating the LXX.

          Peter A. Papoutsis
          The Law Offices of Nicholas C. Syregelas
          19 North Green Street
          Chicago, IL  60607
          1(312) 243-0900
          1(312) 243-0901 - fax

          This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and delete the original message from your system.

          ________________________________

          ____________ _________ _________ __

          --
          Sigrid Peterson, PhD
          Coordinator
          CCAT/CATSS Variants Project
          Department of Religious Studies
          201 Logan Hall
          University of Pennsylvania
          Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

          petersig {at} ccat.sas.upenn. edu
          001-215-898- 7453 (Department)
          001-215-275- 2740 (Cell)

        • James Miller
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
            On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Peter Papoutsis wrote:

            > Thanks everybody. The electronic version is a must have because although it is still expensive, it is not as expensive as
            > the book set. One can by looking at the� NETS translation and clearly figure out what the underlying Greek is as the
            > translators did a superb job on NETS, but in translating the Septuagint I cannot leave things to a guess. I�will have to
            > get the download if I want to have all available and the best LXX text at my disposal for translating the LXX.

            I just want to offer a clarification on what this electronic version is
            and what is involved in getting it. This is not simply a download of files
            containing the text of the Goettingen edition--say, like the provisional
            NETS translation that could be downloaded freely as pdf files. No, this is
            electronic version is part and parcel of the Logos software system. Logos
            is a piece of Windows software whose essential function is to allow the
            purchaser of the software to keep an electronic theological library on
            their computer. The software comes in various packages ranging in price
            all the way up to well over a thousand dollars: the cost is contingent on
            what texts one buys as part of the package one has purchased (generally,
            the more texts the package contains, the more expensive it is).

            Now, in the case of the electronic version of the Goettingen edition Logos
            will be selling, what is being offered is what I believe is called in
            Logos parlance a "library module." What this means is that if you already
            have one of the Logos software packages installed (and thus the basic
            library functionality Logos software is meant to provide), you can, for an
            additional $300.00 (pre-publication price), buy this Goettingen module and
            enhance your current Logos book collection by adding the Goettingen
            volumes to it. What you _cannot_ do is buy the the download or CD Logos
            offers for $300.00 and expect to be able to use it on your computer
            without having one of the Logos software packages installed. The CD or
            download is useless unless you have already bought and installed one of
            the Logos software packages: the Logos software package is needed to
            essentially "unlock" and make usable on your computer the electronic books
            you are buying from Logos. So, with a Windows computer, one of the Logos
            software packages, and the Goettingen library module enhancement, the
            user will be able to search, read, and print, from any of the Goettingen
            volumes using their computer.

            Those who cannot expect to get much benefit from the electronic Goettingen
            version Logos is offering are those who: are not owners and users of the
            Windows (and maybe Mac) operating systems; are not, or are unwilling to
            become, owners of one of the Logos software packages.

            James

            PS to Peter: by posting to this list you're publishing your e-mails to a
            forum that is accessible to almost anyone who owns a computer and/or has
            internet access. Given that fact, can you see how inappropriate the text
            following your signature (see below) appears? Can you please remove this
            extraneous text when you post to this list? Thanks.

          • Peter Papoutsis
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
              Sorry. Just habit. I'll fix it.

              Peter A. Papoutsis

              ________________________________
> [...]

              PS to Peter: by posting to this list you're publishing your e-mails to a
              forum that is accessible to almost anyone who owns a computer and/or has
              internet access. Given that fact, can you see how inappropriate the text
              following your signature (see below) appears? Can you please remove this
              extraneous text when you post to this list? Thanks.

              > This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are
              > not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the
              > message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly
              > prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and
              > delete the original message from your system.

            • Sigrid Peterson
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
                In answer to the question about the English language Introductions to the
                Pentateuch by John Wevers:

                John Wevers translated his Goettingen (German) Introductions to the books of
                the Pentateuch into English, and donated the several copyrights to CCAT.
                They are available online, with appropriate cautions about the use of
                copyrighted material, at
                http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/01Gen-Wevers-Intro.html

                Goettingen - Genesis Wevers English Introduction
                http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/01Gen-Wevers-Intro.html

                Goettingen - Exodus Wevers English Introduction
                http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/02Exod-Wevers-Intro.html

                Goettingen - Leviticus Wevers English Introduction
                http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/03Lev-Wevers-Intro.html

                Goettingen - Numbers Wevers English Introduction
                http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/04Num-Wevers-Intro.htm

                Goettingen - Deuteronomy Wevers English Introduction
                http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/active/DT%20Intro,%20ed.%20Sigrid%20%20Peterson%20Wevers%20Introduction.html

                Some history, if interested. John Wevers translated his Penteteuch
                Introductions into English using an old version of Nota Bene software. It
                could not be converted by conventional publishers he talked to, and
                CCAT/CATSS (mostly Bob Kraft) undertook to make the conversion and provide
                editing to produce a finished version that would be marketable. Hence the
                files above.

                On Logos
                (1)
                Sure, you can forward any concerns I've raised to Logos. They have our
                number, and have not followed up on interest in the Wevers English
                Introductions.

                (2)
                Thanks for mentioning that Accordance also has rights to the V&R edition of
                the Goettingen. They are planning a fully programmable text, meaning great
                flexibility in dealing with the information in the V&R Goettingen, while
                reproducing the apparatus exactly.

                I don't want to anticipate too much, but I believe they *will* have the
                English-language Wevers Introductions as part of what they are doing. At
                least they've called us!

                All the best,
                Sigrid Peterson
                Coordinator, Variants Project
                petersig@...

                --
                Sigrid Peterson, PhD
                Coordinator
                CCAT/CATSS Variants Project
                Department of Religious Studies
                201 Logan Hall
                University of Pennsylvania
                Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

                petersig {at} ccat.sas.upenn.edu
                001-215-275-2740 (Cell)

              • James Spinti
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
                  Sigrid,

                  I just talked (via e-mail) to Accordance. They are planning on including
                  the English version of Wevers' introductions. Additionally, their text
                  will be morphologically tagged; from the promo announcement, it appears
                  Logos' will not.

                  I am hopeful that Accordance will announce something soon, but they tend
                  to be cautious about things and avoid vaporware announcements,
                  preferring to let the product sell itself once they have something to
                  show.

                  HTH,
                  James

                  ________________________________
                  James Spinti
                  Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                  jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                  Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
                  Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
                  Fax: 574-269-6788

                    In answer to the question about the English language Introductions to the
                    Pentateuch by John Wevers:

                    John Wevers translated his Goettingen (German) Introductions to the books of
                    the Pentateuch into English, and donated the several copyrights to CCAT.
                    [snip]

                    I write:

                    As they say: Ausgezeichnet! Viel Dank!

                    Regards,
                    Kevin P. Edgecomb
                    Berkeley, California
                  • Michael Aubrey
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                      James, Logos' prepub page says that it will be morphologically tagged.
                    • Michael Aubrey
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                        >What you _cannot_ do is buy the the download or CD Logos
                        >offers for $300.00 and expect to be able to use it on your computer
                        >without having one of the Logos software packages installed. The CD or
                        >download is useless unless you have already bought and installed one of
                        >the Logos software packages: the Logos software package is needed to
                        >essentially "unlock" and make usable on your computer the electronic >books you are buying from Logos.

                        Where did you get this information?

                        This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The the Logos software engine is available as a free download and it, as far as I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason why someone wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.
                      • James Spinti
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                          Thanks. I must have missed that.

                          James

                          ________________________________
                          James Spinti
                          Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                          Eisenbrauns, Good books for over 30 years
                          jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                          Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com <https://hplh301/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.eisenbrauns.com>
                          Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                            On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Michael Aubrey wrote:

                            > Where did you get this information?
                            >
                            > This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The the Logos software engine is available as a
                            > free download and it, as far as I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason why someone
                            > wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.

                            It's been about 10 years since I used Logos products, so perhaps some
                            things have changed and I'll need to correct what I said in that post. I
                            perused the Logos site a bit and did not find the free download of the
                            Logos software engine you speak of. Can you provide a link? I did find
                            this assertion though, which would require me to correct at least part of
                            what I said in my previous post: "All of our products can be used by
                            themselves, but are greatly enhanced when added to one of our base
                            packages." So maybe the Goettingen CD/download can be used without buying
                            from Logos what I called one of their "software packages" (what they seem
                            to call here "base packages")? Even if that is the case, what I said about
                            non-Windows users such as myself (I use Linux) remains true: unless this
                            is something I can install and run using WINE, it won't do me/us much
                            good.

                            Thanks,
                            James
                          • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                              James and all,

                              Yes, there is a free download for the basic Logos library reader,
                              called Libronix:
                              http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls
                              (It is oddly placed under Support, rather than Downloads, and has
                              always been.)

                              I've used it for years with various individually purchased "library"
                              files (the Biblical Archaeologist back issues, Anchor Bible
                              Dictionary, etc). There are a number of Bible and other texts that
                              are freely downloadable with the reader as well.

                              It is not necessary to buy one of the more expensive packages in order
                              to use the software. The reader and some basic items are available
                              gratis.

                              Regards,
                              Kevin P. Edgecomb
                              Berkeley, California
                            • James Miller
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                                On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Kevin P. Edgecomb wrote:

                                > James and all,
                                >
                                > Yes, there is a free download for the basic Logos library reader,
                                > called Libronix:
                                > http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls
                                > (It is oddly placed under Support, rather than Downloads, and has
                                > always been.)
                                >
                                > I've used it for years with various individually purchased "library"
                                > files (the Biblical Archaeologist back issues, Anchor Bible
                                > Dictionary, etc). There are a number of Bible and other texts that
                                > are freely downloadable with the reader as well.
                                >
                                > It is not necessary to buy one of the more expensive packages in order
                                > to use the software. The reader and some basic items are available
                                > gratis.

                                Ok. Thanks for that information. I stand corrected: one _can_ buy just the
                                CD or download of the Goettingen edition they're coming out with and
                                expect to be able to use it. Incidentally, I've just tried installing the
                                library reader under wine on Linux but was unsuccessful. So the reader and
                                Goettingen edition is something for Windows and maybe Mac users.

                                James
                              • Cindy Smith
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                                  Quoting "Kevin P. Edgecomb" <kevin@...>:

                                  > You're welcome, Peter! It's a real bargain. Even if they are to be only
                                  > page images, as Sigrid Peterson just mentioned, they will be more useful
                                  > than not having them at all. Even here at UC Berkeley, they dropped the
                                  > subscription for Septuaginta several years ago, so we don't have all the
                                  > volumes. They're simply too expensive, even for a library, at this point.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Kevin P. Edgecomb
                                  > Berkeley, California

                                  Kevin,

                                  Actually, I use BibleWorks 8, and it contains the complete
                                  Septuaginta. Here are all the Greek texts found in BibleWorks 8: BGT
                                  BibleWorks LXX/BNT, BBNT BibleWorks NT (NA27), BUZ Robinson-Pierpont
                                  Majority Text (1995), LXT LXX Septuaginta Rahlfs'. Also, GNT Friberg
                                  NT (UBS 3/4), MET Metaglottisis Greek NT (2004), MGK Modern Greek
                                  Bible. Also, OPG OT Greek Pseudepigrapha. Also, APF Apostolic
                                  Fathers Greek, GOC Greek Orthodox Church NT, JOM Josephus, MOS
                                  Josephus, PHI Works of Philo, SCR Scrivener 1894 NT, STE Stephanus
                                  (Robert Etienne's) (1550) NT, TIS Tischendorf NT (8th edition), VST
                                  vonSoden, and WHO Westcott and Hort NT. There are also accompanying
                                  morphologies.

                                  This is all in addition to various texts of the Hebrew Bible, the
                                  Vulgate, the New Vulgate, the Jerome Vulgate, and translations of the
                                  Bible into most of the world's modern languages.

                                  I have found it to be a very worthwhile and usable tool.

                                  Yours,

                                  --
                                  Cindy Smith
                                  cms@...

                                  A Real Live Catholic in Georgia!
                                • fivefree@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                                    I bought the Liddell & Scott lexicon from them and the Logos software
                                    engine was included with the purchase.

                                    Jack Jackson

                                    In a message dated 3/10/2009 1:55:57 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                                    mga318@... writes:

                                    >What you _cannot_ do is buy the the download or CD Logos
                                    >offers for $300.00 and expect to be able to use it on your computer
                                    >without having one of the Logos software packages installed. The CD or
                                    >download is useless unless you have already bought and installed one of
                                    >the Logos software packages: the Logos software package is needed to
                                    >essentially "unlock" and make usable on your computer the electronic >books
                                    you are buying from Logos.

                                    Where did you get this information?

                                    This is contrary everything I know about Logos and how they do business. The
                                    the Logos software engine is available as a free download and it, as far as
                                    I know, available on every single CD they ship. There shouldn't be any reason
                                    why someone wouldn't be able to only buy this CD and have it work just fine.

                                    steps!
                                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
                                    %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

                                  • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 10, 2009
                                      Cindy,
                                      Thank you for your list. Yes, I have BibleWorks as well, and there are many
                                      Greek texts available in it. But the Goettingen Septuaginta is different
                                      from the Septuagint text included in BibleWorks. The BibleWorks LXX is the
                                      Rahlfs LXX text. The Goettingen Septuaginta is a different text, based on
                                      more manuscripts and with an extensive and very valuable apparatus. The
                                      Goettingen LXX text is superior to the Rahlfs, but the printed volumes are
                                      prohibitively expensive. This is why people are excited about having a
                                      relatively affordable electronic text of the volumes announced, that costs
                                      less that the price of two of the printed volumes. Even though the
                                      Goettingen Septuaginta is not complete, it is still the best critical text
                                      around, and is regularly used by those doing translations and critical work
                                      on the LXX. It will be nice to have it all at hand. Perhaps someone will
                                      also do a BibleWorks version. That would be nice.

                                      Regards,
                                      Kevin P. Edgecomb
                                      Berkeley, California
                                    • Michael Aubrey
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 11, 2009
                                        There are rumors that CodeWeavers works:

                                        http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=321%3Btips=1

                                        But I have never tried, myself. It looks like there are a good number of people discussing it actively on the forum.

                                        Mike