Jeremias

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2009
      Dear Albert (hope that's ok?)

      I see in Jeremias 29:9 (Jeremiah 47:8 MT) the passage reads "their face was misled." However, my examination of Rahlfs Septuaginta and The Greek Orthodox Church's LXX text has the word τόπος which means "Place." Am I to assume that Ziegler's LXX text uses the greek word "Prosopos" (Face) or is τόπος somehow translated to face by NETS?

      Please understand that I would love to purchase Ziegler's LXX text, and stop asking these questions, but it is very cost prohibitive at the current time for me to purchase this text. Have a good night.

      Peter A. Papoutsis

      This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and delete the original message from your system.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2009
        Dear Peter,

        If I can express my humble opinion (without being in possession of Ziegler).... The previous verse (30:1 in the Rahlfs Bible) speaks of σοφια "wisdom" being gone. So you'd expect in this verse (30:2 Rahlfs) σοφος "wise man" as subject of "was deceived". Maybe Ziegler's source thought τοπος "place", which doesn't make sense, is an error for σοφος and wrote προσωπος to warn the reader. Προσωπος is thus a scribal gloss in the sense pro "instead of" (Latin)+ σωπος (i.e. σοφος) "instead of σοφος". The copyist was afraid to wipe away τοπος without a trace and inserted the gloss "instead of σοφος" to alert the reader to the erronious word in his/her Vorlage.

        Andrew Fincke

        To: albert.pietersma@...
        CC: lxx@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2009
          Your pretty close to what Prof. Pietersma told me. Thanks Andrew.

          To: albert.pietersma@ sympatico. ca
          CC: lxx@yahoogroups. com
          From: papoutsis1@yahoo. com
          Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 15:05:57 -0800

[...]

          Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet.
          http://windowslive. com/online/ groups?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_groups_ 032009