Jeremias 28:11

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2009
      Hello All:

      I have a quick question in regards to the ending of Jeremias 28:11. Pursuant to the Zoe Brotherhood/Apostoliki Diakonia LXX text, Rahlfs-Hanhart Septuaginta (Editio Altera), Swete's LXX, and the Penn. State LXX parasing program (that usually has all listed variants) the ending of Jeremias 28:11 reads:

      ἐστίν ἐκδίκησις λαου̃ αὐτου̃ ἐστιν

      Which I have translated as: "...it is the vengeance of His people."

      However, I noticed that in the NETS translation that uses Ziegler's critical LXX text it translates this last part of Jeremias 28:11 as: "vengence for his shrine."

      I have not been able to find any variant in regards to the word λαου̃. Maybe Ziegler is using the word vαοs or some variant thereby, but I have not been able to find it. So, my question is does anybody know what variant Ziegler is using for the ending of Jeremias 28:11 where he substituted the word shrine for people, or is the NETS translation somehow interpreting instead of translating this last part of Jeremias 28:11 as "Shrine" instead of "People"? If anyone has any answers it would be greatly appriciated.

      Thank you.

    • Peter Papoutsis
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2009
        Prof. Albert Pietersma answered my question. His reply was:

        Dear Peter,
        Yes, Ziegler's critical does indeed read NAOS rather than LAOS, and since MT reads HYKL, there seems little doubt that Ziegler is correct. In Greek NAOS and LAOS look very similar and are confused in other places as well.
        All the best,
        Al