Matthew 23:37-39

  • patandjimellis
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2008
      In Matthew 23:37-39 Jesus weeps over Jerusalem. It is recorded this
      way in the NKJV
      37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones
      those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children
      together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were
      not willing! 38 See! Your house is left to you desolate; 39 for I say
      to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, `Blessed is He who
      comes in the name of the LORD!'"

      Do you think He may have had in mind or was refering to this passage?

      24 `What shall I do to you, O Jacob? You, Judah, would not obey me. I
      will turn to other nations and will give them my name, so that they
      may keep my statutes. 25 Because you have forsaken me, I also will
      forsake you. When you beg mercy of me, I will show you no mercy. 26
      When you call to me, I will not listen to you; for you have defiled
      your hands with blood, and your feet are swift to commit murder. 27It
      is not as though you had forsaken me; you have forsaken yourselves,
      says the Lord.

      28 `Thus says the Lord Almighty: Have I not entreated you as a father
      entreats his sons or a mother her daughters or a nurse her children,
      29 so that you should be my people and I should be your God, and that
      you should be my children and I should be your father? 30 I gathered
      you as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings. But now, what shall I
      do to you? I will cast you out from my presence. 31When you offer
      oblations to me, I will turn my face from you; for I have rejected
      your festal days, and new moons, and circumcisions of the flesh. 32 I
      sent you my servants the prophets, but you have taken and killed them
      and torn their bodies in pieces; I will require their blood of you,
      says the Lord.

      33 `Thus says the Lord Almighty: Your house is desolate; I will drive
      you out as the wind drives straw; 34 and your sons will have no
      children, because with you they have neglected my commandment and
      have done what is evil in my sight. 35 I will give your houses to a
      people that will come, who without having heard me will believe. Those
      to whom I have shown no signs will do what I have commanded. 36 They
      have seen no prophets, yet will recall their former state. 37 I call
      to witness the gratitude of the people that is to come, whose children
      rejoice with gladness; though they do not see me with bodily eyes,
      yet with the spirit they will believe the things I have said.

      38 `And now, father, look with pride and see the people coming from
      the east; 39 to them I will give as leaders Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
      and Hosea and Amos and Micah and Joel and Obadiah and Jonah 40 and
      Nahum and Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi, who is
      also called the messenger of the Lord.
      2 Esdras 1:24-40 NRSV
    • Bob Burns
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2008
        Why yes, I do, because I don't late-date 2 Esdras.

        I never saw that parallel before. Thank you.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2008
          I think you're stretching things a bit, Pat and Jim,
          The city mentioned in Matthew 23 is an observant city as verse 39: "You shall SEE me no more" makes clear. Now there's only one city I know of that can be addressed in such a manner, and that is AI(N) (LXX: GAI), which means in Hebrew "eye", the city Joshua destroyed (Josh. 7-8). It was the next city after Jericho in Joshua's campaign against the Canaanites (Josh. 6), and logic tells us that that was Jerusalem, just up the hill from Jericho. The prominent place in Jerusalem facing east is Mount Scopus, which means "mount of watchers".
          Andrew Fincke

          To: lxx@yahoogroups.comFrom: jim@...: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 03:17:25 +0000Subject: [lxx] Matthew 23:37-39