Enoch commended as having pleased God?

  • Bob Burns
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2008
      "By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death, and he was
      not found, because God had taken him. Now before he was taken he was
      commended as having pleased God." (Hebrews 11:5 ESV)

      In this passage the writer of the Book of Hebrews seems to know
      something not revealed within our Bible. Enoch "was commended as having
      pleased God". How does the writer of Hebrews know Enoch was commended?
      Do we find the commendation of Enoch, in the Book of Enoch, perhaps?

      Even Jesus ben Sirach, 150 years before the Book of Hebrews seems to
      have known Enoch was commended as having pleased God...

      "Enoch pleased the Lord, and was taken up; he was an example of
      repentance to all generations." (Sirach 44:16 RSV)

      From where did these writers acquire such knowledge? Because both
      writers were referring to the Greek translation of Genesis. Here is a
      familiar passage of scripture translated from the Greek to English.

      "Now Henoch was well pleasing to God after he became the father of
      Mathousala, for two hundred years, and had sons and daughters. And all
      the days of Henoch amounted to 365 years. And Henoch was well pleasing
      to God, and he was not found, because God transferred him." (Genesis
      5:22-24 NETS)

      And here is the same passage translated from the Hebrew, as most of us
      are used to reading it.

      "Enoch walked with God after he fathered Methuselah 300 years and had
      other sons and daughters. Thus all the days of Enoch were 365 years.
      Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him." (Genesis
      5:22-24 ESV)

      Enoch indeed was "commended as having pleased God" in the Greek version
      of Genesis.
    • Dale Ogilvie
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 15, 2008
        Indeed. It would seem that contrary to Jerome's view, the new
        testament tends to quote from the LXX. This is particularly so for the
        letter to the Hebrews.

        Here is a good list of examples:

        http://www.geocities.com/r_grant_jones/Rick/Septuagint/splist1.htm

        In my view Jerome seems to have been standing on shaky ground when he
        used the authority of the "old testament of the apostles" for the
        masoretic text against the LXX.

        http://www.geocities.com/r_grant_jones/Rick/Septuagint/splistMT.htm

        R. Grant Jone's site is generally interesting.

        http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/7224/Rick/Septuagint/spindex.htm

        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Burns" <summascriptura@...> wrote:

        > "By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death, and he was
        > not found, because God had taken him. Now before he was taken he was
        > commended as having pleased God." (Hebrews 11:5 ESV)

        <snip>

        > Enoch indeed was "commended as having pleased God" in the Greek version
        > of Genesis.

      • finckean
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 15, 2008
          Yes, Dale!
          1 Samuel 17:35 has David boasting of seizing the lion's beard (so the
          Hebrew), while the LXX cites the harpist: "I grabbed his throat". That
          correction by the 70 inspired the author of Hebrews 11:32-33 to applaud
          David for "seal(ing) the mouth of the lion". If David grabbed his
          beard, the lion's mouth would have dropped open. When David tickled
          his gullet, the lion paused to lick his chops in anticipation of the
          meal.