Re: [lxx] New upcoming LXX translation

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
      I am very well aware of this as I was communicating with Michael on this subject after his LXX Psalms translation came out. He wanted to use my footnotes in my translation of the LXX and I agreed to allowing him to use my footnotes. However, CTOS has to make the final decision on this. I can't wait to see his final product as the samples that he has allowed me to review are very, very good.

      Peter A. Papoutsis

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
        I am looking forward to seeing it as well, and expect that it will be
        the most useable translation for liturgical purposes available, but
        unfortunatley, the translation (at least judging from the Psalter,
        which is available online) opted to use the Greek form of names for
        places and persons, rather than the forms that have been in standard
        use in English for the past 4 centuries+.

        It makes such a translation far less useful when you have names
        like "Nabuchodnosor..." and "Elliseus", that are not going to be
        found in your standard Bible Dictionary or encyclopedia. We have
        English translations of these names, and it makes little sense to use
        strange forms that most people are unfamiliar with, and will not be
        able to look up in any standard texts.

        The NETS translation is even worse, in that respect, I should add.

        -Fr. John Whiteford

        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@...> wrote:

        > I am very well aware of this as I was communicating with Michael on
        this subject after his LXX Psalms translation came out. He wanted to
        use my footnotes in my translation of the LXX and I agreed to
        allowing him to use my footnotes. However, CTOS has to make the final
        decision on this. I can't wait to see his final product as the
        samples that he has allowed me to review are very, very good.

        > Peter A. Papoutsis

      • Peter Papoutsis
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
          I am very well aware of this as I was communicating with Michael on this subject after his LXX Psalms translation came out. He wanted to use my footnotes in my translation of the LXX and I agreed to allowing him to use my footnotes. However, CTOS

          Peter A. Papoutsis

          This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and delete the original message from your system.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
            Dear Father:

            I can understand your disappointment in the use of transliterated names. I personally prefer transliteration, but I can understand the compliant of those that do not. Overall Mr. Asser's translation will be very welcomed in the Orthodox world. I personally like the NETS translation, for personal reading and study, alas its not suitable for general Orthodox use. I too share your criticism of translating "Spirit of God" as divine wind. What exactly does that mean? However, neither is the OSB, 1st Edition, satisfactory, which I found to be a great disappointment both in the Old and New Testament. They fail to properly translate the LXX in many areas and don't give us an official translation of the Church's Official New Testament from the Constandinopilan NT text. Yet, I am still hopeful that the OSB people will get things correct in their 2nd edition, at least that's what I tell myself so I don't get to angry at what they did (or failed to do) in their
            LXX translation.

          • Far Talk
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
              If they changed the names to match the Medieval pointings of the Massoretes,
              wouldn't that mean altering the base text of LXX and anachronistic, too?

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
                Dear Far,
                Not sure what you're getting at. "Ezekiel"'s a tongue-twister, but try saying it in Hebrew! "Yechezkeyl" means "God is strong", but LXX �������� (YEZEKIHL) is a mystery to me. It captures the rhythm of the Hebrew but displaces a syllable. Any ideas?
                Andrew Fincke

                To: lxx@yahoogroups.comFrom: far.talk@...: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:52:47 -0400Subject: Re: [lxx] Re: New upcoming LXX translation

                If they changed the names to match the Medieval pointings of the Massoretes,wouldn't that mean altering the base text of LXX and anachronistic, too?On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Fr. John Whiteford <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:> I am looking forward to seeing it as well, and expect that it will be> the most useable translation for liturgical purposes available, but> unfortunatley, the translation (at least judging from the Psalter,> which is available online) opted to use the Greek form of names for> places and persons, rather than the forms that have been in standard> use in English for the past 4 centuries+.>> It makes such a translation far less useful when you have names> like "Nabuchodnosor..." and "Elliseus", that are not going to be> found in your standard Bible Dictionary or encyclopedia. We have> English translations of these names, and it makes little sense to use> strange forms that most people are unfamiliar with, and will not be> able to look up in any standard texts.>> The NETS translation is even worse, in that respect, I should add.>> -Fr. John Whiteford>>> --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com <lxx%40yahoogroups.com>, Peter Papoutsis> <papoutsis1@...> wrote:> >> > I am very well aware of this as I was communicating with Michael on> this subject after his LXX Psalms translation came out. He wanted to> use my footnotes in my translation of the LXX and I agreed to> allowing him to use my footnotes. However, CTOS has to make the final> decision on this. I can't wait to see his final product as the> samples that he has allowed me to review are very, very good.> >> > Peter A. Papoutsis> >> >> >> > ----- Original Message ----> > From: criostoir1971 <criostoir1971@...>> > To: lxx@yahoogroups.com <lxx%40yahoogroups.com>> > Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:56:45 PM> > Subject: [lxx] New upcoming LXX translation> >> >> > I just received the latest issue of "Orthodox Tradition," published> by> > the Center for Traditionalist Orthodox Studies, and it lists the> > following title as a forthcoming publication:> >> > "The Septuagint: Old Testament and Apocrypha," complied by Michael> > Asser, to be published in six volumes: the Pentateuch, followed by> the> > Historical Books (in 2 volumes), the Poetical Books, and the Minor> and> > Major Prophets (in 2 volumes).> >> > Given the consistently high quality of translations produced by the> > CTOS, this should be an excellent reference for all Orthodox> > Christians.> >> > In Christ,> > Chris> >> >> >> >> >> >> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]> >>> >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

              • Far Talk
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 10, 2008
                  I am not familiar with that form of "Ezekiel" (Yechezkeyl). One of the
                  reasons for using LXX is to see what it witnesses to. If it is true that LXX
                  and Masoretic represent separate traditions, then it might be misleading to
                  conflate them in regard to proper nouns and the linguistic information that
                  the LXX may preserve would be lost.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 10, 2008
                    Dear Far,
                    1) It is NOT true "that LXX and Masoretic represent separate traditions";
                    2) Unlike English most names in Hebrew mean something - although, admittedly, "God is strong" is not a very profound statement.
                    3) 1 Samuel 22:6 tells us that "Saul sat in Giva' under the tree in Rama". "Giva'" means "hill" in Hebrew and is a synonym of "Rama" (lit. "high place"). LXX thus has Saul sitting in "a hill (BOUNW)under the tree in RAMA". Is that a "separate tradition"? Hebrew and LXX agree in leaving it to the reader to decide whether Saul sat "in a hill" or "in a place called Hill".
                    Andrew Fincke

                    To: lxx@yahoogroups.comFrom: far.talk@...: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:32:37 -0400Subject: Re: [lxx] Re: New upcoming LXX translation

                    I am not familiar with that form of "Ezekiel" (Yechezkeyl). One of thereasons for using LXX is to see what it witnesses to. If it is true that LXXand Masoretic represent separate traditions, then it might be misleading toconflate them in regard to proper nouns and the linguistic information thatthe LXX may preserve would be lost.On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:52 PM, andrew fincke <finckea@...> wrote:>> Dear Far,> Not sure what you're getting at. "Ezekiel"'s a tongue-twister, but try> saying it in Hebrew! "Yechezkeyl" means "God is strong", but LXX Éåæåêéçë> (YEZEKIHL) is a mystery to me. It captures the rhythm of the Hebrew but> displaces a syllable. Any ideas?> Andrew Fincke>>>> To: lxx@yahoogroups.comFrom: far.talk@...: Tue, 2 Sep 2008> 11:52:47 -0400Subject: Re: [lxx] Re: New upcoming LXX translation>>>>> If they changed the names to match the Medieval pointings of the> Massoretes,wouldn't that mean altering the base text of LXX and> anachronistic, too?On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Fr. John Whiteford <> frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:> I am looking forward to seeing it as> well, and expect that it will be> the most useable translation for> liturgical purposes available, but> unfortunatley, the translation (at least> judging from the Psalter,> which is available online) opted to use the Greek> form of names for> places and persons, rather than the forms that have been> in standard> use in English for the past 4 centuries+.>> It makes such a> translation far less useful when you have names> like "Nabuchodnosor..." and> "Elliseus", that are not going to be> found in your standard Bible> Dictionary or encyclopedia. We have> English translations of these names,> and it makes little sense to use> strange forms that most people are> unfamiliar with, and will not be> able to look up in any standard texts.>>> The NETS translation is even worse, in that respect, I should add.>> -Fr.> John Whiteford>>> --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com <lxx%40yahoogroups.com>,> Peter Papoutsis> <papoutsis1@...> wrote:> >> > I am very well aware of> this as I was communicating with Michael on> this subject after his LXX> Psalms translation came out. He wanted to> use my footnotes in my> translation of the LXX and I agreed to> allowing him to use my footnotes.> However, CTOS has to make the final> decision on this. I can't wait to see> his final product as the> samples that he has allowed me to review are very,> very good.> >> > Peter A. Papoutsis> >> >> >> > ----- Original Message ---->> > From: criostoir1971 <criostoir1971@...>> > To: lxx@yahoogroups.com <lxx%> 40yahoogroups.com>> > Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:56:45 PM> >> Subject: [lxx] New upcoming LXX translation> >> >> > I just received the> latest issue of "Orthodox Tradition," published> by> > the Center for> Traditionalist Orthodox Studies, and it lists the> > following title as a> forthcoming publication:> >> > "The Septuagint: Old Testament and> Apocrypha," complied by Michael> > Asser, to be published in six volumes:> the Pentateuch, followed by> the> > Historical Books (in 2 volumes), the> Poetical Books, and the Minor> and> > Major Prophets (in 2 volumes).> >> >> Given the consistently high quality of translations produced by the> > CTOS,> this should be an excellent reference for all Orthodox> > Christians.> >> >> In Christ,> > Chris> >> >> >> >> >> >> > [Non-text portions of this message> have been removed]> >>> >[Non-text portions of this message have been> removed]>>>>>> __________________________________________________________> Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share.>> http://www.windowslive.com/explore/photogallery/posts?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Photo_Gallery_082008>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                  • Ashley Crane
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 25, 2008
                      Dear Far and Andrew,

                      P967 LXX Ezekiel represents a different tradition than MT Ezekiel

                      Ashley

                      _____

                      1) It is NOT true "that LXX and Masoretic represent separate traditions";
                      Andrew Fincke

                      To: lxx@yahoogroups. <mailto:lxx%40yahoogroups.comFrom> comFrom:
                      far.talk@gmail. <mailto:far.talk%40gmail.comDate> comDate: Wed, 10 Sep 2008
                      13:32:37 -0400Subject: Re: [lxx] Re: New upcoming LXX translation