Brenton's source ?

  • Julian Timnev
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001

      Dear group members,

      Could you please explain me which text Brenton is using as a Septuagint in
      his translation. I will appreciate any answer and information as well as
      useful web address.

      With expectation

      Julian Timnev
    • Heinz Schmitz
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
        I understood it to be the Codex Alexandrinus.
        Useful link?
        http://arts-sciences.cua.edu/ecs/jdk/LXX/
        -Heinz Schmitz

        http://inbox.excite.com
      • twilliam@nabcebs.ab.ca
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2001
          >I understood it to be the Codex Alexandrinus.

          Actually the base text for Brenton's tranlation is Vaticanus (B), though indirectly
          through F. Valpy's edition of 1819, which in turn was based on the Sixtine edition (an
          edition published in 1587 under the auspices of Pope Sixtus V). Brenton does include
          variants from Alexandrinus in notes.

          I would concur with Heinz Schmitz that the best LXX website web site with many
          useful links is Joel Kalvesmaki's The Septuagint: Theological and Academic Resources
          for the Study of the Septuagint and Old Greek Versions
          (http://arts-sciences.cua.edu/ecs/jdk/LXX/index.htm)

          Hope this helps.

          -Tyler
          Tyler F. Williams
          Chair, Religion & Theology Program
          Assistant Professor of Old Testament/Hebrew Bible
          North American Baptist College / Edmonton Baptist Seminary
          11525 - 23 Avenue, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6J 4T3
          Phone: (780) 431-5217/ Toll Free: 1-800-567-4988/ Fax: (780) 436-9416
        • Julian Timnev
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2001

            >  ...though indirectly through F. Valpy's edition of 1819, which in turn was based on the Sixtine edition (an
            >  edition published in 1587 under the auspices of Pope
            Sixtus V).

            Could I say that when I have the greek text of Brenton I have actually the Sixtine edition ?
          • twilliam@nabcebs.ab.ca
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2001
              --- In lxx@y..., "Julian Timnev" <jultm777@y...> wrote:

              > Could I say that when I have the greek text of Brenton I have actually the Sixtine
              edition ?
              I don't think you can go that far. Each edition that was based upon the Sixtine took
              different approaches, modifying it more or less. I have not seen the Valpy edition, so I
              can't comment on its approach. I don't think., however, that the Sixtine text filled the
              gaps in Vaticanus with Alexandrinus (as in Brenton's edition), so I assume that was
              done with the Valpy edition (please correct me if anyone knows more).

            • andrew@online.bg
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2001
                -- In lxx@y..., "Tyler F. Williams..> wrote:
                > I don't think., however, that the Sixtine text filled the
                gaps in Vaticanus with Alexandrinus (as in Brenton's edition), so I
                assume that was
                done with the Valpy edition (please correct me if anyone knows more.

                Brenton does not fill the gaps with Alexandrinus. He uses
                Alexandrinus only in some footnotes for comparison. Even in the first
                page of Geneses.

                God bless you. Andrew.
              • twilliam@nabcebs.ab.ca
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 15, 2001
                  --- In lxx@y..., andrew@o... wrote:

                  > Brenton does not fill the gaps with Alexandrinus. He uses
                  > Alexandrinus only in some footnotes for comparison. Even in the first
                  > page of Geneses.

                  I stand corrected! I was thinking of the appendix where there are a number of
                  passages from Alexandrinus. I would assume that the gaps then would have come
                  from the Sixtine edition (and they used a number of mss to supplement Vaticanus)