Re: [lxx] Aquila and "kephalaoie"

  • Matthew A. Kraus
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2001
      For a text of Aquila, see the bottom apparatus of the Gottingen edition of
      the LXX. Continuing a tradition of Hebraizing the LXX, Aquila's rendition
      more closely adheres to the Hebrew root, R'SH, which means "head".
      Semantically, however, the LXX is more accurate--en arche^ means "in the
      beginning", but en kephalaioe^ means "in summing up."

      Matthew Kraus
      Assistant Professor of Classics
      Williams College
      Stetson Hall