RE: [lxx] Re: Mistranslations of the OSB

    Message 1 of 77 , Apr 4 4:19 AM
      If you know Greek, why do you need all the translations? And why so miffed about the Oxford Study Bible?
      Andrew Fincke

      To: lxx@yahoogroups.comFrom: papoutsis1@...: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:23:00 -0700Subject: Re: [lxx] Re: Mistranslations of the OSB

      I have NETS and its Excellent! I use it with my Interlinear New Testament based on the Greek New Testament 27th edition and UBS 4th Edition GNT. I love it. Although they are critical editions they are still wonderful for a Greek Orthodox Christian like myself.I also use the Apostolic Bible which is also an interlinear Bible (LXX OT & NT) which I find is quite excellent, except it omits the deutrocanonicals. I also use The Parallel Apocrypha from Oxford which is also a great translation tool along with the Greek Text placed within its pages for comparason as well as the Berry Greek-English Interlinear New Testament.I use a Full Greek Bible from the Zoe Brotherhood and a New Testament from the Zoe Brotherhood so all these great English translation tools really help me read and understand my Greek Bible and Greek New Testament as well as my Septuagint readings in my Greek Lectionary/Prayerbook the Synkendismos. I've had my Greek Bible & NT, as well as lectionary/prayerbook since I was a young teenager.Peter A. PapoutsisThis e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and delete the original message from your system.----- Original Message ----From: Robert Kraft <kraft@...>To: lxx@yahoogroups.comSent: Thursday, April 3, 2008 8:32:07 PMSubject: Re: [lxx] Re: Mistranslations of the OSBHave you looked at the NETS volume? For information, seehttp://ccat. sas.upenn. edu/nets/Bob Kraft, UPennKenneth Gardner wrote:> I thought I was going to finally get a single volume Bible with an LXX> OT to butresse the NT, but I'm going to have to wait longer. I'm a> little angry over it and feel more than a little cheated by them.__________________________________________________________You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Matthew Johnson
      Message 77 of 77 , Apr 27 11:25 AM
        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Penner" <ken.penner@...> wrote:

        > POxy.237 vii 37-38 (2nd century CE) seems to mention an hERMENEUS
        (court interpreter).
        > ἐκέλευ[σε]ν δι᾽ [á¼`ρ]μηνέως αὐτὴν ἐλεγχθῆναι

        http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text.jsp?doc=P.Oxy.+237&fromdoc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.05.0181

        This is good evidence that they did use court interpreters, at least
        sometimes. I don't have time to read the context before I leave on a
        week-long trip, so I have not been able to verify whether that
        interpeter mentioned is courtroom staff, or an interpreter mentioned
        in the events narrated in the legal document. I'm not even sure
        whether the quoted text is from the case immediately at hand or from
        Teitian's Memorandum. Perhaps you would be willing to add your own
        interpretation of the context.

        So it may not yet quite be evidence that they "would have used
        interpreters for the trials of even (by their
        standards) insignificant persons." But it is at the very least a good
        start.