Mistranslations of the OSB

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 77 , Mar 31, 2008
      I just wanted to know has anyone noticed the mistranslations in the first few chaters of Genesis in the Orthodox Study Bible? If i'm wrong, which I hope I am, please let me know. The mistranslations that I noticed are:

      Genesis 3:15 & Genesis 4:8

      I especially noticed that Genesis 4:8 is omitting a specific passage found in the Septuagint where Cain tells Able "Let's go out to the field." This phrase is missing from the Orthodox Study Bible, but is clearly present in the Septuagint. What's going on?

      Peter A. Papoutsis

      This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and delete the original message from your system.

    • Matthew Johnson
      Message 77 of 77 , Apr 27 11:25 AM
        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Penner" <ken.penner@...> wrote:

        > POxy.237 vii 37-38 (2nd century CE) seems to mention an hERMENEUS
        (court interpreter).
        > ἐκέλευ[σε]ν δι᾽ [á¼`ρ]μηνέως αὐτὴν ἐλεγχθῆναι

        http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text.jsp?doc=P.Oxy.+237&fromdoc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.05.0181

        This is good evidence that they did use court interpreters, at least
        sometimes. I don't have time to read the context before I leave on a
        week-long trip, so I have not been able to verify whether that
        interpeter mentioned is courtroom staff, or an interpreter mentioned
        in the events narrated in the legal document. I'm not even sure
        whether the quoted text is from the case immediately at hand or from
        Teitian's Memorandum. Perhaps you would be willing to add your own
        interpretation of the context.

        So it may not yet quite be evidence that they "would have used
        interpreters for the trials of even (by their
        standards) insignificant persons." But it is at the very least a good
        start.