RE:[lxx] Slavonic Bible

  • Choufrine, Arkadi
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2001
      >>>Slavonic Bible was translated from LXX of course.
      lyc> ------
      lyc> Not quite so. Some parts of it were translated from the Vulgate.

      *Dear ...
      (sorry I can't know you name unless you sign you letters),
      ------
      Sorry. I thought the name shows up in the letterhead.
      --------
      >That depends on which Slavonic Bible do you mean.
      ------
      And which one do you mean? what Slavonic Bible is totally from the
      Septuagint?

      Arkadi Choufrine
    • nelsonchin@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2001
        I found this at http://gnisios.narod.ru/nathanaelbible.html :

        In the Russian Church, first-class translations of both variants of
        Holy Scriptures are readily available: the Church Slavonic
        translation done from the Septuagint, and the Russian Synodal edition
        from the Hebrew text. The original translation into Church Slavonic
        was done by the holy brothers Cyril and Methodius, Equals to the
        Apostles, but only those portions of the Old Testament text used as
        readings (i.e. "paremies") in the divine services have come down to
        us from their translations. Of the complete Bible translated by the
        holy brothers not a single copy has come down to us. In the sixteenth
        century, when the Church began to combat the heresy of the Judaizers,
        it was discovered that there was not a complete Bible anywhere in
        Russia. Thus Archbishop Gennadius commanded that a translation of the
        holy books be done anew from the Greek. This translation of the holy
        books from the Greek has come down to us in the contemporary Church
        Slavonic Bible.

        The Russian translation of the Bible was done from the Hebrew in
        the 19th century. In the better Synodal editions, the most important
        variants between the Hebrew and Septuagint are noted, and
        translations from the Greek are supplied in parentheses. The Bible
        Society edition was done exclusively from the Hebrew text without
        noting the differences with the Greek.
      • Choufrine, Arkadi
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2001
          >Thus Archbishop Gennadius commanded that a translation of the holy books be
          done anew from the Greek.
          ------
          As mentioned, this is not true. This fact casts doubt on another statement
          from the same text:
          --------