Re: [lxx] Late-dating the LXX

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2008
      A strange and difficult question. There was no "LXX" as a physical unit
      before the first century ce, although there were various scrolls of various
      books and groupings that became part of Jewish and Christian scriptures, and
      lists of books considered to be "scriptural." There are fragments of some
      of such scrolls (e.g. Deuteronomy) that are dated as early as the 2nd
      century bce, and authors such as Philo (contemporary of Jesus) clearly used
      some of the books that were later included in the "LXX/OG" anthologies.

      So the quick answer is Yes, but it is a response that needs nuancing in the
      details. "THE LXX" at the time of Jesus is an ideal construct in some sense,
      although portions of what came to be included in the later "LXX" codices
      clearly were in existence and in use.

      Bob

      > What can one say to someone who wishes to late-date the LXX?
      >
      > Is there any firm attestation to the LXX before the time of Christ?
      >
      > Bob Burns
      > San Francisco

      kraft@...
    • Bob Burns