Standard text for collating Greek OT MSS?

  • Bryan Cox
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25 4:54 PM
      What is the standard text used for collating Greek OT manuscripts? (I
      am much more familiar with NT textual criticism, so my question is
      framed from that perspective and may not quite reflect the actual
      situation with studies of the Greek OT.)

      Similarly, how does one go about determining which "flavor" of Greek OT
      one has (i.e., Aquila, Symmachus, Theodotion, etc.)?

      Thanks,
      Bryan Cox
      Plano, Tx
    • Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25 5:02 PM
        Dear Bryan,
        I recommend to you the book by Karen Jobes and Moises Silva, _Invitation to the Septuagint_. You will learn not only the answers to your questions, but also how difficult they are to answer succinctly:

        http://www.amazon.com/Invitation-Septuagint-Karen-H-Jobes/dp/0801022355

        It will be a good foundation for you to have in learning more about the Septuagint.

        Regards,
        Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Berkeley, California

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25 5:15 PM
          Correct me if I'm wrong - but Codex Vaticanus is the base text for both OT and NT. The Vatican offers - or was offering several years ago - a nice facsimile edition for about $5000. The text is in 3 columns in capital letters with no word-breaks, verse-breaks or chapter breaks, although a later hand than the original added chapter numbers of the form "CAP. XXI" (so at 1 Sam 21:1), which coincides with the author's "NS" (55). But the next section - "NZ" (56) is at 1 Sam 21:11, not 22:1. There are gaps here and there, and line-breaks. But the line-ends don't necessarily coincide with the ends of words. Punctuation is sparse, but there are accents and breathings.
          Andrew Fincke

          To: lxx@yahoogroups.comFrom: bccox99@...: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:54:57 +0000Subject: [lxx] Standard text for collating Greek OT MSS?

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25 5:52 PM
            A very good book that I have read in the past! Shows you how well I
            retain information, but then again, I did read it quite a few years
            ago. I'll run back through it again to refresh my horrible memory.
            Thanks.

            --Bryan

            --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin P. Edgecomb" <kevin@...> wrote:

            > Dear Bryan,
            > I recommend to you the book by Karen Jobes and Moises Silva,
            _Invitation to the Septuagint_. You will learn not only the answers
            to your questions, but also how difficult they are to answer
            succinctly:

            > http://www.amazon.com/Invitation-Septuagint-Karen-H-
            Jobes/dp/0801022355

            > It will be a good foundation for you to have in learning more about
            the Septuagint.

            > Regards,
            > Kevin P. Edgecomb
            > Berkeley, California
          • Bryan Cox
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25 6:06 PM
              In NT textual criticism, MSS are (many times) collated "against"
              a "standard" text, usually the Textus Receptus or Robinson-Pierpont
              Byzantine text. In this process, variations from this "base text"
              are noted.

              I am trying to understand (or remember) how this works in Greek OT
              textual criticism. Perhaps I should ask how one determines variants
              in the Greek OT? I would have assumed that a text would be collated
              against some standard critical edition such as Rahlf's Septuaginta or
              the Gottingen edition, but I could be wrong.

              I will check my books agin for the information.

              Thanks,
              Bryan Cox
              Plano, Tx