Re: [lxx] Question on NETS translation - breath

  • Bill Ross
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2008
      >>>It seems you are saying then, that NT texts mentioned "pneuma" would be
      better tranlsated with "breath" for example: "The breath blows where it
      will" "I will send you the breath, which proceeds from the Father" and
      so on. Correct?

      Yes. The breath that proceeds from the father and the breath that Jesus
      contrasts with the flesh is introduced to us in Genesis:

      Ge 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed
      into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

      This is the dichotomy that abounds in scripture, not flesh versus "spirit."

      Joh 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto
      them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost [breath]:

      Bill