Re: Book order

  • Bill Ross
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
      Does anyone have a feel for whether the order of the LXX in the scrolls was
      immediately standardized when it went to codices? The LXX is so different
      from the Tanank. Does anyone know of any issue with ordering, such as a
      controversy of one ordering over the other?

      Also, would the Tanank have been collected into a codex before the LXX?

      Thanks,

      Bill Ross
      http://bibleshockers.com
      Bible Shockers! A collection of disturbing observations of and about the
      Bible.
      "I sing about love and such... maybe it's because I want it so much.." -
      Brandon Heath

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2007
        Bill, I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, particularly the meaning
        you are using for the "LXX" designation.

        The existing large scale scroll of the Old Greek with which I am familiar is
        the Nahal Hever Minor Prophets Scroll. It is in two hands--or there are two
        different scrolls!

        As reconstructed in DJD VII, the order of books follows the order known from
        the Masoretic Text (Hebrew) rather than the order that developed in editions
        of the various Old Greek texts, generally taken from the great codices
        Alexandrinus, Vaticanus, and Sinaiticus.

        You also asked:
        " Also, would the Tanank have been collected into a codex before the LXX?"

        This is a great question:
        Robert Kraft has been investigating this issue, with respect to Jewish use
        of codex format for the Old Greek translations of Jewish scriptures. For
        example, see his paper titled
        "Early Jewish and Christian Scriptural Artifacts: Continuities,
        Discontinuities, and Social Significance"at the following URI:
        http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/earlylxx/sbl2002.htm

        Whether there are Hebrew language codex materials from the beginnings of
        codex technology are discussed in the following article by Harold Scanlin, "The
        Myth of the Paperless Church: Codex, Cognition, and Christianity," which is
        available at the following URI:
        http://www.sbl-site.org/publications/article.aspx?articleId=258

        All the best,
        Sigrid Peterson, Ph.D.
        petersig@...

        On Dec 3, 2007 12:39 PM, Bill Ross < BillRoss@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have a feel for whether the order of the LXX in the scrolls
        > was
        > immediately standardized when it went to codices? The LXX is so different
        > from the Tanank. Does anyone know of any issue with ordering, such as a
        > controversy of one ordering over the other?
        >
        > Also, would the Tanank have been collected into a codex before the LXX?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Bill Ross
        > http://bibleshockers.com
        > Bible Shockers! A collection of disturbing observations of and about the
        > Bible.

      • Ken Penner
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2007
          The order of the books was not standardized in the Great Uncials, or in the lists of Melito, Origen, Athanasius, Epiphanius, Gregory, Amphilochius, Hilary, Jerome, Rufinus, Augustine, or Carthage.
          Ken

          http://bibleshockers.com <http://bibleshockers.com>