Re: [lxx] scope of LXX manuscripts revisited [Kraft 2]

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 25, 2007
      > Thanks so much for your reply, Bob, and the links to some pertinent
      > articles. I'll be taking a look at those but wanted to send off an initial
      > response first. I would like to ask some clarifications, if I may.
      >
      > By way of general clarifications, it seems to me that your response is
      > geared mainly toward the late-Jewish, early-Christian phase of LXX
      > manuscript production and transmission. Is that correct?

      Not entirely, but since that is the period I'm most familiar with, and the
      period in which such important technological changes occurred, it is
      foremost in my earlier response.

      > That phase is, of
      > course, a crucial one: it's the foundational phase for later developments.
      > You've made some important points about that phase and I thank you for
      > offering those.

      > At the same time, however, I do want to point out that my own query
      > extends beyond that phase. To begin clarifying some particulars, let me
      > ask the following question: did the development of a technology which
      > could enable a very concrete realization of the biblical canon, i.e., a
      > development that enabled the entire content to be reproduced in a single
      > tome such as one of the Great Uncials, culminate in around the 4th
      > century?

      The evidence suggests that it became a physical reality then.

      > Does that era and its artifacts represent the high point of the
      > development process, or is it more like the crest of a plateau? Relevant
      > to my inquiry in this thread, after this point in history did the
      > production of similar tomes become more commonplace?

      Yes, more commonplace, but hardly common. These "pandects" were both
      expensive and time consuming (expensive in that sense, too) to produce, and
      probably were made for special purposes such as new and important churches
      and/or church/monastery libraries (the evidence of corrections, e.g. in
      Sinaiticus, shows that some of them were used for some sort of "study").
      But in general, they would have been bulky and awkward to use, and thus
      perhaps in some sense as much for "show" as for "utility."

      > That is an abstract question. To resolve it into the form of a more
      > tangible one, I would ask the following: are full LXX exemplars (or Bibles
      > that contain both OT and NT), judging from extant evidence, more common
      > after the 4th century than they were in the 4th century?

      Yes, in the sense that they probably didn't exist at all prior to the 4th
      century, so their presence after that was in some sense "more common." But
      you are right that not many of them have survived from any period when
      manuscripts were produced by hand (the "manu" part).

      > Looking over the
      > Verzeichnis, it seems to me they were no more common in later centuries,
      > i.e., prior to the advent of the printing press, than they were in the 4th
      > century. But I see myself as only in the beginning stages of working with
      > the Verzeichnis and of trying to draw from it an understanding of some
      > larger issues of LXX history and text tradition. Your input on this
      > question would be appreciated.

      > More to the point, could I ask that you speak to the legitimacy of the
      > following statement: judging from extant manuscript evidence, full LXX
      > exemplars (full in the sense defined in my previous post) were rarely
      > produced in the pre-printing-press era. Does that seem a legitimate way to
      > sum up the state of affairs presented by the LXX ms record? Again, bearing
      > in mind that what is being spoken of is not limited to the 4th century but
      > is rather posited about the entire history during which the LXX was being
      > hand-copied (i.e., up to at least the 15th century).

      Yes, I'd say that is an accurate statement.

      > One might wish to qualify this statement, if, in fact, it is a sound
      > characterization, by pointing to the fragmentary nature of much of the ms
      > evidence. Perhaps a safer summary statement would be: judging from extant
      > manuscript evidence, full LXX exemplars were rarely produced in the
      > pre-printing-press era; but so much of the evidence is in a fragmentary
      > state that a confident assessment of what was the full scope of the works
      > from which the fragments remain cannot be made.

      That is more careful, but my impression is that the fragmentary materials
      tend to be from the earlier period, and thus don't occasion much of a change
      in the situation. What does need to be taken into consideration is what I
      would call "conceptual unity," which is not necessarily "physical unity."
      That is, scribes and scriptoria probably produced multi-volumed sets of
      scripture of which not all of the volumes have survived. That would be
      "fragmentary" in another sense. When a volume of the prophets, for example,
      calls itself something like "part 3," it may be a sub-section of a larger
      physical unit that consisted of several codices representing "the
      scriptures." Or it may only be a section of a conceptual unity (several
      parts), of which for whatever reason only this part was copied and
      circulated (Psalms, for example, or the Gospels).

      > But I'm begging the question with that qualification. What I really should
      > be doing is posing again a query from my previous post: is it true, as it
      > seems to me from my perusal of the Verzeichnis so far, that a large
      > proportion of ms evidence for the LXX is fragmentary? I.e., doesn't so
      > much of it consist in such limited amounts of material (anywhere from
      > fragments of a page to several pages) that it is impossible to tell what
      > was the scope of the work of which it was originally a part? To relate
      > this question more directly to the overall inquiry, one could say that
      > these fragments may or may not be the remains of pandect codices like the
      > Great Uncials: we just can't say with any certainty one way or the other.
      > Reactions, please?

      My impression is that this sort of problem is especially true of the
      earliest materials, say, up to the 8th century. For the period before the
      4th century, the possibility that a fragment was from a pandect is extremely
      unlikely. After the 4th century it could happen (e.g. Sinaiticus discovered
      bit by bit!), but is relatively infrequent. But both before and after the
      4th century, there sometimes was "conceptual unity" (as the lists in Melito
      and Origen show) and might even have been multi-volume physical unity (how
      many volumes would there have been if Origen's Hexapla covered everything in
      his list?). But most copying seems to have taken place at a less than
      everything level, as is also true for other obvious "unities" such as Homer
      or Philo, or whomever. Most literary authors of whom we are aware wrote
      multi- "volumed" works (scrolls, in the earlier period; what format did
      Eusebius use to produce his ten "books" of the Church History, etc.?). Often
      only portions of those works have survived, because the copying was piece by
      piece (physically speaking), not of the whole series (conceptually
      speaking). So also with scriptures, whether Jewish or Christian. So I see it
      as less a problem of "fragments" in your sense, and more a question of
      intent and of practicality. I don't usually know whether a codex of Exodus,
      say, was originally part of a set of Pentateuchal (or more broadly Jewish or
      Christian scriptural) codices, although I can often tell that it was in
      circulation by itself, as a "mini-codex" (or similarly a copy of the
      Octateuch, or Psalms with Odes, or whatever). Now if we had more pictures of
      the shelves on which such items were stored, we might know more!

      [see http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/publics/new2/sbl2006-pics/Slide36.JPG
      and http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/publics/new2/sbl2006-pics/Slide28.JPG%5d

      > Finally, regarding what I said, using perhaps inappropriate terminology,
      > about "truncated exemplars." I take it that my deduction from the
      > Verzeichnis that manuscripts were sometimes produced that contained only a
      > limited portion of the canon--say the Prophets--is an legitimate one?

      Absolutely. No question.

      > So,
      > for example the manuscript whose siglum in the new Verzeichnis is G was
      > originally produced as a volume that contained only the Octateuch; or W is
      > a manuscript that never contained anything more than the Minor Prophets.
      > These, then, are not remnants of what were once larger manuscripts, but
      > represent manuscripts whose content was limited to the Octateuch or 12
      > Prophets, respectively. Am I making legitimate deductions from the data
      > included in the Verzeichnis about these mss?

      Yes, but the "multi-volumed" origin still looms as a (usually unanswerable)
      problem.

      > I apologize if it seems I am putting you on the spot with these questions.
      > I realize that it may be impossible to answer them authoritatively, or
      > that answers to them may still be under dispute. Or they may also be
      > outside your particular area of expertise. I pose them because, as junior
      > LXX scholar, I wish to know better what are the bounds of certainty
      > regarding some fundamental characteristics of the field and our knowledge
      > concerning it. Answers could also help me with an article I'm currently
      > writing :), btw.

      And thinking through these issues will help me in constructing my seminar
      for next spring on ancient technology and the development of the Christian
      book! So thanks to you.

      > I do not wish to limit this thread to a conversation between Bob and I, so
      > relevant input from others is certainly welcome.

      Indeed, the more the merrier, as long as it is well informed -- as yours has
      been.

      Bob

      kraft@...