Looking for Online English Translation

  • g
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2001
      Has ANYONE ever run into such a thing?

      I would love to find an English translation
      of the Septuagint.

      All I can ever find is the King James English
      version.... next to Greek.

      George
    • Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2001
        Dear George,
        I think the closest thing to what you want is the full set of images of the
        pages of Lancelot Brenton's translation. You can find it
        here: http://www.ccel.org/b/brenton/lxx/htm/TOC.htm
        Apparently, there are people there (sporadically?) working on getting the
        text into html, of which several books are done and are listed here:
        http://www.ccel.org/bible/brenton/
        On the other hand, if you have the Online Bible software, which as I
        remember is free, you can download the Brenton LXX in English and view it
        from your own computer. I've got the Bible Works program, and it's
        included in there, but that's not free.

        Also, there are excerpts from a translation in progress, which is being
        done by members of the Eastern Orthodox Church:
        http://www.lxx.org/index2.html, then click the Works in Progress link on
        the left and see all the goodies there! Also, if you look closely at the
        photo on that page (http://www.lxx.org/index2.html), you'll see our very
        own list moderator, Joel Kalvesmaki, who is a part of that project. He's
        the one in red shirt on the left in the first row, it seems! Hi Joel!

        Aside from these, there is also the translation of the Psalms by Holy
        Transfiguration Monastery which is available in several places online,
        including here: http://pomog.org/psalter.shtml. Note that the psalms are
        arranged in the manner in which they are read in monastery, by kathisma and
        stasis.

        Best wishes,

        Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Berkeley, California

      • dakatcher@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2001
          In a message dated 4/5/01 5:46:44 PM, george.x.brooks@... writes:

          << Has ANYONE ever run into such a thing?

          I would love to find an English translation
          of the Septuagint.

          All I can ever find is the King James English
          version.... next to Greek.

          George >>

          There are two: Sir Lancelot Brenton and Charles Thompson