[lxx] Letter of Aristeas and Alexandrine Scholarship

  • RGmyrken@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11 1:14 PM
      The letter of Aristeas to Philocrates 302 gives the barest of hints on
      the process of translating the Septuagint, saying that the process involved
      the comparison of versions (collations). Zuntz, "Aristeas on the Translation
      of the Torah", in Jellicoe's 1974 *Studies in the Septuagint Origins*,
      221-222 suggests this conveys no genuine historical tradition, but was based
      on a presumed "analogy... between Alexandrian scholarship and the production
      of the Alexandrine Bible."
      My question for the group is, what is known of the methods used by
      Alexandrine scholarship? That is, what are the primary ancient sources in
      this area and are there any authoritative modern works in the secondary
      literature? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Russell Gmirkin
      Portland, Oregon

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/lxx
    • MBenassi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12 8:06 AM
        The most recent article I've seen touching on this subject is by Bruno
        Rochette, Le prologue du livre de Ben Sirach le Sage in Babel, 44:2, 139-49
        (1999). It's in French but the abstract in English covers the essentials.
        It focuses specifically on translations of religious texts and approaches it
        more from the perspective of translation theory.

        Mark Benassi
        University of Colorado

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/lxx