Esaias

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
      In a hope to return this group to its proper focus, I have recently tranlated the following text from the Apostoliki Diakonia text of Esaias with alternate readings attached. I would like any textual comment if any wish to give it.

      Chapter 37

      And it came to be, when King Ezekias heard it, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth about him, and went up into the house of the Lord.

      2 And he sent * Eliakim the steward, and Somnas the scribe, and the elders of the priests clothed with sackcloth, to Esaias the son of Amos, the prophet, 3 and they said to him, Thus says Ezekias, This is a day of affliction, and reproach, and rebuke, and anger, this very day, because the pangs have come upon the woman giving birth, but she does not have strength to give birth. 4 May the Lord thy God hear the words of * Rapsakou, which the King of the Assyrians * has sent, to reproach the living God, even to reproach with the words which the Lord thy God has heard; therefore thou will pray to * the Lord thy God concerning these  that are left.

      5 And the servants of King Ezekias came to Esaias, 6 and Esaias said to them, Thus will ye say to your lord, Thus saith the Lord, Do not be afraid at the words which thou have heard, with which the ambassadors of the King of the Assyrians have reproached Me, 7 Behold, I will put a spirit in him, and he will hear a report, and return to his own land, and he will fall by the sword in his own land.

      8 And * Rapsakis returned, and found the King of the Assyrians besieging * Lomnan. * And the King of the Assyrians had heard that 9 Tharaka the King of the Ethopians had gone forth to besiege him. And when he heard this, he turned back, and sent messengers to Ezekian, saying, 10 Thus shall ye say to Ezekia the King of Judea, Do not let thy God, in whom thou trust, deceive thee by saying, Jerusalem will not be delivered into * the hands of the King of the Assyrians.

      * Codex Alexandrinus adds: “him”.

      * Codex Vaticanus and Lucian’s LXX recension for verse four reads “Ravaskou” and verse eight read “Ravsakis”.

      * Lucian’s LXX recension and the big Catena in XVI prophetas read: “his lord”.

      * Codex Vaticanus reads: “thy Lord”.

      * Codex Vaticanus Marchalianus reads: “lomna”; Codex Vaticanus, Lucian’s LXX recension and the big Catena in XVI prophetas read: “Lovnan”.

      * Codex Vaticanus reads: “…because he had heard that he had left from Lahis. 9 And Tharaka the King of the Ethiopians went forth to besiege him”.

      * Codex Vaticanus and the big Catena in XVI prophetas read: “the hand”.

      Lets get back on track people.

      Peter A. Papoutsis

      This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and delete the original message from your system.

      Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
    • S Peterson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
        Peter,
        I am familiar, as are we all, with Vaticanus. I don't know what you
        mean by the "big Catena in XVI prophetas," though. Do you mean XII
        Prophetas? If so, where do you locate the "big Catena?"

        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@...> wrote:

        > In a hope to return this group to its proper focus, I have recently
        tranlated the following text from the Apostoliki Diakonia text of
        Esaias with alternate readings attached. I would like any textual
        comment if any wish to give it.

        > * Codex Vaticanus and the big Catena in XVI prophetas read: �the hand�.

        > Lets get back on track people.
        >
        > Peter A. Papoutsis

        AMEN doesn't need as much textual work or translation as other Hebrew
        words!

        All the best,
        Sigrid Peterson
        petersig@...
      • S Peterson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
          When we log in to Yahoo groups and go to the latest posts of the current discussion, I believe we always find an interesting paragraph of introduction that, among other things, says that this list is for serious scholars working in fields that deal with the Septuagint.

          And if those scholars irk some of us with nonsense and off-topic replies, we may have email-processing software that allows us to block them by name. Or they may have the courtesy to mark their material as "off-topic."

          It is difficult to find any really official statement of the purpose or content of the list. By definition, in the category "Links" off to the left of your page when you log in to Yahoo Groups, in the second link of three, is Joel Kalvesmaki's "List Home Page." It is actually a web site,

          http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/

          The page is instructive. The very last sentence of Joel Kalvesmaki's web site reads as follows:

          If you are a graduate student or established scholar in LXX studies, you may want to join the discussion list, which facilitates exchange of ideas and questions on topics related directly or indirectly to Septuagintal studies.
          The bold-face type is my idea.

          Bearing one's testimony about how the NT changes the way we interpret the Old Greek  or Hebrew does not have a place here. That is because we want to know, back before any issues of interpretation, what does the text actually say in its original language.  In the words of a colleague who moderates another list that often deals with similar issues, "We do history here."

          We don't do interpretation, or meaning for modern life.  Many of us who qualify for the list take those issues as seriously as the textual issues, in other areas of our lives. For  that reason, creative attempts to tease meaning out of the Hebrew and Greek texts we have available by "strangifying" it,  are also a challenge, and a little goes a long way.

          It generally helps to be able to answer the question "How do we know this?"

          Sigrid Peterson
          petersig@...

        • Peter Papoutsis
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
            Its a site to a LXX codex in Rahlf's Septuagint on the last page of his English introduction, page LXV in my edition with the symbol for that codex.

            Peter A. Papoutsis

            This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and delete the original message from your system.

            I am familiar, as are we all, with Vaticanus. I don't know what you
            mean by the "big Catena in XVI prophetas," though. Do you mean XII
            Prophetas? If so, where do you locate the "big Catena?"

            --- In lxx@yahoogroups. com, Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@ ...> wrote:

            > In a hope to return this group to its proper focus, I have recently
            tranlated the following text from the Apostoliki Diakonia text of
            Esaias with alternate readings attached. I would like any textual
            comment if any wish to give it.

            > * Codex Vaticanus and the big Catena in XVI prophetas read: &#65533;the hand&#65533; .

            > Lets get back on track people.
            >
            > Peter A. Papoutsis

            AMEN doesn't need as much textual work or translation as other Hebrew
            words!

            All the best,
            Sigrid Peterson
            petersig@ccat. sas.upenn. edu

          • finckean
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
              Dear Peter,
              At verse 3 MT and 1QIsa-a have "sons" for "pains". At verse 4 IQIsa-
              a adds "in this city" at the end. Also IQIsa-a agrees with LXX in
              making the "remnant" plural, MT has "the remant found" for
              LXX "these remnants". IQIsa-a has "the remnant (sing.) found
              (plural)". From "that you heard" in verse 6 up to the end of verse 7
              is an interlinear insertion in 1QIsa-a. At verses 8 and 9, MT and
              1QIsa-a have: "And Ravsheka returned and found the king of Assyria
              fighting on Livna, because he heard that he travelled from Lachish.
              And he heard about Tharheka, king of Kush, saying, 'He went forth to
              fight with you'. And he heard and sent messengers to Hezekiah
              saying". I don't get your translation of verse 8. LXX has "And he
              captured besieging king Lomanan", which needs exoplanation.
              Andrew Fincke

              ____

              ______

              ______________
              > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

            • finckean
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
                Dear Peter,
                Vaticanus has: "8 And Rapsakis returned and found the King of the
                Assyrians besieging Lobnan. And he heard that he left Lachish. 9 And
                Tharaka, the King of the Ethopians" etc. L (Lucian) has: "8 And
                Rapsakis returned and found the King of the Assyrians besieging
                Lobnan. And he heard that he left Lachish. 9 And the king of the
                Assyrians heard that Tharaka, the King of the Ethopians" etc. After
                that "And he heard and returned and sent" is exactly thus in IQIsa-a,
                but in MT lacks "and returned".
                Andrew Fincke

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
                  I don't follow what you mean my translation of verse 8? There are two readings of verse 8 one is followed by the Apostoliki Diakonia text, the other is found in Codex Vadicanus. I give both renderings. If I have missed something please let me know.

                  ____________ __
                  > http://searchmarket ing.yahoo. com/

                  with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
                • finckean
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
                    Dear Peter,
                    I already answered your question in the next message. I was rushed and
                    didn't read over your work carefully and later reexamined the variants
                    from my edition of Rahlfs. Here's something else. 1QIsa-b frag. 11 has
                    a bit of the text, but it - if my reconstruction is right - is
                    masoretic (= Hebrew) at verse 9: "[ki]ng[ of Ethiopia saying, 'He went
                    forth to fight with you'. And he heard and sent messengers to
                    Hezekiah] saying". What's inside the brackets is reconstructed from
                    lines 1 and 2 of the fragment. After that is a big deletion at the
                    beginning of verse 10: "Thus you will say to Hezekiah, king of Judah,
                    saying". Sukenik's reconstruction (1955) of the fragment is all wet.
                    We're still waiting for a good, workable edition of the photos, which
                    Flint and Ulrich are taking their time on.
                    Andrew Fincke