Re: [lxx] Index of Scriptural Texts of the DSS?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2007
      Dear Anne,
      I'm sorry - of course Accordance has it all and had it first. Also - a
      correction -, The Dead Sea Scrolls Study Edition indices - i.e. Index 2 -
      has the scrolls listed according to name, i.e. (cited p. 1334)
      1Q Ezekiel 1Q9
      3Q Ezekiel 3Q1
      4Q Ezekiel-a 4Q73
      4Q Ezekiel-b 4Q74
      4Q Ezekiel-c 4Q75
      11Q Ezekiel 11Q4
      4Q Ezra 4Q117
      Then to find the listing in the book with information about the verses use
      the numerical name ("4Q74"). I haven't had any problem with abbreviations -
      11QEzek for 11QEzekiel using the index. As said, everything's translated
      there.
      Andrew Fincke

      >From: Arne Halbakken <1stluth@...>
      >To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [lxx] Index of Scriptural Texts of the DSS?
      >Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:59:13 -0500
      >
      >John,
      >
      >If you are interested in an English translation of the biblical texts at
      >Qumran, it is available with Accordance.
      >http://accordancebible.com/modules/details.php?ID=517
      >Accordance is a Macintosh program but it does run on a PC with a free Mac
      >emulator.
      >
      >The sectarian Qumran manuscripts are also available for Accordance.
      >http://accordancebible.com/modules/details.php?ID=228
      >
      >An English translation of the Qumran sectarian manuscripts are available at
      >http://accordancebible.com/modules/details.php?ID=227.
      >
      >An index of Qumran manuscripts is available at
      >http://accordancebible.com/modules/details.php?ID=229.
      >This index includes both biblical and non-biblical manuscripts.
      >
      >Arne Halbakken
      >
      >>Dear John,
      >>There are also the pesharim, the Bible commentaries, where the author
      >>cites a verse and then explains it. But that stuff is very esoteric,
      >>and it's not included in the Dead Sea Bible anyway. The best bet is
      >>to learn Hebrew, then if you want to know what Qumran has to a verse
      >>do Hebrew word searches in Abegg's concordance. The material is also
      >>searchable at BibleWorks and Libronix through the add-on Abegg
      >>Sectarian manuscripts module (about $80). There it is
      >>morphologically tagged, but I don't think it's translated into
      >>English.
      >>Andrew Fincke
      >>
      >>--- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, "andrew fincke" <finckea@...> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> Dear John,
      >>> I don't recommend the book, and I don't know what you mean
      >>by "humor to
      >>> Rebecca". I gave her the texts that Pat and Jim suggested, she can
      >>do with
      >>> them what she wants.
      >>> 1) They did it before the Samuel editions came out - and they're
      >>still not
      >>> out - so Ulrich's chapter is basically worthless.
      >>> 2) We're still waiting for a good edition of IQIsa-b
      >>> 3) That stuff is not for the Hebrew illiterate. Even a scroll like
      >>IQIsa-a,
      >>> that is complete, only makes sense to someone with his head in the
      >>language.
      >>> I was at Gordon-Conwell Seminary for a conference and read an
      >>article by
      >>> the retired president Kaiser, in which he said approximately: "The
      >>Qumran
      >>> scrolls proove the accuracy of our delivered Bible - take 1QIsa-a,
      >>for
      >>> instance, it's exactly the same". He's right in general but wrong
      >>in
      >>> specifics. 1QIsa-a is massively underrepresented in the NIV.
      >>There should
      >>> be 5 notes on every page giving variant readings from the scroll.
> [...]

      Hotmail to go? Get your Hotmail, news, sports and much more!
      http://mobile.msn.com