Re: [lxx] Re: Isaiah 20.3 variant

    Message 1 of 29 , May 18, 2007
      Dear Bill,
      Of course I erred at Iaiah 33:11. It's "A fire will eat you" not "you will
      eat fire". LXX with iskus "strong" apparently meant 'ish kush "an Ethiopian
      man". However, Targum is different - there is a midrash ending "my words
      will destroy you as a whirlwind (does) with chaff". Must have been fun back
      then, Bob, entering this stuff into the CATS database!
      Andrew Fincke

      >From: "Bill Ross" <BillRoss@...>
      >To: <lxx@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [lxx] Re: Isaiah 20.3 variant
      >Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 20:08:40 -0500
      >
      >Would it be inappropriate for me to say "Kudos" to you guys? You are the
      >most focused list on the net!
      >
      >Bill Ross

      Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You�ll love Windows Live
      Hotmail.
      http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507
      Message 2 of 29 , May 18, 2007
        Yes, the translation of Isaiah is quite unusual, even among the heterogeneous collection of
        LXX/OG materials. There is a strong tendency to transliterate -- SABAWQ is the best and most
        frequent example, but there are several others (search for "{t}" in the CATSS Parallel Text
        materials -- although everything is not marked yet, especially after ch. 40 --
        http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/parallel/40.Isaiah.par ).

        As has often been pointed out, the translator or translators also resorted to the DOC- (doks-)
        root for difficult passages. Do a search for "DOC" and you will quickly see the variety.

        It was also a tendency of "Aquila" (or that "school") to find Greek equivalents that had
        similar sounds to the Hebrew being rendered. Possibly hermeneutical moves towards "literalism"
        in some parts of Judaism from early times were already at work in the translation of Isaiah. In
        any event, the ISXUS of 33.11 might indeed be the product of some of these tendencies. The
        Greek variant UBRIS ("Antiochene/Lucianic" witnesses) is an interesting attempt to make better
        sense of the passage, as are the efforts of "Aquila, and Theodotion," who engage birth imagery
        (presumably refelcting the Hebrew TLDW).

        So the Greek Isaiah is fascinating, and as far as translation procedures are concerned, out of
        line with most of the other Greek translations of which we know. Wonder who made it, where and
        when?

        Bob Kraft, UPenn

        kraft@...
        Message 3 of 29 , May 19, 2007
          Dear Bob,
          You say "Do a search for "DOC" and you will quickly see the variety". Do
          you have any quick tips for searching? I'm a novice, and the link in your
          message wasn't searchable.
          Andrew Fincke

> [...]
          >back
          > > then, Bob, entering this stuff into the CATS database!
          > > Andrew Fincke
          > >

          > > >From: "Bill Ross" <BillRoss@...>
          > > >To: <lxx@yahoogroups.com>
          > > >Subject: Re: [lxx] Re: Isaiah 20.3 variant
          > > >Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 20:08:40 -0500
          > > >
          > > >Would it be inappropriate for me to say "Kudos" to you guys? You are
          >the
          > > >most focused list on the net!
          > > >
          > > >Bill Ross

          > > Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You���ll love Windows Live
          > > Hotmail.
          > >
          >http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          >--
          >Robert A. Kraft, Religious Studies, University of Pennsylvania
          >227 Logan Hall (Philadelphia PA 19104-6304); tel. 215 898-5827

          Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i�m Initiative now.
          It�s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07
          Message 4 of 29 , May 20, 2007
            I guess that it may depend on one's computer system (I'm in Windows) and
            browser (I use FireFox or Netscape). But for what it's worth, here is the
            procedure I'd use:

            (1) Access the desired file --
            http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/parallel/40.Isaiah.par

            (2) Use the "find" or "search" feature (for me, in FireFox, CONTROL + F
            works, or from the "Edit" menu "Find in this page"; in Netscape similarly
            -- also specify "match case" and put DOC in caps)

            (3) This should find the occurrence in Isa 4.2, and repeating the find
            command will walk you through the file, identifying each occurrence. For
            more efficiency, particular forms (e.g. E)/NDOCOS ) can be located through
            the same procedures.

            (4) Interpreting the Hebrew column on the left may sometimes be a
            challenge if there is not obvious and direct correlation. Emanuel Tov and
            his students prepared the ParTxt files, and included conjectural
            retroversions (noted in parentheses) and other features as seemed
            appropriate to them. An updated version of these materials has been
            prepared by Frank Polak, in consultation with Emanuel Tov, but has not yet
            been loaded onto the CATSS site.

            Bob Kraft, UPenn and CATSS

            Message 5 of 29 , May 20, 2007
              Thanks. CONTROL+F works for me.
              Andrew Fincke

> [...]
              > > >
              > > >Bob Kraft, UPenn

              >"you
              > > >will
              > > >Ethiopian
              > > >words
              >fun
              > > >back

              >are
              > > >the

              >Live
              > > > >

              > >http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507

              > > >--
              > > >Robert A. Kraft, Religious Studies, University of Pennsylvania
              > > >227 Logan Hall (Philadelphia PA 19104-6304); tel. 215 898-5827
              > > >kraft@...
              > > >http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/kraft.html

              >--
              >Robert A. Kraft, Religious Studies, University of Pennsylvania
              >227 Logan Hall (Philadelphia PA 19104-6304); tel. 215 898-5827

              More photos, more messages, more storage�get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
              Message 6 of 29 , May 21, 2007
                But, Bob, why don't you just use BibleWorks?
                Andrew Fincke

                Message 7 of 29 , May 21, 2007
                  Interesting question. Perhaps if I were doing the sorts of research it supports, I might. But
                  with these two observations:
                  (1) For the casual user (which would be me, and perhaps others on this list?), it is costly;
                  (2) It uses CATSS/CCAT materials which I have ready to hand, and which for other interested
                  users are freely available.

                  Thus I point people to the CATSS/CCAT materials for simple problems such as the Isaiah issues
                  we were discussing. Presumably users of BibleWorks or similar programs (Accordance, Logos,
                  etc.) can get at the same data in their own way, and people who do not have such packages
                  readily available can do simple checking in the CATSS/CCAT files, which are used by the
                  aforementioned programs.

                  Bob

                  kraft@...
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 22, 2007
                    Did I read correctly? The father of the computerized Septuagint, whose one
                    volume Hatch-Redpath revolutionized Septuagint studies, the Doktorvater of
                    Theodore Bergren, is a "casual user"?. The man who made a fortune off the
                    Septuagint can't afford BibleWorks? Is it true what they say? He spent all
                    his time at the Palestra, and the graduate students did it all? Stop the
                    press on the Festschrift!
                    Andrew Fincke

                    >From: Robert Kraft <kraft@...>
                    >To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [lxx] BibleWorks [was Isaiah 20.3 variant]
                    >Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 00:31:04 -0400 (EDT)
                    >
                    >Interesting question. Perhaps if I were doing the sorts of research it
                    >supports, I might. But
                    >with these two observations:
                    >(1) For the casual user (which would be me, and perhaps others on this
                    >list?), it is costly;
                    >(2) It uses CATSS/CCAT materials which I have ready to hand, and which for
                    >other interested
                    >users are freely available.
                    >
                    >Thus I point people to the CATSS/CCAT materials for simple problems such as
                    >the Isaiah issues
                    >we were discussing. Presumably users of BibleWorks or similar programs
                    >(Accordance, Logos,
                    >etc.) can get at the same data in their own way, and people who do not have
                    >such packages
                    >readily available can do simple checking in the CATSS/CCAT files, which are
                    >used by the
                    >aforementioned programs.
                    >
                    >Bob
                    >

                    > > But, Bob, why don't you just use BibleWorks?
                    > > Andrew Fincke
                    > >

                    > > >From: "Bill Ross" <BillRoss@...>
                    > > >To: <lxx@yahoogroups.com>
                    > > >Subject: Re: [lxx] Re: Isaiah 20.3 variant
                    > > >Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 20:08:40 -0500
                    > > >
                    > > >Would it be inappropriate for me to say "Kudos" to you guys? You are
                    >the
                    > > >most focused list on the net!
                    > > >
                    > > >Bill Ross

                    >--
                    >Robert A. Kraft, Religious Studies, University of Pennsylvania
                    >227 Logan Hall (Philadelphia PA 19104-6304); tel. 215 898-5827
                    >kraft@...
                    >http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/kraft.html

                    Catch suspicious messages before you open them�with Windows Live Hotmail.
                    http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 22, 2007
                      Ah, the paradoxicality of it all! I didn't mean to imply that I couldn't afford BibleWorks; I
                      probably have a gratis copy of it on hand in any event (part of the contract!). But yes, for
                      what it does I'd be a "casual user" since my main LXX/OG research is on manuscript variants,
                      and those materials are not yet fully ready for the "secondary distributors" to incorporate
                      into their packages (they could start with Genesis, Deuteronomy, Psalms, and Minor Prophets,
                      but so far have not chosen to do so). Otherwise, my main research focus these days is the
                      papyri collections at UPenn.

                      I've been to the Palestra once or twice in my 44 years at UPenn. Nowadays I spend my "spare"
                      time at grandkids sporting events, and at our place in Ocean City NJ.

                      Hooray for the grad students and their contributions! Unfortunately, it was easier to involve
                      them in "slave labor" in the old days, before the University in its wisdom required that all
                      grad students admitted to the program would have to be fully funded, which restricted them to
                      summers for such project work. The "fortune" made from LXX/OG stuff goes entirely to pay them
                      and/or to improve the data in other ways. I don't have time for a yacht.

                      There have been two Festschrift-type presentations: the first involving digital images and
                      descriptions of one of the UPenn papyri collections, the second an actual book, and a genuine
                      surprise. It is enough, unless a bunch of you want to get together to help finish the LXX/OG
                      variants project, which I hope to see completed before I expire.

                      So carry on reassured, Andrew. Your convincing conjectures and emendations can have a place in
                      the expandable digital variants files, and the financial rewards they generate will serve to
                      keep the ball rolling for future generations of serious users!

                      Bob (with a broad, but serious, grin)

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 22, 2007
                        Yeh, I'm trying to get them (Rick Gross at BW) to put the Lucianic text of
                        Samuel-Kings-Chronicles that Taylor then and Fernandez Marcos now are
                        hashing out, into the program. I think the latter almost has a concordance
                        done. But you're better informed than I. I suggested it in a BibleWorks
                        forum but didn't get any bites. First things first, and for us that means
                        the Peshitta OT, whose timing is in the hands of Leiden. Can the Fernandez
                        Marcos-Busto Saiz editions of Antiochan Kings, Chronicles, Samuel be scanned
                        in to a database? Of course then you'd have to morph them.
                        Andrew Fincke

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 22, 2007
                          You can access an early version of Bernard Taylor's encoding of 1-2 Samuel (1-2 Reigns) --
                          Antiochian text only -- on the CATSS site:

                          http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/2Historical/09-1Sam-Kgs.html
                          http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/2Historical/10-2Sam-Kgs.html

                          Virginia Wayland is working on 1-2 Kings (3-4 Reigns), all published variants -- chapter by
                          chapter (we still need to put the files together for easier searching):

                          http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/2Historical/11-1Kings01.html
                          [etc.]

                          The Samuel-Kings material is a textual quagmire, so having it available in a format that can be
                          manipulated in various ways (e.g. recreating a specific MS, or searching for tendencies within
                          the preserved witnesses) should prove productive in various ways, as it gets used.

                          Bob Kraft, UPenn and CATSS

                          Message 12 of 29 , May 23, 2007
                            That's not an "Antiochian text only" but rather a Brooke-McLean text with
                            the variants added. Fernandez Marcos - as I understand it - starts and ends
                            with Antiochan. So that in BibleWorks I - not you since you never opened
                            the package - could have Vaticanus on top of Lucianic for comaparison, were
                            the Fernandez Marcos books encoded.
                            Andrew Fincke

                            Live Hotmail.
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 23, 2007
                              Correct. I meant that Bernard Taylor had encoded only the supposed Antiochian variants
                              (boc2e2), against the base text of B (Vaticanus) as presented in Brooke-McLean. Sorry for any
                              disclarity. This sounds like what you envision, although I suspect that Fernandez Marcos has
                              gone beyond merely the preserved variants to produce his text. But I don't know. I'm only
                              lurking.

                              Bob Kraft, UPenn and CATSS

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 23, 2007
                                Now you've lost me. If Taylor has a text of Lucianic 1 Samuel - see his The
                                Lucianic Manuscripts of 1 Reigns, 1992 - then why doesn't he give it over to
                                BibleWorks for inclusion with their multitudinous Bible translations? Or is
                                it the fault of BibleWorks - Lucianic too specialized, not complete Bible,
                                etc.? But then why is Natalio hiring a team and investing twenty years in
                                getting the Antiochan text in print plus concordance? Somewhere the
                                communication has broken down.
                                Andrew Fincke