OT - Johannine coma in Eastern Orthodox NT

  • Will Pratt
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 10, 2001
      This is a bit off topic, but I know that we have a high density of Eastern
      Orthodox communicants on this list. Does the Greek New Testament text used
      by the E Orthodox church contain the so-called Johannine Coma, that is, does
      1 John 5:7 read "oti treiv eisin oi marturountev", or does it include the
      additional text "en tw ouranw o pathr o logov kai to agion pneuma kai outoi
      oi treiv en eisin"?

      Thanks

      Will

      --
      William L. Pratt, Ph.D., Curator of Invertebrates, Barrick Museum
      Mail Stop 4012, Univ. Nevada, Las Vegas 89154-4012
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 10, 2001
        To Will Pratt: Yes, Will, the Orthodox NT does include the additional text in I
        John 5:7 beginning with "en tw ouranw..."

        Bill R.

      • spuluka@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 12, 2001
          Dear Will,

          While the Byzantine text form does contain the Johannine comma text, you may
          be interested to know that we do not have this reading in our lectionary.
          This is a notable hole in a lectionary that covers the vast majority of the
          New Testament every year.

          We read sections from 1 John, all of 2 and 3 during the prepartion period
          for the Great Fast. But 1 John 5:7 is not among the readings. No pericope
          from Revelation is part of the lectionary as well.

          Steve Puluka
          Cantor Holy Ghost Church
          Mckees Rocks PA

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 12, 2001

            Steve,

            That is very interesting. As I expect you know, no ms of the
            Alexandrian text form includes the comma, and no Byzantine ms earlier
            than the 12th century,a nd only 6 (or maybe 8) total. Only three mss
            contain the comma in the text rather than margin, and those are all
            16th century, written after Erasmus' firat editon of the so-called
            Textus Receptus was publisehd without it. (This is a fact which
            KJV-only, TR advocates find unpalatable.) It sounds as if your
            lectionary was written back in the days when the E Orthodox church was
            dependent on the mss.

            Thanks for the information,

            Will

            Will Pratt
            prattw@...
          • Steven Craig Miller
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 13, 2001
              To: Steve Puluka,

              << ... the Byzantine text form does contain the Johannine comma text ... >>

              Is there one official "Byzantine" Greek edition of the Bible for Orthodox
              Christians? Or are there many different Orthodox Greek editions with
              variations on the text? Also, is the LXX the official "Old Testament" for
              Orthodox Christians?

              -Steven Craig Miller
              Alton, Illinois (USA)
              E-mail: stevencraigmiller@...
            • Talmid Ben
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 13, 2001
                >  Also, is the LXX the official "Old Testament" for
                > Orthodox Christians?

                Not for me personally. I think a critical edition, based on the BEST textual
                witness of all the texts, from the DSS, to the LXX to the MT, should be
                considered, and a critical edition be rendered from the best TEXTUAL witness
                available, and even so, the variance in many textual traditions, especially in
                the 2nd Temple era, leads one to conclude that there can really be no
                "official" text, but we must take all of the info into consideration, etc.
                -
                TalmidBenjamin
                webservant
                http://www.MessianicArt.com/

                Troubled by an "Anti-Missionary"? CHAZAK! (Be Strong!)
                Chazak, Counter-Anti-Missionary Organization
                http://www.MessianicArt.com/chazak.htm
                or
                http://www.chazak.org/

              • St. Tikhon's Sem Libr
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 15, 2001
                  We checked a number of Church Slavonic and Russian Bibles in our
                  library printed from the 1870s on and found that they all have the
                  Johannine comma.

                  But a Pochaev edition issued in 1785 does not have the comma.

                  As for Greek Bibles from Greece that are printed with the sanction of
                  the Church of Greece, I have seen one 20th cent. Greek edition from
                  Greece that has the comma, and another one that has it, but in italics.

                  Juvenaly, Asst. Librarian
                  St. Patriarch Tikhon Library
                  St. Tikhon's Orthodox Theological Seminary
                  Box 130 / St Tikhon's Road / So Canaan PA 18459-0130 USA
                  570-937-3209, "-3103, or "-4411 ext 21
                  fax 570-937-3209; if no answer 570-937-3100
                  http://www.stots.edu/library.html
                  library@...
                • Kevin Holsapple
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 15, 2001
                    Can anyone on this list recommend a University or Seminary where LXX
                    studies are a specialty, or at least an important part of the curriculum?

                    Kevin Holsapple
                    Click here for Free Video!!
                    http://www.gohip.com/free_video/
                  • spuluka@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 15, 2001
                      >From: Steven Craig Miller <stevencraigmiller@...>
                      >
                      >Is there one official "Byzantine" Greek edition of the Bible for Orthodox
                      >Christians? Or are there many different Orthodox
                      >Greek editions with variations on the text? Also, is the LXX the official
                      >"Old Testament" for Orthodox Christians?

                      There is no central ruling authority for such matters in the Christian East.
                      Basically, each self-governing Orthodox jurisdiction does as they see best
                      for their own Church. But many of the independant Orthodox jurisdictions
                      are dependant on the Greek Orthodox community for our texts, both liturgical
                      and Biblical. When those of us from Slavic countries translate scripture or
                      liturgy we must choose to use either the Church Slavonic or the Greek as the
                      language to come into our native language (English in my case.) Our
                      liturgical commission translates from the Greek with reference to the
                      Slavonic. If there is more than one way to interpret the Greek text we
                      follow the way that the Church Slavonic translated the text. There are some
                      occasions when the Church Slavonic differs from the Greek. In those cases
                      they make a case by case determination on which to follow.

                      My comments in my first post reflect the outcome of a brief look at the
                      Johannine coma issue by myself, a seminarian and seminary professor, not an
                      in-depth research of the issue. After seeing Will's follow-up post over the
                      weekend I dug around my parish library and cantors stand and can see that
                      the issue is far from clear.

                      In contrast to Bill Rodgers experience, we have a Slovak 17th century bible
                      translation that does not include the text. Bill, what New Testement
                      translation do you have with the text?

                      And in contrast to myself, we have a 1950's English lectionary that does
                      have the text. I was not able to lay my hands on a Church Slavonic
                      Lectionary to confirm our original observation. I'll try to do that at our
                      Seminary library.

                      In short, if the question is do the Orthodox Churches accept the Johannine
                      comma text as part of scripture, the answer may have to be on a case by case
                      basis.

                      As far as the Septuagint text is concerned, there was a synod of Bishops in
                      Jerusalem in 1672 that offcially accepted the Septuagint Old Testament over
                      the Hebrew. Before the Reformation there was never any question in
                      Orthodoxy on the issue. After the Reformation the Patriach of
                      Constantinople fell into heresy (from the perspective of the Orthodox
                      Church) in accepting many of the premises of Protestant reformation
                      theology. One of those was Hebrew as the Old Testament version. The Synod
                      spoke against that Patriarchal announcement. But Orthodoxy was not then,
                      and is not now, very concerned with text critical matters in this regard.
                      In fact, you will find a fair degree of variance among Orthodox
                      jurisdictions as to the content of the Old Testament canon, much less the
                      text critical aspect of that content.

                      I am not aware of ANY real text critical scholars from the Orthodox world.
                      If we approach the question at all it is usually in the form of an
                      apologetic to defend the received text against what we see as critical
                      excesses. A telling example of this is the LXX.org project to adjust the
                      NKJV translation to the readings of the Septuagint. There was a serious
                      argument made in the Orthodox publication, St. Vladimirs Theological
                      Quarterly, that one should not be translating Old Testament without ANY
                      reference to the Hebrew. It seems that the translators of LXX.org do not
                      have any Hebrew language ability and are not making any reference to the
                      Hebrew version of scripture in working on their adjustment translation. The
                      counter argument is that Greek is the liturgical and scriptural language of
                      the Church and the Hebrew version is irrelevant to the translation.
                    • Tyler F. Williams
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 15, 2001
                        As far as Canada is concerned, Toronto used to be one of the best (IMHO!), but with
                        recent retirements, etc., it really doesn't offer much anymore.

                        Trinity Western University, Langley, Canada, is toying with starting some sort of LXX
                        program. It would only be undergrad and perhaps a MA. (TWU has a couple good LXX
                        scholars, Rob Hiebert and Peter Flint).

                        -Tyler
                        Tyler F. Williams
                        Assistant Professor of Old Testament/Hebrew Bible, NABC/EBS
                        11525 - 23 Avenue, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6J 4T3
                        Phone: (780) 431-5217/ Toll Free: 1-800-567-4988/ Fax: (780) 436-9416
                        Web Page: http://www.nabcebs.ab.ca/~twilliam

                      • petersig@ccat.sas.upenn.edu
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 16, 2001
                          For Kevin Holsapple (and others on the LXX list):

                          It is possible to study LXX/OG on a graduate level at the University of
                          Pennsylvania, in the Department of Asian and Middle Eastern Languages,
                          with Jeffrey Tigay, or in Religious Studies, with Robert Kraft.

                          Robert Kraft typically has at least two or three students doing something
                          related to the LXX/OG. Jeff Tigay (JPS Deuteronomy Commentary) has
                          supervised a dissertation that concentrated on LXX. Several of the
                          Septuagint and Cognate Studies Series books originated here. Religious
                          Studies and Classics share a large graduate student lounge between them, a
                          library with Greek materials for reference, and a computer lab with
                          computerized Greek tools available. We have several working Ibycus
                          machines.

                          The following are web addresses for each:

                          Jeffrey Tigay http://www.sas.upenn.edu/ames/
                          Bob Kraft http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/kraft.html

                          Whether this is the place to study basic LXX Greek in the classroom is
                          another question. If that's an issue, let me know.

                          Sigrid Peterson