Chronological Order of the lxx

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2007
       Dear lxx group
          I am going to be sending out the lxx this year over e-mail to some friends, so as to get through it in a year, I would like to know if there is a table with the lxx in chronological order? If anyone can direct me too a site I would be very grateful, I did a search and couldn't find one on the lxx although I did find one on the 66 books of the Bible. :-?

      In his Word
      Sean
    • Bill Ross
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20, 2007
        The order of the LXX is the same as the Catholic/Protestant Bibles, which is different from the Massoretic, which is the order used in Jewish Bibles.

        Bill Ross

            I am going to be sending out the lxx this year over e-mail to some friends, so as to get through it in a year, I would like to know if there is a table with the lxx in chronological order? If anyone can direct me too a site I would be very grateful, I did a search and couldn't find one on the lxx although I did find one on the 66 books of the Bible. :-?

        In his Word
        Sean
      • Sean Rhoades
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 20, 2007
          Hi Bill
              I am looking for something more like the following list but with the other books that we find in the Greek Septuagint added, I suppose I could guess where they go but I am sure there must be one out there:
          Chronological Order of Old Testament
          Genesis 1 - 22
          Job
          Genesis 23 - 50
          Exodus
          Psalm 90
          Leviticus
          Numbers
          Deuteronomy
          Psalm 91
          Joshua
          Judges
          Ruth
          I Samuel 1 - 16:13
          Psalm 23
          I Samuel 16:14 - 19:11
          Psalm 59
          I Samuel 19:12 - 21:15
          Psalms 34, 56
          I Samuel 22:1, 2
          Psalms 57, 142
          I Samuel 22:3-23
          Psalm 52
          I Samuel 23
          Psalms 54, 63
          I Samuel 24 - 31
          II Samuel 1 - 7
          Psalm 30
          II Samuel 8:1-14
          Psalm 60
          II Samuel 8:15 - 12:14
          Psalms 51, 32
          II Samuel 12:15 - 15:37
          Psalms 3, 69
          II Samuel 16 - 20
          Psalms 64, 70
          II Samuel 21, 22
          Psalm 18
          II Samuel 23, 24
          Psalms 4 - 9, 11 - 17, 19 - 22, 24 - 29, 31, 35 - 41, 53, 55, 58, 61, 62,
          Psalms 65, 68, 72, 86, 101, 103, 108 - 110, 138 - 141, 143 - 145
          I Kings 1 - 4
          Proverbs
          Song of Solomon
          I Kings 5 - 11
          Ecclesiastes
          I Kings 12 - 22
          II Kings 1 - 14:25
          Jonah
          II Kings 14:26-29
          Amos
          II Kings 15 - 25
          Psalms 1, 2, 10, 33, 43, 66, 67, 71, 89, 92 - 100,
          Psalms 102, 104 - 106, 111 - 125, 127 - 136, 146 - 150
          I Chronicles 1 - 16
          Psalms 42, 44 - 50, 73 - 85, 87, 88
          I Chronicles 17 - 29
          II Chronicles 1 - 21
          Obadiah
          II Chronicles 22
          Joel
          II Chronicles 23 - 26:8
          Isaiah 1 - 5
          II Chronicles 26:9 - 23
          Isaiah 6
          II Chronicles 27 - 32
          Isaiah 7 - 66
          Hosea
          Micah
          Nahum
          II Chronicles 33, 34
          Zephaniah
          II Chronicles 35
          Habakkuk
          Jeremiah 1 - 6, 11, 12, 26, 7 - 10, 14 - 20, 35, 36, 45, 25, 46 - 49,
          Jeremiah 13, 22 - 24, 27 - 29, 50, 51, 30 - 33, 21, 34, 37 - 39, 52, 40 - 44
          Lamentations
          II Chronicles 36:1 - 8
          Daniel
          II Chronicles 36:9 - 21
          Psalm 137
          Ezekiel
          II Chronicles 36:22, 23
          Ezra 1 - 5:1
          Haggai
          Zechariah
          Psalms 107, 126
          Ezra 5:2 - 6:22
          Esther
          Ezra 7 - 10
          Nehemiah
          Malachi

           Chronological Order of New Testament

          Matthew
          Mark
          Luke
          John
          Acts 1 - 14
          James
          Acts 15
          Galatians
          Acts 16
          Philippians
          Acts 17:1 - 10
          I Thessalonians
          II Thessalonians
          Acts 17:11 - 18:11
          I Corinthians
          II Corinthians
          Acts 18:12 - 20:1
          Ephesians
          Romans
          Acts 20:2 - 28:30
          Colossians
          Hebrews
          Titus
          Philemon
          I Timothy
          II Timothy
          I Peter
          II Peter
          I John
          II John
          III John
          Jude
          The Revelation

          Joh 8:31-32 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

          Home Page

          Listen To The Word Free

          For Those Who Do Not Truly Believe In The Word Of God

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 20, 2007
            Re: [lxx] Chronological Order of the lxx Dear Sean,

            From a scholar’s perspective, this list is interesting but bizarre.  For instance, no one could agree about the “era” of Job in antiquity—it could go somewhat later than it’s here, say after Numbers.  Also, why does it have the Gospels in the MMLJ order, when if you take the ascriptions literally, John was of an earlier generation than Luke and Mark?  It seems the NT is less ordered than the OT.  I’ll leave out the fact that scholars typically want to list books in the order of their composition, not the order of the periods that the books depict or that they claim to have been composed—but I guess that’s exactly what makes this ordered list interesting.

            In any event, what you want is to stick in the books of the Septuagint in the order below.  I took this as a bit of a challenge—anyway, maybe some readers want to refine what I’ve started?

            Jed Wyrick
            Dept. of Religious Studies
            California State University, Chico

            1. Wisdom of Solomon (during Solomon’s life—it might therefore have been considered sometime prior to the work of his old age, Ecclesiastes)
            2. Letter of Jeremiah (immediately after book of Jeremiah and I guess after Lamentations)
            3. Barukh (after Letter of Jeremiah and Book of Jeremiah both)
            4. Prayer of Azariah (between Dan. 3:23 and 3:24 )
            5. Susanna (goes just after Daniel 12, the end of Daniel)
            6. Bel and the Dragon (just after Susanna)
            7. Tobit (Ninevah after end of Northern Kingdom in 722; Tobit depicts itself as written in the Babylonian Exile, so I’d put it after Daniel, but Ninevah was destroyed in 612 BCE, so events described are earlier)
            8. Judith (set after end of Babylonian Captivity, usually 538 BCE but before death of Nebuchadnezzar in 562 BCE; so insert maybe after Tobit)
            9. Additions to Esther (insert in appropriate places in Esther 10-16)
            10. 1 Ezra (= 1 Esdras [English Bible] or III Esdras in the Vulgate) (a history that covers Josiah’s Passover in 622 BCE up to Ezra’s reading of the law in Neh. 8:12—so it goes after Nehemiah I guess, unless you break it up)

            The following would be at the very end of the OT:

            11. Sirach (Ecclesiasticus) (deals with the period up to ca. 200 BCE)
            12. 1 Maccabees (covers period 175- 135/4 BCE)
            13. 2 Maccabees (covers period 171-161 BCE)

            You could do 1 and 2 Macc. like this:  (I think this would work for your purposes, but it’s just my first try)
            1 Macc 1-2
            2 Macc. 1-4:6
            1 Macc 3-6:16
            2 Macc 4:7-10:9
            1 Macc 6:17-7:50
            2 Macc 10:10-15:39
            1 Macc. 8-16

            From: Sean Rhoades <rhoadess@...>
            Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:18:40 -0700 (PDT)
            To: <lxx@yahoogroups.com>

            Home Page <http://www.unravelingtheword.info/HomePage/>

            Listen To The Word Free <http://www.mp3bibleplayer.org/>

            For Those Who Do Not Truly Believe In The Word Of God <http://www.unravelingtheword.info/HomePage/images/hell2.jpg>

            www.bibleshockers. com <http://www.bibleshockers.com>

                I am going to be sending out    the lxx this year over e-mail to some friends, so as to get through it in a    year, I would like to know if there is a table with the lxx in chronological    order? If anyone can direct me too a site I would be very grateful, I did a    search and couldn't find one on the lxx although I did find one on the 66    books of the Bible.

            In his Word
            Sean

            It's here! Your new message!
            Get  new email alerts <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>  with the free Yahoo! Toolbar. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>

          • Kevin P. Edgecomb
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 20, 2007
              One correction would be that the book of Susanna depicts Daniel as a young man, while Bel and the Dragon do follow the book of Daniel.  Susanna was anciently prefixed to the book of Daniel to reflect this.  Though if you wanted to have it in a "chronological" position, I suppose it would need to be inserted in some early spot in Daniel, once he was already depicted as having become a captive in Babylon.

              It's an interesting arrangement, this idea of "chronological order," that I've not encountered before.  It's kind of fun.

              Regards,
              Kevin P. Edgecomb
              Berkeley, California

              <lxx@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              Dear Sean,

              From a scholar’s perspective, this list is interesting but bizarre.  For instance, no one could agree about the “era” of Job in antiquity—it could go somewhat later than it’s here, say after Numbers.  Also, why does it have the Gospels in the MMLJ order, when if you take the ascriptions literally, John was of an earlier generation than Luke and Mark?  It seems the NT is less ordered than the OT.  I’ll leave out the fact that scholars typically want to list books in the order of their composition, not the order of the periods that the books depict or that they claim to have been composed—but I guess that’s exactly what makes this ordered list interesting.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 20, 2007
                Thank you very much Jed
                    I didn't realize this had to be worked out, I assumed it had been done before, and was a matter of knowing where to find. I will incorporate your chronological list and any corrections that pop up, into my list. I sent out the chronological 66 books last year (its about to end and start again in a few more weeks, we are in Hebrews now) and I tried to squeeze some of the Apocrypha books in, but I just wasn't sure exactly where to put them. For example I guessed that the Wisdom of Solomon was at the start of his kingship when he was still right with God, before his wives got to him. I think sending out the Bible in this way made it much easier, and more fun for first time readers to follow. I remember the confusion I had my first time through, just reading it from cover to cover. I really don't know why the list has MMLJ in that order, I know that there are events in some of the Gospels that are not found in the others, and so one could figure out, or try to figure out, when these events happened and dovetail them into a chronological order. So for repeat events in all four of the Gospels one could just list them all at the same time until unique events occur in one of the four and squeeze it in the list at the right place.

[...]

                Looking for earth-friendly autos?
              • Sigrid Peterson
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007
                  I'm responding to your thought that it had been done before. One scholar who has
                  published a chronology of the Hebrew Bible in English was Samuel Sandmel, 45 or so
                  years ago. His chronology can be found in <i>Hebrew Scriptures: An Introduction to
                  Their Literature and Religious Ideas</i>, which is still in print, on Amazon. You
                  can read the chronological order of the books originally in Hebrew in the Amazon
                  feature "Search Inside this Book." It starts out

                  Amos
                  Hosea
                  Isaiah (First Isaiah)
                  Micah
                  Zephaniah
                  Nahum
                  Habakkuk
                  Jeremiah
                  Ezekiel
                  Second Isaiah

                  and so forth. Along with his chronology, and the reasons for it, the chapters
                  provide a sort of vade mecum about each of the books. Esther comes last.

                  This is a chronological order, rather than a canonical order, so it is neither
                  Jewish nor Christian, other than applying only to the Hebrew books--except for
                  Sirach, which collates with the Greek books.

                  Sigrid Peterson petersig@...

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007
                    While I've been dating since I was a teenager, it is ultimately a quixotic pursuit to date the scrolls with any kind of consensus.

                    Also, a chronology of what is covered in the books is a different matter from when they were written. For example, you deduce that Wisdom of Solomon dates to the youth of Solomon, but...

                    * Solomon is probably an entirely fictional character
                    * Wisdom of Solomon, like Song of Solomon, is a forgery that was not written until the first century CE in Alexandria, Egypt in Greek

                    You can aspire to make a chronology but don't expect any two scholars to agree on it, and you will want to carefully consider the manuscript evidence and the practice of pseudography before making decisions on dating wholly on the English versions.

                    Also, where would you place "Isaiah" since the book is clearly at least two books, from two periods more than a lifetime apart?

                    Bill Ross