Re: [lxx] another question

  • philippe guillaume
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 14, 2007
      On evidence of the use of Greek in Galilee:

      Knauf, Ernst Axel: Writing and speaking in Galilee. In:  Alkier, Stefan
      and Zangenberg, Jürgen (Hg.), Zeichen aus Text und Stein. Studien auf dem Weg
      zu einer Archäologie des Neuen Testaments. (Texte und Arbeiten zum
      neutestamentlichen Zeitalter 42). Tübingen: Francke 2003, 336 - 350.

      --
      Dr Philippe Guillaume
      Stelserstrasse 478A
      Message 45 of 45 , May 4, 2007

        Interesting. I received this message, but not the earlier two. Wonder why?

        In any event, the last part of Andrew's quote from Philo should read "the word 'Hebrew' is
        translated [or means, in Greek] 'one who passes by' (peraths)." This is but one of scores of
        passages in which Philo translates Hebrew terms for his readers. For more, see L. Grabbe,
        Etymology in Early Jewish Interpretation: the Hebrew Names in Philo, Brown Judaic Series 115
        (Atlanta: Scholars Press 1988).

        Bob Kraft, UPenn

        kraft@.... upenn.edu
        http://ccat. sas.upenn. edu/rs/rak/ kraft.html