22 books doesn't exclusively imply the Hebrew canon

  • Mitrophan Chin
    Message 1 of 75 , Jan 11, 2007
      Actually I would observed that 22-book canon is more to equate with the number of
      letters in the Hebrew alphabet and doesn't explicitly dictate what the actual list of
      books are. (see http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214.xvii.xxii.html

      Some, especially Jews and Protestants,  use 22 to mean the Hebrew canon and others, such as the patristics Fathers use 22 to mean the Greek canon. To make the Greek canon number out to 22 books,
      traditionally, the first two books of Kings are counted as one book, the latter two books of Kings are counted as one book, the two books of Chronicles as one book, and so forth. See St Athanasius' enumeration at
      http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf204.xxv.iii.iii.xxv.html

      -Mitrophan

       The NT is a primary evidence. As is the clear
      statement by Jospephus that all the Jewish groups agreed on the 22-book
      canon, which appears in context to equate to the Hebrew Bible canon today.

      Shalom,
      Steven Avery

    • fivefree@aol.com
      Message 75 of 75 , Jan 18, 2007
        In a message dated 1/13/2007 12:31:34 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, BillRoss@... writes:

        I am decidedly not a Marxist but I should think that you would agree that historically religion has served the interests of authorities.

        That's what Marx said. Evil uses any convenient argument to do its will. Some have done this. The parable of the wheat and the weeds.

        While 2 Tim is disputed, note that he does not say “what is written in certain books is canon” – rather that they were profitable.

        EVERYTHING is disputed. Yes, he also said it was God breathed. Perhaps part of the statement assumes you know which ones are God breathed and what is not.

        In Corinthians Paul says that the letter kills but the breath gives life. The breath is, in Biblical thought, actually that which imparts life – per the original animation of the man.

        I'm not sure where this comes from. Higher criticism? It is of course referring to the Holy Spirit (Timothy).

         Jesus says “the words that I speak to you – they are  breath and they are life.”

        Paul and the others seemed to have a doctrine of “hearing” and “proclamation” by the witnesses.

        Actually, they worked miracles to confirm the life and mission of Jesus.

        Second Tim may have been written later to allow for Christianity to continue after the death of Paul. If so then it was important to indicate that they were “breathed” out by the god.

        My my. What a dry, lifeless conclusion. You sure sound like a disciple of Marx. A typical Marxist conclusion.

        Bill Ross

        Regards
        ,
        Jack Jackson