Re: [lxx] LXX/OG and early technology

    Message 1 of 75 , Jan 9, 2007
      The link that Bill Ross lists below is an interesting display of information from
      a century ago (pre Dead Sea Scrolls, and prior to a large amount of papyrological
      publication not to mention scholarly study of those materials). It should not be
      used as a guide to the current situation (or current theories), except perhaps
      with reference to the basic materials known already in 1910, to which a great
      deal has been added subsequently.

      Bob

      kraft@...
    • fivefree@aol.com
      Message 75 of 75 , Jan 18, 2007
        In a message dated 1/13/2007 12:31:34 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, BillRoss@... writes:

        I am decidedly not a Marxist but I should think that you would agree that historically religion has served the interests of authorities.

        That's what Marx said. Evil uses any convenient argument to do its will. Some have done this. The parable of the wheat and the weeds.

        While 2 Tim is disputed, note that he does not say “what is written in certain books is canon” – rather that they were profitable.

        EVERYTHING is disputed. Yes, he also said it was God breathed. Perhaps part of the statement assumes you know which ones are God breathed and what is not.

        In Corinthians Paul says that the letter kills but the breath gives life. The breath is, in Biblical thought, actually that which imparts life – per the original animation of the man.

        I'm not sure where this comes from. Higher criticism? It is of course referring to the Holy Spirit (Timothy).

         Jesus says “the words that I speak to you – they are  breath and they are life.”

        Paul and the others seemed to have a doctrine of “hearing” and “proclamation” by the witnesses.

        Actually, they worked miracles to confirm the life and mission of Jesus.

        Second Tim may have been written later to allow for Christianity to continue after the death of Paul. If so then it was important to indicate that they were “breathed” out by the god.

        My my. What a dry, lifeless conclusion. You sure sound like a disciple of Marx. A typical Marxist conclusion.

        Bill Ross

        Regards
        ,
        Jack Jackson