Buying the Septuagint

  • JIM COUSINS
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2000
      Does anyone know where I can purchase the Septuagint?

    • David Hockley
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2000

        **************************************
        David Hockley @ Monte Cristo
        The Management Games Company
        42 rue des Jeuneurs, 75010 Paris
        tel: +33 1 40 39 11 11
        fax: +33 1 40 39 10 00
        hockley@...
        http://www.montecristogames.com/

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2000

          **************************************

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 21, 2000
            Sorry about the two previous messages, I pressed
            'reply' and Outlook send the messages without
            even giving me the chace to write a single word.
            Anyway, what I wanted to say, is that you
            can get the septuagint for free in electronic
            form, with the Online Bible, either at
            or

            There you can find both a greek text and
            and english tranlsation

               David
          • Puluka, Steve
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 2000
              Re: [lxx] Buying the Septuagint For Greek and English parallel columns version:

              Brenton. Septuagint:  Greek and English Old Testament with Apocrypha.
              London. Bagster 1851.
              This has been reprinted by various sources.  This does not contain
              everything from all books but is the most complete available in English.

              The Standard single volume Greek Critical text:

              Rahlfs. Septuaginta. Stuttgart. Wurttemburgische Bibelanstalt, 1935.

              The Complete Greek word Condcordance:

              Hatch & Redpath. Concordance to the Septuagint, second Edition. Grand
              Rapids. Baker, 1998. (originally published 1897)
              This also includes a Hebrew Aramaic reverse index to Greek words.

              Commentary & Introductory Texts:
              Jelllicoe.  The Septuagint and Modern Study.  Oxford, 1968.

              Hengle.  "The Septuagint as a collection of Writings claimed by Christians"
              in Jews and Christians: the parting of the Ways, AD 70-135.  ed. James Dunn.
               Grand Rapids.  Eerdmans, 1999.

              These may be found at many bookstores and libraries.  If you live in the
              United States Inter-library loan is a wonderful way to see all of this for
              free.  Ask your local librarian about it.  Requests for books are fulfilled
              by other libraries and sent right to your local branch.  Many college and
              universities participate and many are even willing to lend reference
              material this way.

              Steve Puluka
              Chair of the Adult Education Committee