Moderator-approved announcement

  • kalvesmaki
    Message 1 of 75 , Jan 5, 2007

      Greetings and happy new year,

      The moderators have approved the following announcement/ad for the list. Remember, and Septuagint-related ads should be sent to the moderators for review before posting.

      mods
      Peter A. Papoutsis, translator of The Holy Orthodox Bible, is introducing a sale on The Holy Orthodox Bible, Vol. IV, The Minor Prophets. When anyone buys HOB Vol. IV., The Minor Prophets, a free copy of the HOB Psalms will be given to them with their Purchase.

      If the HOB Vols I and II are purchased then HOB Vol. IV and the Psalms will be given free of charge. Please note this special offer and sale apply only to the e-books.

      http://www.peterpapoutsis.com/

    • fivefree@aol.com
      Message 75 of 75 , Jan 18, 2007
        In a message dated 1/13/2007 12:31:34 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, BillRoss@... writes:

        I am decidedly not a Marxist but I should think that you would agree that historically religion has served the interests of authorities.

        That's what Marx said. Evil uses any convenient argument to do its will. Some have done this. The parable of the wheat and the weeds.

        While 2 Tim is disputed, note that he does not say “what is written in certain books is canon” – rather that they were profitable.

        EVERYTHING is disputed. Yes, he also said it was God breathed. Perhaps part of the statement assumes you know which ones are God breathed and what is not.

        In Corinthians Paul says that the letter kills but the breath gives life. The breath is, in Biblical thought, actually that which imparts life – per the original animation of the man.

        I'm not sure where this comes from. Higher criticism? It is of course referring to the Holy Spirit (Timothy).

         Jesus says “the words that I speak to you – they are  breath and they are life.”

        Paul and the others seemed to have a doctrine of “hearing” and “proclamation” by the witnesses.

        Actually, they worked miracles to confirm the life and mission of Jesus.

        Second Tim may have been written later to allow for Christianity to continue after the death of Paul. If so then it was important to indicate that they were “breathed” out by the god.

        My my. What a dry, lifeless conclusion. You sure sound like a disciple of Marx. A typical Marxist conclusion.

        Bill Ross

        Regards
        ,
        Jack Jackson