LXX vs the others.

  • Ashley Crane
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2006

      Shalom LXX group,

      I have typically been a ‘sleeper’ here, making only occasional comments. But …a couple of things now bear mentioning.

      Firstly, I share my joy having just submitted my Ph.D to Murdoch University (Western Australia). What a relief!!

      Secondly, in view of recent statements about the LXX being full of errors, a great deal of my thesis was developing and proving what I call a textual comparative methodology. This considers all variants in the various manuscripts and investigates for ‘interpretation’ rather than ‘error’.

      If it can be shown that the scribes correctly interpreted particular word/phrase in other parts of that book (e.g., mine was on Ezekiel 36-39), then there must be reason why they did not interpret similar in the word/phrase under consideration. Typically they can be found to interpret by exegesis or out of theological concern to contemporize the text to their community.

      There are a plethora of examples in Ezek. 36-39 where scholars / commentators put the differences between MT and LXX as ‘scribal error’, yet I have demonstrated ‘interpretation’.   This is not to say that scribes didn’t make errors, as they did.  But they were seeking to correctly translate, and not to make a totally different text.

      Thus this shows support for LXX as a viable source of early Jewish interpretation.

      Thirdly, for those few in here who are unaware of this, there is no such thing as THE LXX; instead we have a collection of Greek manuscripts that have basic agreement, but each having their own variants according to how they translated to their communities AND from their different recensions towards the changing Hebrew text.

      Fourthly, there is a difference between the Old Greek translation and later LXX MSS.  Based on recent points, Papyrus 967 reflects the Old Greek for Daniel and all other following LXX MSS reflect a Theodotion styled text for Daniel.  It is highly likely that the Theodotion styled Greek MSS reflect a recension towards a changed Hebrew text.

      This is also found with P967 Ezekiel.  The difference between P967 Ezek. 36-39 and all other LXX and MT MSS is theological and not scribal error. My findings will be presented in a paper at the SBL Seminar in Washington DC in November (in the Ezekiel sector).  Now I have to get back to finish this!!

      Ashley

      Harvest West Bible College

      Perth, Western Australia.