Detecting the Forms (Aristot.) with help of seeing devices in Matthew 7:17-18??

  • pasi pohjala
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2006
      Dear Researchers,

      In the following I am presenting a possible rendering of the Hebrew Matthew 7:17-18 as a text of Ancient Science, a discussion describing how the Human Mind detects the Forms (in the Aristotelian meaning) with the help of a magnifying device, a crystal ball/glass ball. The Hebrew text is the Shem Tob text Eben Bohan (what a name with regard to the topic now discussed- denoting a stone for making studies and examinations), in the Ed. of George Howard 1995; and I am dividing the consonantal text into words somewhat differently in several places.

      Matthew 7:17
      SKL   YZ(h)   tWB   JYSh   PRJ   tJB
      mind (sekel) that has good insight/counsel (etsa)  will as its results make/notice forms (teb, reading Jod instead of Waw)

      WKLJ   YZ(h)   RWY   JYSh   PRJ    RWY
      and  the vessels (mind as a vessel of insight/counsel, cf. Matt 12:43-45 and Stoic ideas of mind, and my book mentioned below) of  instable  (RWY)  advice  will do instable results

       In these translations, the evaluative TWB is read as TJB, that denotes "form" and "essence".

      Matthew 7:18
      YZh    tJB   LA   JKLL YSSJT-PRJ-RWY
      The counsel of  forms  does not contain a crystal-ball  that produces shaky/instable results

      (reading YSSJT-crystal ball, glass ball instead of laasot, to do, and reading the Lamed with the preceding, producing the KLL)

      YZ(h)  RWY  LA  JKLL  YSSJT-PRJ-tJB
      and instable counsel  does not contain (KLL) a crystal ball/glass ball that produces "forms"/"essences" as its result

      These readings understand the human mind as the place of counsel/advice, and that it uses a kind of magnifying seeing device (Yssjt, a magnifying crystal ball/glass ball) to detect the "forms" or "essence". The use of crystal balls is, as devices for seeing and examinations,  of course, much older that NT writings, and used in the Antiquity. Also the Egyptian magnificent industry of producing vessels of different stone, is well attested, producing vessels of rock crystal, too. Such transparent vessels were, of course, also magnifying devices. For the period of Philo of Alexandria, and beginnings of New Testament, was of importance the invention of glass blowing technique that produces glass vessels of very high quality in large quantities and brought these to the middle class people, too. (And the remarkable interest of Platonic philosophy for the EIKON and appearances is most notable and widespread, too. Obviously, such EIKON were produced in the glass bowls and were noticed as remarkable phenomena. This is the well attested Realia I am referring to as the possible background for some of the discussions. And in this ideology I am placing the reading of the Hebrew Matthew 7:17-18, too, as a possible text of mind detecting the forms/essences of the phenomena with the help of magnifying devices, for example, by finding the specific differences and thus proceeding in the method of Diaresis to detect the Form of a thing better and better. It is for this reason I especially notify here the mention of YSSJT, a magnifying crystal ball as a device for finding the Forms, tJB. Maybe they are here talking of Ancient Science; it is notable that this text is very easily read as a such text!

      Yours,
      Pasi K. Pohjala
      30 Clitterhouse Road
      NW2 1DJ London, GB

      (I am now preparing an article of seeing with help of magnifying devices in the Antiquity, in the Midrashim and in Philonica and LXX translations, Recently I have published: Similarities of Redaction of the Gospel According to Matthew, with Texts of Philo Alexandrinus, isbn=  978-1-84685-032-5).
    • rxg

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 17, 2006
          It has come to the attention of the moderators that posts originating from pasi pohjala concerning the Shem-Tob Hebrew
          text of Matthew are off-topic and thus inappropriate to this list. With this post, the moderators wish to alert posi
          pohjala that he should desist from making further posts on this topic to our forum. This series of threads on the Hebrew
          text of Shem-Tob should be considered closed, and no further such threads should be started. Should anyone wish to
          dialogue with posi pohjala on the proposals he has made in his posts, they are asked to conduct any such dialogue
          off-list. Please respect the wishes of the moderators on this matter and cease starting further threads on this topic or
          responding on-list to those already started. Your cooperation will be appreciated.

          Mods