RE: [lxx] List of Quotations or allusions

  • Kevin P. Edgecomb
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2006
      Hi Jed,
      Yes, the Delamarter index is quite peculiar.  Mine had been up on the web in another straight html version for a year or more before I first saw that his had been printed.  When I first looked into a copy, I couldn't believe it.  I still don't understand why anyone would create such a partial index.  It seems like shooting oneself in the foot to ignore references to precisely the works that are being indexed!

      In any case, you're very welcome.  If you have any suggestions for making it more useful, please let me know, especially if you run into any errors (since I first copied all the references in longhand, and later typed everything up, they managed to slip in even though I was careful).

      Regards,
      Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Berkeley, California
      <lxx@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Hi Kevin,

      I just ordered the Delamarter index, and noticed the other odd thing about it (in contrast to your own free index): it doesn't go in reverse.  You can't look up Pseudepigrapha passages and find biblical citations, like you can in your index (which is consequently twice as long).  I suppose someone might say you could go to the Charlesworth text itself to find those references, but it seems odd that the Delamarter index couldn't spring for the additional material.  The point about Delamarter not including any references to the Apocrypha or Classical authors, or any cross-referencing to other Pseudepigrapha, is quite important.

      Of course, others should keep in mind that these are only the selective references that the individual editors of the works in Charlesworth thought were references worth noting.  These materials refer in various ways to far more biblical verses than are noted in Charlesworth.

      Oh well, could have saved $20.  But, thanks for the extremely useful index in any event!

      Jed Wyrick
      Associate Professor of Religious Studies
      California State University, Chico