Re: [lxx] Biblical Citations in Early Jewish Writers

  • barthome1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2006
      Which brings up the additional topic of the earliest Biblical citations by pagan writers.  I would particularly be interested in those from the NT.

      Bart

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2006
        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Litwak <javajedi2@...> wrote:

        > The NT wriers clearly prefer, on the whole,
        > citations that have a form most like the LXX.
        > What about other early Jewish writers, like Jospehus,
        > Philo or the Pesudepigrapha? Are the biblical
        > citations in those writers most typically like the LXX,
        > the Hebrew text known from the MT, or something distinct?

        This topic is covered in Swete, Part III Chapter I. He even covers
        the even more indirect evidence of Polyhistor. According to Swete, it
        is "none of the above";) Philo follow the LXX pretty closely, treating
        it as authorative, Josephus sometimes does, and sometimes does not.
        Sometimes, Josephus comes up with something resembling no known Greek
        OT translation. Swete describes this in the word "Whilst retaining in
        his own words the story of the Hebrew records" (p378).

        > I realize that I'm mentioning a lot of texts and
        > there may be variation among them. I haven't read a
        > discussion of this anywhere.

        Try the above mentioned Swete ("Introduction to the Old Testament in
        Greek") reference. It is at least a start.

        > I want to be able to look
        > something up in the Greek text of Josephus, for
        > example, but if he doesn't follow the LXX, my search
        > probably won't turn up what I'm after. Thanks.

        And it really is quite possible that it won't turn up what you are
        after. For Josephus made many references that could have been either
        from the LXX or from his own knowledge of the Hebrew. The evidence one
        way or the other is often just not clear.

        The above-mentioned Swete covers Josephus's use of the LXX starting on
        p 376, including explicit quotations and explanations of why they show
        LXX influence.

        You can find Swete online (but in cumbersome image format) at
        http://www.sbible.boom.ru/swete.htm.

        Don't be discouraged by the password prompt, since they give you the
        password in the prompt;)