Exodus fragments from the Gospel of Judas find

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
      As you probably know, the Gospel of Judas book find did not consist of the
      Gospel of Judas alone, but also of other books, including Exodus in Greek
      and Colossians in Coptic.

      Some of the Exodus fragments have now been published:

      "Seven papyrus fragments of a Greek manuscript of Exodus"
      Desilva, David A.; Adams, Marcus P.
      Vetus Testamentum 56 (2006) 143-170

      The full list of the Exodus leaves can be found here:
      http://www.breadofangels.com/geneva1983/exodus/index.html

      It has been said that the manuscripts were found near the village of Beni
      Masar, about 8 km south of Oxyrhynchus.

      There is one other image online, which depicts a portion of Exodus not noted
      in the Vetus Testamentum article above:
      http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/14//images/large/B_1_1bPAPYRUS_231790_0114.jp

      It shows a portion of Exo 3:21-4:3.
      I have made a rough transcription. Comments welcome:
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Exodus-text.pdf

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical commentary:
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
        I started to make this a private message, but it occurred to me that it could be
        relevant for other readers on the web site.

        Thanks to Wieland for making this all easily available! In his PDF transcription,
        however, he has created a "ghost variant" at one point --

        Near the end of Ex 4.1, he has read GAR OUK, but a closer look at the image shows
        that it is actually the "standard" text of GAR OTI O[...]. the final IO (with the
        right side of the O missing) does look like K, but other instances of K in the
        fragment have an angled right stroke, not a rounded one. Similarly, the T does at
        first look like Y (=U), but elsewhere in the fragment, the upsilon usually extends
        below the line, and has a deep V top, which does not occur here.

        Otherwise the transcription has little with which to argue. It is possible that
        the starts of the next letter can be deciphered in some lines with some
        confidence, and on one or two occasions that it might not be what is expected --
        e.g. the unique SUN- variant in Ex 3.22 might continue with O or W rather than S
        (although I have not suggestion for filling it out), and in the next to the last
        line, it is difficult to make out what follows the AUTHN, but it is not very
        rounded as an E should be.

        As to the variations, Wevers' Goettingen text cites the following attestation for
        the ECE (not APE) in 3.21 -- 64mg, 57'mg, 30'-85'mg x (I'm not exactly sure how
        the "mg" designation works for combinations like 57' [=57+413] and 85' [=85+321]
        -- I doubt that each member has the reading in its margin!), texts that usually
        are in the "hexaplaric" and/or "catena" categories. And at the end of 3.22, SATE
        is well attested, including in Vaticanus itself. So the fragment mostly supports
        the "majority" text, with only a couple of surprises, like the SUN- in 3.22.

        Anyhow, deep appreciation to Wieland. As soon as the CATSS textual variants has
        encoded Exodus, we can add this material to the file!

        Bob Kraft, UPenn

        > As you probably know, the Gospel of Judas book find did not consist of the
        > Gospel of Judas alone, but also of other books, including Exodus in Greek
        > and Colossians in Coptic.
        >
        > Some of the Exodus fragments have now been published:
        >
        > "Seven papyrus fragments of a Greek manuscript of Exodus"
        > Desilva, David A.; Adams, Marcus P.
        > Vetus Testamentum 56 (2006) 143-170
        >

        > The full list of the Exodus leaves can be found here:
        > http://www.breadofangels.com/geneva1983/exodus/index.html
        >
        > It has been said that the manuscripts were found near the village of Beni
        > Masar, about 8 km south of Oxyrhynchus.
        >
        > There is one other image online, which depicts a portion of Exodus not noted
        > in the Vetus Testamentum article above:
        > http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/14//images/large/B_1_1bPAPYRUS_231790_0114.jp
        >
        > It shows a portion of Exo 3:21-4:3.
        > I have made a rough transcription. Comments welcome:
        > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Exodus-text.pdf
        >
        > Best wishes
        > Wieland
        > <><
        > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        > mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        > Textcritical commentary:

        kraft@...
      • Wieland Willker
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2006
          Bob Kraft wrote:
          > Near the end of Ex 4.1, he has read GAR OUK, but a closer look
          > at the image shows that it is actually the "standard" text of
          > GAR OTI O[...].

          Yes, quite obvious now. I have corrected my transcription. Thanks for the
          note!

          I would like to make one other observation on the transcription in the Vetus
          Testamentum article.
          On page 168 the authors note a corrupted passage in Exo 35:22.
          Their reconstructed text runs:

          2 [GUNAIKWN PA]SWN EDOXEN TH
          3 [DIANOIA HNEGK]EN SOFIA EN H
          4 [SFRAGIS KAI] ENWTIA KAI DA
          5 [KTULIOUS KAI E]NPLÒK<E>IA KAI

          They write:
          "No other manuscript introduces SOFIA which is terribly out of place here.
          On the whole, then, the text is corrupt in these lines."

          I would like to note that SOFIA appears a few verses down in verse 35:26
          KAI PASAI hAI GUNAIKES hAIS EDOXEN TH DIANOIA AUTWN EN SOFIA ENHSAN TAS
          TRICAS TAS AIGEIAS

          One could suggest that the scribe jumped from EDOXEN TH DIANOIA in verse 22
          to EDOXEN TH DIANOIA in verse 26, and reconstruct the text like this:

          2 [GUNAIKWN PA]SWN EDOXEN TH
          3 [DIANOIA AUTWN] EN SOFIA ENH
          4 [SAN SFRAGIS KAI] ENWTIA KAI DA
          5 [KTULIOUS KAI E]NPLÒK<E>IA KAI

          The question remains how the scribe got back to verse 22 in line 4.

          Best wishes
          Wieland
          <><