Ruth in Gottingen LXX

  • James Spinti
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8, 2006
      I just received an updated availability date from Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht
      on the Ruth (4/3) Gottingen LXX. They expect it to be available in
      mid-July this year.

      HTH,
      James

      ________________________________
      James Spinti
      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
      Eisenbrauns, Good books for over 30 years
      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
      Fax: 574-269-6788
    • barthome1
      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2006
        Here a side question about Ruth and Ester.  I read some where that some of the LXX manuscripts have expanded versions of these two books.  Expanded when compared to what we get from the Masoretic text that made it into current English Bibles.  So what version will the soon to be published Greek Study Bible use?

        Bart

        Message 3 of 10 , May 10, 2006
          The Orthodox Study Bible, it is my understanding, will follow the text as laid down The Apostoliki Diakonia and cite text differences with the liturgical text. However, in talking with one translator it was explained to me that Rahlfs Septuaginta would be followed with text variations fron the liturgical text cited.

          On various discussion sites Rahlfs was said to be the sole text. So the answer to your question is I don't know, maybe someone does. I think Joel had a hand in the translation of the OSB maybe he knows.

        • barthome1@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 10 , May 10, 2006
            So does anyone know of English translations of the "expanded" versions of Ruth and Ester?

            Bart

            From: Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@...>
            > The Orthodox Study Bible, it is my understanding, will follow the text as laid
            > down The Apostoliki Diakonia and cite text differences with the liturgical text.
            > However, in talking with one translator it was explained to me that Rahlfs
            > Septuaginta would be followed with text variations fron the liturgical text
            > cited.
            >
            > On various discussion sites Rahlfs was said to be the sole text. So the answer
            > to your question is I don't know, maybe someone does. I think Joel had a hand in
            > the translation of the OSB maybe he knows.
            >

            > Peter A. Papoutsis
            >
            > ---------------------------------
            How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger�s low PC-to-Phone call rates.
          • bradley anderson
            Message 5 of 10 , May 10, 2006
              This has also been a question of mine.  I had certainly gotten the impression from all of the online information indicates that the Rahlfs text will be used in the OSB project.

              I am relatively new to LXX studies, and am still making my way through the archives of this list, so please forgive me if I am making comments/asking questions that have been answered before.

              Is the critical apparatus in Rahlfs alone is adequate to the task of finding the Byzantine textual tradition of the LXX?  Because of the emphasis on the uncial MSS, its references to the miniscules (which I assume constitute the primary Byzantine textual tradition) seem not always to be clear to me.  Is this a fair assessment of the Rahlfs critical text?

              BWA

              Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@...> wrote:
              The Orthodox Study Bible, it is my understanding, will follow the text as laid down The Apostoliki Diakonia and cite text differences with the liturgical text. However, in talking with one translator it was explained to me that Rahlfs Septuaginta would be followed with text variations fron the liturgical text cited.

              On various discussion sites Rahlfs was said to be the sole text. So the answer to your question is I don't know, maybe someone does. I think Joel had a hand in the translation of the OSB maybe he knows.

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Peter Papoutsis
              Message 6 of 10 , May 10, 2006
                I don't know how the OSB people will use Rahlfs' LXX text as several books and several chapters of several books show great variation. Do you go with Codex Vaticanus in portions of Judges or with Codex Alexandrinus? what about Tobit, Daniel's extra Chapter's, etc.? Rahlfs gives us every LXX text available at Rahlf's time, but makes no determination which LXX text the Church should use.

                The Apostoliki Diakonia and Zoe Brotherhood texts, which are a modified version of Rahlfs LXX text, makes those decisions and has an established text. However, both the Apostoliki Diakonia Text, Zoe Brotherhood text and Rahlfs' text are different from the LXX text found in the Orthodox Church's liturgical texts. How do you reconcile those?

                One way is to pick a LXX text translate it into English and leave the LXX text in the Liturgical books alone. Do not establish any liturgical/biblical continuity. This is not very appealing to me, but it has been the "De Facto" tradition of the Orthodox Church.

                The Other way, which is what I have done, is to list the variants between text and liturgical LXX texts in footnotes to any given English translation. This does NOT establish continuity, but establishes some.

                The final way is to pick a LXX text for both Biblical and Liturgical use. That is the difficult part, and which requires a Pan-Orthodox Church Council to authorize such a move.

                Hope this helps some. What do others think?

              • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                Message 7 of 10 , May 10, 2006
                  Bart, I don't recall any extensive expansion of Ruth in the LXX versus MT, =
                  but there is such in Esther. The entire LXX version of Esther has been tra=
                  nslated and included in the New Revised Standard Version. If you don't hav=
                  e or want a full NRSV, it is possible to buy a volume of just the apocrypha=
                  . Or, of course, to just read it online somewhere.

                  Regards,
                  Kevin P. Edgecomb
                  Berkeley, California

                  ---- <lxx@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  > So does anyone know of English translations of the "expanded" versions of=
                  Ruth and Ester?
                • George Blaisdell
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 11, 2006
                    >From: barthome

                    >So does anyone know of English translations of the "expanded" versions of
                    >Ruth and Ester?

                    Peter Papootsis has a great translation of Ruth - In the full version, not
                    the contracted one, I believe - If you ask him, I should think he might post
                    you a copy, or direct you to one...

                    btw, is your first name Clayton? [from the b-greek list of years ago?]

                    Rdr. Arsenios

                    [Geroge Blaisdell - Roslyn, WA]
                  • barthome1@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 11, 2006
                      From: "George Blaisdell" <maqhth@...>

                      Nope, my first name is Barton. I was on the b-greek list for a while, but I am not Clayton.

                      Bart
                    • George Blaisdell
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 11, 2006
                        Thanks, Barton -

                        My own middle name is Burton, Barton, and it's nice to meet you! :-)

                        I thought that the spelling of your last name was different - I am
                        remembering Clayton Sterling Bartholomew as his name, now that I think about
                        it...

                        Rdr. Arsenios

                        George Blaisdell
                        Roslyn, WA

                        "Be not troubling of you the heart..."
                        [From the Gospel of John, Chapter 14, verse 1.]