Composition of Septuagint

  • Joan Griffith
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2006
      Hi,
      I am new here. I have read that the Septuagint was prepared using
      different rescensions of the Torah, speaking of the basic effort.
      There was a Palestinian or Samaritan one, the Babylonian or Masoretic
      text, and another one. Does anyone know how much of each might be in
      the Septuagint? I gather it seems closest to the Pentateuch of the
      Samaritans, and that does not seem correct since Jews & Samaritans
      never got along. OTOH, I heard that they had a copy of the Pentateuch
      prepared by Ezra the priest, and so the Jerusalem Pentateuch could be
      the same.
      any ideas?
      --
      Joan
      That is the best - to laugh with someone because you think the same
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2006
        Hi Joan:

        Why don't you start off with sharing your sources with us? Where did you
        read that the Septuagint was prepared using different rescensions of the
        Torah? I mean what is the title of the book and who is the author? If
        you can provide quotations from it, that will be even more helpful.
        Likewise when you say "I heard that they had a copy of the Pentateuch
        prepared by Ezra the priest, and so the Jerusalem Pentateuch could be the
        same;" can you tell us where you heard this? It will again be helpful if
        you can point to a written source. On this list, we're generally
        interested in working things out in detail and answering authoritatively
        to questions about the LXX and related trends in history, culture, and
        literature. So, one of the first steps is to get into specifics about
        sources of information, who are good authorities on the questions raised
        and what can actually be confidently known about the issues. So, look
        through your sources and post again with as much detail as you can, even
        providing quotations from sources where possible.

        James