RE: [lxx] Masorets and LXX text

  • Bill Ross
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 9 11:05 AM
      <Bill>
      Yes. Get the OnlineBible at www.onlinebible.net and you can have all that and more for free!

      Bill Ross

      ________________________________

      From: lxx@yahoogroups.com [mailto:lxx@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Pat and Jim Ellis
      Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 12:31 PM
      To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [lxx] Masorets and LXX text

      Ashley Crane <acrane@...> wrote:

      Hi Ivan,
      Actually you cant get one English translation as both the Greek and Hebrew texts must be treated with respect in their own right – and the differences between them should not be harmonized. �We have two traditions before us – thus we will end up with two English versions.

      I would like to see the two English versions in parallel columns.

      I don't know of anythng in existence like that.

      ________________________________
    • Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 14, 2006
        James, I think in this case, the translators' note was not adhering to the
        technical definition of "family." The various versions of Tobit fall into
        essentially two large groups, representing two literary versions of Tobit:
        that of Sinaiticus representing the longer OL/NRSV text, and that of
        Vaticanus and Alexandrinus representing the shorter Vulgate/RSV text. I
        suppose "Sinaiticus family" is, though technically incorrect, colloquially
        understood to reflect just that distinction.

        Regards,
        Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Berkeley, California