Re: [lxx] Masorets and LXX text

  • Philip Silouan Thompson
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 9, 2006
      Pat and Jim Ellis wrote:
      > I would like to see the two English versions in parallel columns.
      >
      > I don't know of anythng in existence like that.

      It'd be difficult. Not the two-column verse-by-verse parallel
      presentation - that could be done with software scripts - but when
      texts diverge significantly, somebody would need to manually either
      add gaps in the appropriate column where text is present on only one
      side, and address the numbering of chapters and verses in divergent
      texts.

      Not at all impossible, but time-consuming. Sounds like a labor of
      love. Volunteers? :-)

      Silouan
    • Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 14 6:40 PM
        James, I think in this case, the translators' note was not adhering to the
        technical definition of "family." The various versions of Tobit fall into
        essentially two large groups, representing two literary versions of Tobit:
        that of Sinaiticus representing the longer OL/NRSV text, and that of
        Vaticanus and Alexandrinus representing the shorter Vulgate/RSV text. I
        suppose "Sinaiticus family" is, though technically incorrect, colloquially
        understood to reflect just that distinction.

        Regards,
        Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Berkeley, California