Re: [lxx] translation of Sinaiticus OT

  • Kevin P. Edgecomb
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 27, 2006
      Bob Kraft wrote:
      > Not to your question about the series, but since S has a
      > text of Tobit that is quite different from MSS AB rell,
      > you will find that it is pretty much the basis of some
      > new translations of Tobit such as NRSV -- see the New
      > Oxford Annotated Bible introductory note: "the NRSV of
      > Tobit is based upon the Sinaiticus family as supplemented
      > by the Old Latin" (not quite pure S, but pretty close).

      KPE writes:
      That's what I recalled too. Relatedly, the RSV text is substantially the AB version, so there's a quick comparison possible in the RSV and NRSV versions for Tobit.

      Regards,
      Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Berkeley, California
    • Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 14 6:40 PM
        James, I think in this case, the translators' note was not adhering to the
        technical definition of "family." The various versions of Tobit fall into
        essentially two large groups, representing two literary versions of Tobit:
        that of Sinaiticus representing the longer OL/NRSV text, and that of
        Vaticanus and Alexandrinus representing the shorter Vulgate/RSV text. I
        suppose "Sinaiticus family" is, though technically incorrect, colloquially
        understood to reflect just that distinction.

        Regards,
        Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Berkeley, California