Song of the Three/Dan 3

  • Randall Gauthier
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 3, 2006
      Is anyone familiar with any scholarly works/discussion
      on the origin, textual/literary/theological issues,
      etc. for the so-called "Song of the Three"
      (Brenton),or the LX/Th versions of Dan. 3:51-90?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 14 6:40 PM
        James, I think in this case, the translators' note was not adhering to the
        technical definition of "family." The various versions of Tobit fall into
        essentially two large groups, representing two literary versions of Tobit:
        that of Sinaiticus representing the longer OL/NRSV text, and that of
        Vaticanus and Alexandrinus representing the shorter Vulgate/RSV text. I
        suppose "Sinaiticus family" is, though technically incorrect, colloquially
        understood to reflect just that distinction.

        Regards,
        Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Berkeley, California