James 4:5

  • patandjimellis
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23 10:03 AM
      James 4:5 says, "Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, 'The
      Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously.'" This is quoted from The
      Complete Apostles' Bible. Other versions read similarly. This is
      presented as a quote from the Old Testament but I don't know of a
      verse or verses like this in the OT. In the Macarthur Study Bible, the
      author has the following note:
      "Scripture says. A common NT way of introducing an OT quote.... The
      quote that follows, however, is not foound as such in the OT; it is a
      composit of general OT teaching..." page 1932 of the MacArthur Study
      Bible.

      Does anyone have any insight on this? Is this perhaps a quote from an
      apocryphal book?

      On Oct 7th, Cindy Smith responded to one of my posts and provided a
      list of "New Testament references to the deuterocanonicals/apocrypha
      of the Old Testament." There were several passages cross referenced
      for the Episte of James but there was no listing for James 4:5 included.
    • Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 23 8:34 PM
        Pat and/or Jim,
        Luke Timothy Johnson's Anchor Bible volume on James offers an interesting solution (p 280):
        "The key is punctuation. If, with Nestle-Aland 26th edition, we place a colon after "says/speaks," then this verb serves to introduce the next clause, which must logically be understood both as a quotation and as an affirmation. It is better to take the two parts of this verse as two rhetorical questions, as in 4:1. Then, legei is taken to mean not "says," but "speaks" (compare Rom 3:5; 4:3; 11:4; Phil 4:11). Finally, the referent for this speaking is taken to the be the explicit quotation in 4:6 from Prov 3:34 (as seen by Oecumenius). The adverb kenos means empty/vain/useless/to no purposee (compare Epictetus, Discourses II, 17, 6). This is its only occurrence in the NT, but see the use of the adjective in Isa 49:4 and earlier in James 2:20. In the present case, it asks whether Scripture speaks to no effect (Laws, 174) or without meaning what it says (Ropes, 261)."

        Johnson translates James 4:5-6 thusly: Or do you suppose that the Scripture speaks in vain? Does the spirit which he made to dwell in us crave enviously?  Rather, he gives a greater gift.  Therefore it says: "God resists the arrogant, but he gives a gift to the lowly."

        Regards,
        Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Berkeley, California
      • Bill Ross
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 25 7:57 AM
          Could this relate to this?:

          ASV
          Ge 6:3 ¶ And Jehovah said, My Spirit shall not {1} strive with man for
          ever, {2} for that he also is flesh: {3} yet shall his days be a hundred and
          twenty years. {1) Or rule in; According to Sept, Vulg, and Syr abide in 2)
          Or in their going astray they are flesh 3) Or therefore}

          Bill Ross

[...]

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/eCfwlB/TM
        • Bill Ross
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 23, 2005
            <Bill>
            I have onlinebible and it includes both an LXX and and LXX English text -
            wonderful!

            My problem is that I often like to look at LXX usage of words and need a way
            to search for all occurences of a certain Greek word, despite how it might
            be decilined. OnlineBible does not handle that very well for the LXX (while
            it is great for the Hebrew).

            Would anyone recommend BibleWorks or Accordance or better yet - another free
            package?

            Ideally I would love to do a search on a word and have the program return
            both LXX and WH occurences.

            Thanks,

            Bill Ross

            PS: OnlineBible, along with LXX and LXXe is available free of charge from
            www.onlinebible.net

            PPS: I love your site.
          • Ken Penner
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 23, 2005
              Zack Hubert's site is free, and allows searching LXX and GNT by lexical
              form.

              http://www.zhubert.com/asearch

              Ken Penner
              Acadia Divinity College / Greek & Hebrew

              pennerkm@...
              Flash! Pro vocabulary software: http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/flash or
              Purchase: http://tinyurl.com/6tg2d

              > My problem is that I often like to look at LXX usage of words
              > and need a way
              > to search for all occurences of a certain Greek word, despite
              > how it might
              > be decilined. OnlineBible does not handle that very well for
              > the LXX (while
              > it is great for the Hebrew).
              >
              > Would anyone recommend BibleWorks or Accordance or better yet
              > - another free
              > package?
              >
              > Ideally I would love to do a search on a word and have the
              > program return
              > both LXX and WH occurences.
            • Bill Ross
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 23, 2005
                <Bill>
                Thanks. But even after reading the tutorial, I fail to see how I would
                search the LXX for, say all occurences of all forms of AGAPH, though it
                looks like it is intended to be possible. Can you possibly tell me what I
                would enter?

                Bill Ross

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 23, 2005
                  <Bill>
                  Ah, I see, at least using the bible interface, rather than the search
                  interface. Quite powerful!

                  Thanks so much!

                  Bill Ross