NT and LXX text criticism

  • James Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 2005
      Here is a quotation from an article by Gordon Fee. It refers to
      text-critical method in NT studies after Wescott and Hort: "With the
      rejection of Hort's genealogical method . . . there has emerged a method
      that may be properly called 'eclectic.' Essentially, this means that the
      'original' text of the NT is to be chosen variant by variant, using all
      the principles of critical judgement without regarding one MS or text-type
      as necessarily preserving that 'original.'" Does this same situation of an
      "eclectic method" that chooses the original text variant by variant rather
      than relying on the authority of particular manuscripts or text-types hold
      for LXX text critics? I believe it does, as the Goettingen volumes seem to
      be just this sort of eclectic text. But it would be good to get
      confirmation from other authorities on the similarities and/or differences
      between eclecticism in NT as opposed to LXX text criticism. Input, anyone?
      Bob?

      Thanks, James
    • James Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
        I'm going to try to "bump" this topic so it might attract some notice. No
        one has ventured any response yet. I will only add that in sources I have
        consulted on LXX scholarship (mostly in English since my German is not so
        good) I have found no discussion of text critical method. I assume the
        Goettingen folks are following the lead of NT text critics following WH,
        perhaps considering the eclectic approach to stand in no need of
        justification or explication. Can anyone comment, please?

        Thanks, James

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
          I apologize for my silence. It is a bad time of the year for such diversions!

          The short answer is, of course, Yes and No.

          Yes, the "eclectic" method is widely accepted (e.g. in the Goettingen project,
          as in classical studies), and it is difficult to imagine what the alternative
          would be if one is interested in getting as close as possible to the first
          translations, centuries before our oldest extant extensive witnesses.

          No, the approaches will not be identical since the understanding that there was
          a base text from which most of the Greek materials were translated (the
          hypothetical Hebrew/Aramaic on which the first translations were based), and
          that there continued to be contacts between some Greek transmitters and the
          Hebrew/Aramaic materials available to them, raises methodological issues that
          are not present (or at least not so obvious) with the NT (or classical Greek)
          texts.

          Perhaps still helpful on these matters is the volume I edited in my youth
          entitled "Septuagint Lexicography" (1972 more or less), or at least the articles
          gathered therein. Unfortunately, I don't have it available yet in electronic
          form, and I don't have time right now to supply the table of contents.

          Bob

          > I'm going to try to "bump" this topic so it might attract some notice. No
          > one has ventured any response yet. I will only add that in sources I have
          > consulted on LXX scholarship (mostly in English since my German is not so
          > good) I have found no discussion of text critical method. I assume the
          > Goettingen folks are following the lead of NT text critics following WH,
          > perhaps considering the eclectic approach to stand in no need of
          > justification or explication. Can anyone comment, please?
          >
          > Thanks, James
          >
          > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, James Miller wrote:
          >
          > > Here is a quotation from an article by Gordon Fee. It refers to
          > > text-critical method in NT studies after Wescott and Hort: "With the
          > > rejection of Hort's genealogical method . . . there has emerged a method
          > > that may be properly called 'eclectic.' Essentially, this means that the
          > > 'original' text of the NT is to be chosen variant by variant, using all
          > > the principles of critical judgement without regarding one MS or text-type
          > > as necessarily preserving that 'original.'" Does this same situation of an
          > > "eclectic method" that chooses the original text variant by variant rather
          > > than relying on the authority of particular manuscripts or text-types hold
          > > for LXX text critics? I believe it does, as the Goettingen volumes seem to
          > > be just this sort of eclectic text. But it would be good to get
          > > confirmation from other authorities on the similarities and/or differences
          > > between eclecticism in NT as opposed to LXX text criticism. Input, anyone?
          > > Bob?
          > >
          > > Thanks, James

          kraft@...
        • Matthew Johnson
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
            --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kraft <kraft@c...> wrote:

            > I apologize for my silence. It is a bad time of the year for
            > such diversions!

            Some of us have trouble remembering when the peak load times of the
            academic schedule are;)

            For completely different reasons, I was too busy to reply also. But
            now I can at least add that the FAQ for this Yahoo! group has a little
            something to offer; in particular, it mentions Jellicoe as a
            reference, which describes much of what you mentioned.

            The FAQ is at http://students.cua.edu/16kalvesmaki/LXX/LXXFAQ.htm.

            Weingreen is also a good text on OT Textual Criticism in general,
            which includes at least some coverage of LXX/OG issues.

            Of course, you can find it on Amazon at:

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0198154534/qid=1130902419/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7324203-5837659?v=glance&s=books

            It even has nearly universal positive ratings, and 33 used copies
            still available.