Pietersma's Psalms

  • John Jackson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
      I have a copy of Albert Pietersma's translation of the LXX Psalms on
      order. Has anyone read it? Is it a good translation?

      John Jackson
    • Peter Papoutsis
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
        Yes, its a very good translation, but very literal, not liturgical, in nature. I have a copy and love it alot.

        Peter

        Peter A. Papoutsis

        Yahoo! for Good
      • Bart Torbert
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
          On a somewhat related note I can reccomend "The Poet's Book of Psalms" edited by Laurance Wieder.  In the past retranslating the Psalms, adding ones own poetic flare, was a quite popular hobby.  This would seem like a really good way to study them in great depth.  I have to hand it to the Muslims for insisting that the Koran be kept in the original Arabic and making their members learn the language.  Now if we could just get our schools back to teaching Classical languages.

          Bart

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005

            Dear Peter,

            thanks for the reply. I look forward to getting my copy! So it is more literal than liturgical. It shall be interesting to compare his work with brentons.

            John Jackson

            From: Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@...>
            To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 21:03:59 -0700 (PDT)

            Yes, its a very good translation, but very literal, not liturgical, in nature. I have a copy and love it alot.

            Peter

            Peter A. Papoutsis

            Yahoo! for Good

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            SEEK: over 80,000 jobs across all industries at Australia's #1 job site. Click here.