English Translations of LXX

  • barthome1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005

      Last year I heard that there were a couple of new English translations of the LXX that were about to be published.  Are these available yet?  Does anyone have any comments on these editions?

      Bart
      barthome1@...
    • Peter Papoutsis
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
        The Orthodox Study Bible has just gone to the press at Thomas Nelson and will be out early to mid 2006.

        The NETS Bible (New English Translation of the Septuagint), according to their website, will be out in late 2005. However, provisional translations are available for download from their web site.

        Paul Esposito, from Strauos Ministries, has done a light revision of Brenton and has called his work the Apostle's Bible. The 2005 version is currently out that includes, according to Mr. Esposito's website, a bit more revisions to the OT and his New Testament translation as well as the Apocryphal books.

        Apostle's Bible.Com has an on-line interlinier translation of the Septuagint, based on the Compultusian Codex with notes from the Bos edition of the Septuagint.

        Finally, I translated the Septuagint into English (just the first five books) from a modified version of Alfred Rahlfs's Septuagint taking also into consideration the Greek Orthodox Church's Septuagint readings found in its liturgical books. This book can be found on Amazon, Light & Life Publishing and my website www.peterpapoutsis.com

        Hope all this infor helps.

        Peter A. Papoutsis

        Yahoo! for Good
      • patandjimellis
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
          --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@y...> wrote:

          > Paul Esposito, from Strauos Ministries, has done a light revision of
          Brenton and has called his work the Apostle's Bible. The 2005 version
          is currently out that includes, according to Mr. Esposito's website, a
          bit more revisions to the OT and his New Testament translation as well
          as the Apocryphal books.

          Today I received my copy of "The Complete Apostles' Bible" from Amazon.
          This is Paul Esposito's translation. It contains the Old and New
          Testaments. Inside the front cover it says:
          "The Complete Apostles' Bible

          Old and New Testaments

          Revised and edited by Paul W. Esposito

          Old Testament translated by Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton

          New Testament Translated by Paul Esposito"

          A couple of surprises:

          1. The Psalms are numbered like they are in the KJV, etc.
          i.e. Psalms 9 and 10 are not combined like in my LXX. A note says that
          "In the Septuagint, Psalms 9 and 10 are combined, and the Psalm
          numbers differ from this point on. The Apostles' Bible follows the
          traditional Psalm divisions, to avoid confusion.

          2. There is no index or table of contents.

          3. The Old Testament Apocrypha is not included.
        • Peter Papoutsis
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
            That a shame. I hope you still enjoy the book. In my humble opinion if an English translation of the LXX does not contain the Apocrypha then it should not be called the Septuagint.

            Peter

          • Pat and Jim Ellis
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
              --- Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@...> wrote:

              > That a shame. I hope you still enjoy the book. In my
              > humble opinion if an English translation of the LXX
              > does not contain the Apocrypha then it should not be
              > called the Septuagint.
              >
              > Peter
              >

              > Peter A. Papoutsis

              It is a large book with 8 1/2 by 11 size pages. It is
              paperback. It does have Psalm 151, plus the additions
              to Esther and Job. It does not include the Song of the
              Three Hebrew Children nor the other additions to
              Daniel. The cost was $44.95 which I would consider
              reasonable. But I was disappointed when I found that
              it did not include the Apocrypha, Sirach, Tobit,
              Wisdom, etc. Of course, being Pentecostal, that should
              not have bothered me.
            • srgreenup
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
                I have had the paperbook "THE APOSTLES BIBLE" LXX only edition for about eight months.  I like it's large format which helps with notes when comparing with Masoretic translations.   I agree that it would have been nice for it to include the Apocrypha but Paul Esposito already had his hands full without it.  I for one thought it was a refreshing treasure since Brenton's is 145 years old.

                The use of the standard text arrangement is useful in finding the textual changes made by the Masoretes and those before them to conform the Word to Judaism.

                In Christ