Jonah 4:11

  • philippe guillaume
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005
      Dear all,

      Can anyone help me find out whether or not the question mark ";" at the end of LXX Jonah (4:11) as printed in the Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft is well attested?

      Many thanks in advance

      --
      Dr Philippe Guillaume
      Stelserstrasse 478A
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005
        I'm not sure how well attested the Slavonic of Jonah
        itself is (see discussion of the origins of the
        Slavonic and Russian translations here a couple of
        weeks ago), but it does have a question mark at the
        end of Jonah 4:11.

        Regards,
        Chris Gait
        Nokesville, VA

        --- philippe guillaume <Philippe.guillaume@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005
          > Dear all,
          > Can anyone help me find out whether or not the question mark ";" at the en=
          > d=20
          > of LXX Jonah (4:11) as printed in the Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft is well=20
          > attested?

          Punctuation is a relatively recent editorial feature of ancient Greek texts, if
          that is what you are asking. In the earlier manuscripts the reader would have
          had to infer that a question was intended by the syntax -- EGW DE OU FEISOMAI
          .... You might check on such constructions to see if grammarians invariably
          identify them as introducing questions, and also check the early versions to see
          if the translators indicate that this is a question (in languages that provide
          sufficient clues to such constructions).

          Possibly the question mark occurs in late byzantine punctuated manuscripts,
          which would provide impetus for that feature in the printed texts such as Rahlfs
          and Goettingen. I don't have images of such manuscripts at hand, so am unable to
          check. Perhaps someone else does and can.

          Bob Kraft

          > Many thanks in advance
          >
          > --=20
          > Dr Philippe Guillaume
          > Stelserstrasse 478A
          > CH-7220 SCHIERS
          > Tel. +81 330 34 37
          >
          > ------=_Part_14341_9530349.1126022822510

          > <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

          > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
          > <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
          > <ul>
          > </ul>
          > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
          >
          > <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

          > ------=_Part_14341_9530349.1126022822510--

          kraft@...
        • philippe guillaume