Re: [lxx] very important

  • Philip Silouan Thompson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2005
      Dear Fady Rofaiel,

      There is a tradition in the Orthodox Church that the Elder Simeon was
      one of the 72 translators of the Jewish Bible from Hebrew into Greek.
      The story is that he was unwilling to translate Isaiah 7:14 as "a
      virgin" so God made him live until the promise was fulfilled. 200 years
      later, he held the baby Jesus, and prayed the prayer you mentioned: "Now
      You are letting Your servant depart in peace, for my eyes have seen Your
      salvation: A light to the nations and the glory of Your people Israel."
      Outside the Orthodox Church that tradition is probably not taken
      seriously but that's okay.

      The translation you're talking about is called the "Septuagint" (Latin
      for "seventy" because 72 men translated it). It's too big to email it to
      you, but you can download it in Greek or in other languages from
      http://students.cua.edu/16kalvesmaki/lxx/Texts.htm There's also a lot
      more information on that website about the Septuagint.

      Hope that's helpful!

      Reader Silouan Thompson
      Wala Walla, Washington